Possible sealed copy of Led Zeppelin II RL pressing??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dkswaff, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spear and Magic Helmet

Spear and Magic Helmet Forum Resident

I am a manager of a radiology unit. Possibly a very light "soft tissue" technique may reveal something on standard CR. I'm bringing in one of my LP's to test this hyposthesis. . . However unlikely, I'll try by best to read the deadwax

2. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I'm shocked he has not opened it yet, it's a mint sealed LP??? You will be able to play this classic without popping and crackling to ruin the listening experience. If it turns out to be an RL, great, if not, you still have a mint sounding LP.

Jrr, Ash76 and bruce2 like this.
  3. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

..AND fill out your equipment profile! :shtiphat:

Ash76, Murph, Vinyl Socks and 2 others like this.
  4. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

It was a cut-out. As far as I'm concerned that devalues it despite being sealed. It may be a defective pressing, I can't believe this title wold ever be a cut-out unless there was a problem with the pressing (perhaps over-used stampers).

5. Yes not really white. Still, not brown!

Giorgio likes this.
  6. Ain't that the contrary instead? I don't own this album myself anymore, but relying on post #294 (with pictures)...

7. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Great info.

If I ever want to chisel in RL onto a copy of LZII I'll know all the signs that people will look for now.

yarbles likes this.
  8. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

This is the type of thread were I sometimes don't know if people are being serious or just making elaborate jokes. I mean.... there isn't any emoticon in this post..

Daven23 and ParloFax like this.
  9. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Ha. :laugh: My timeline may be slightly off.

vudicus likes this.
  10. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

It's a lighting and reflection-based color difference between the top and the bottom. I don't think the color is actually browner at the bottom...just my guess.

ParloFax likes this.
  11. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Definitely just open it and Im confident to believe and bet that it ain't RL-pressing.
    Coloring and etc ain't looking correct at all on your copy.
    It's probably just only some more regular pressing of LZ II that you have there.
    What if the album inside is some Donna Summer album and you try to convince yourself in vain about.
    Just look for the facts and listen to these people giving you things to consider and tips on what to do.
    I would never pay that money for album if I felt unsure really about pressing and having that hole in the cover.

Neonbeam likes this.
  12. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

I can't hop off the wagon on this one. There's a lot of quality info here that is helpful to many, no doubt. Hopefully, the longer the thread stays peaceful...the more there will be to learn.

xTraPlaylists and ParloFax like this.
  13. MCSVT

MCSVT Forum Resident

Yes true, but it isn't brown, which is a sure sign of it not being a RL pressing.

Giorgio likes this.
  14. 2trackmind

2trackmind Forum Resident

Whoever drilled that hole in that particular spot wasn't very smart. Buying sealed records is a gamble. I used to do it. I opened one only to find it cracked in four pieces. Luckily I didn't pay much for it, but I haven't really purchased any sealed records since that incident.

That said, I do hope it turns out to be an RL and in tact.

15. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

I say if you don't want to open it, don't open it. Everyone is different in this world and are moved by different wants, desires and motivations. Saying "records are meant to be played" is like telling a car collector that "cars were meant to be driven". "Cars were meant to be driven" was probably thought up by the manufacturer so they'll wear out, get damaged or destroyed and you'll be back at the dealer to buy another which translates to more profits for the manufacturer. Same could be said for records!

dkswaff and blueslover99 like this.
  16. Spear and Magic Helmet

Spear and Magic Helmet Forum Resident

No elaborate joke at all. Good humor should not require any "emoticon" to convey its intentions, I would hope. I manage a diagnostic imaging unit. As I write this I sit only feet away from a plethora of imaging mechanisms. :magoo: I am too old to use emoticons.

jtw, ~dave~~wave~ and ParloFax like this.
  17. major_works

major_works This is my Custom Title

Yes, there is indeed good info. Can't deny that. I have never been one for buying sealed records, of any vintage, without opening and playing them, but in this case it wasn't my $70. I never bought records with an eye toward resale or collectible value.

I no longer own my first copy of LZII bought shortly after the LP came out (but not immediately), but if memory serves, it had the Gold Album sticker and was most likely not a Ludwig cut anyway. I still played it loud and still loved it.

18. mrgroove01

mrgroove01 Still looking through bent-backed tulips

This thread is addictive fun! Obviously, unless medical imaging technology can reveal such a detail, there's really no sure way of knowing what's in that jacket without opening it. But I love the mystery, including the OP's ambivalence and hearing opinions on the subject as a whole. Maybe a documentary film about this is in order? There's about 50 or so of us here who'd want to see that!

If it were mine, I would not hesitate to open it. While I love the mystery here and all the deliberations, I'd want to get right to the bottom of it.

Jrr and kozy814 like this.
  19. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Where do you live? I'm going there to open it for you! You're killing us here.:goodie:

Gavinyl, ParloFax and moonshiner like this.
  20. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

I have an entire rack of unopened vinyl. The purpose is not expressly to keep them that way. Every so often I will crack one open for the thrill of brand new wax. HOWEVER, I do not have a LZII. I'd imagine the temptation would be too much if I thought I had a RL.

dkswaff likes this.
  21. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

Fun thread for everyone except the OP, unfortunately.

Daven23 and ssmith3046 like this.
  22. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

AllsImsayin' is that one of my RL's has a gold sticker on it. Does an RL with a gold sticker command more value on Ebay? ;)

dkmonroe likes this.
  23. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I predicted the discovery of this LP back in 2010 (closed thread)

What are the chances of finding a sealed copy of the RL-cut Zeppelin II?
    So it looks like the kid only got one shot off at the LP before somebody stopped him and convinced him to sell it! What are the odds? :laugh:

24. AndoDoug

AndoDoug Forum Resident

Open it. Film it. Stop faffing around

25. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

FILM it? You are a cheeky one, aren't you? :laugh:

AndoDoug and Ash76 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.