Possible sealed copy of Led Zeppelin II RL pressing??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dkswaff, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

2. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL

I think he's referring to the stereo label on the upper spine of the cover.

3. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Gavinyl, bootbox, Jrr and 1 other person like this.
  5. QuestionMark?

6. QuestionMark?

I've discarded better ones than that!

7. hutchenstance

hutchenstance Well-Known Member

Ash76, Gaslight and airpfaff like this.
  8. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Sick people are charged THOUSANDS of dollars to use said machines. The fact that you'll be using them to check a matrix on an album is absurd.

This Heat likes this.
  9. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

:laughup:

dkswaff likes this.
  10. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

But it IS a double RL with a hole punch....

Paully and xTraPlaylists like this.
  11. hutchenstance

hutchenstance Well-Known Member

those particular skips are quite rare... I know because I have a few and have never had one skip 15 times in those particular spots.. I think he's being a bit foolish letting it go for a pittance...

Gavinyl and daveidmarx like this.
  12. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

And don't forget this bonus in the description: There is also considerable surface noise throughout the entire record.
    Not loud pops or ticks, at a high volume it plays with the slight sizzle of
    bacon frying.

Mmmmmmmmm. Bacon.

The cover looks pretty dark, too.

Gavinyl likes this.
  13. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

Maybe he's playing it on a turntable from Woolworths.

14. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I have a "Monarch" RL pressing that has the wider trail off.

15. jrnyfn

jrnyfn Forum Resident

Just saw this post. The height of stupidity. Is the OP a troll? Where's the logic? "I'm going to buy a sealed copy of an album because maybe it's rare but I'm not going to open it." Why buy the album at all if you either couldn't establish the value or weren't interested in listening to it? It's got a drill hole through the cover. $70 is probably too much for it anyway. If it's not the RL pressing then it's worth about $70 as an opened but unplayed copy. If it is the RL then you can sell it for upwards of $500-$700. If it's one of those pressings that was way "over corrected" from the RL it's not even really worth keeping as a collector.

struttincool, sami and Jrr like this.
  16. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

One ...... more..... post......to....get....to...20.....pages

Paully likes this.
  17. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

Nuts!

18. nbadge

nbadge the stars were right

$54 is a pittance? Are you serious or just kidding? If you are serious, and assuming his detailed description is accurate, what do you consider a fair price?

19. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

He's talking about the top left corner of the cover.

20. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

if the shrink is covering the drill hole it's a re-seal. But the track list sticker seems to indicate it is not, so I would think the hole is through he shrink as well. OP can tell us if he wants to.

21. berlinerpunk

berlinerpunk Record Collector

This is like Dkswaff's version of Al Capone's Vault...except we never get to peak inside. How can you seriously post a question about a possible sealed RL pressing to this forum and not expect EVERY person to tell you to open it no matter how you phrase the question? WE ARE RECORD AND GEAR JUNKIES - we want to share in your satisfaction of opening an RL and playing it! The truck driver analogy is correct - nobody knows what is inside unless you open it or actually had first hand knowledge (like buying it the day it came out) - even a child knows you can't read a matrix # through a sealed record. If you spend any amount of quality time in these forums, you would know that overpressed covers and labels get used at later dates (as do stampers with some remaining life - 1 sided RLs sound familiar???) - you can guestimate pressings but unless you see the matrix #s, you can't be sure. I have plenty of sealed records in my collection but if I got my hands on this one, you best believe I would have opened it and played it - RL or no RL. There are 19 pages of comments....I give up. Just open it.... you can't take it with you.

sami and Ash76 like this.
  22. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

It's like buying a packet of trading cards in the hope that there's a rare autographed foil hologram card in the pack but leaving it sealed in case there actually is one in there.

AndoDoug and mrgroove01 like this.
  23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Can you seriously not tell he is being sardonic?

bootbox, hutchenstance, Ash76 and 2 others like this.
  24. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Whether or not it is an actual RL or GP or whatever, you still have a "mint" original Led Zeppelin II. That should say something in it's own right.

Back in the late 1980's when CD's were really making inroads, I saw boxes of vinyl records at stores like "Target" blowing awesome records out for $.99 to $1.99. I suspect your LZII may have been one of those. They punched the holes in the covers so that you couldn't return them for full price. Up until then, I never saw Led Zeppelin or Beatles records in the "cut-out" bins. Those records were always constant sellers and never in overstock piles. I picked up a lot of great vinyl in the late 1980's and early 1990's when folks were dumping their vinyl collections. Just like they are doing with CD's now.

showtaper likes this.
  25. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Has he opened it yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.