Possible sealed copy of Led Zeppelin II RL pressing??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dkswaff, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

I think he might be afraid the drill cracked the record. It sure looks like a possibility. If he opens it and that is the case he might be able to still get a refund. If he waits it will be too late.

Efus likes this.
  2. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

You need to back off. Your answers are in the thread. It's done.

3. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins

This feels like a reality show: The mystery of LZ II: RL? Pretty entertaining, and I don't like reality shows. At the end of season, the scope goes into the cutout hole and---"dun dun"----stay tuned for season two next year.

Ash76, GTOJUDGE and Efus like this.
  4. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

This thread is growing faster than Beatles one.

daveidmarx and Vinyl Socks like this.
  5. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Well not for nothing, but I don't like you badgering the guy because he won't do what you want him to do, so it'd be great if you eased off a bit with the Grand Inquisitor act.

Getting back to what this might be, as mentioned before, the RL cut has advertisements for other Atlantic releases on the inner sleeve, (versus I think a plain brown sleeve in later cuts?)
    Anyhow, if you could wedge a toothpick between the cover and sleeve in the hole perforation, lift it a bit and cast a bit of light in there, and you maybe able so see if those album ads are on the sleeve. If the ads are there, your odds just signifigantly improved.

FWIW, I am in the open it up camp, because you don't have an RL LZ II, until you verify it.
    Personally, I don't think the x-ray thing will work, I've seen a stack of records in an airport x-ray machine, the outline of the covers barely show, the labels are white with no visible writing and the rest is a black circle.

LivingForever, forthlin and dkswaff like this.
  6. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

If you had a pair of Xray Specs they used to sell on the back of Marvel comics you could find out for sure. The guy in the ad was looking right through his hand to his bones and was blushing red when a pretty girl walked by. :D

[​IMG]

7. dkswaff

dkswaff Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you for your info!! I will give it a try. Pretty sure he has an XRay and an ultrasound machine so we'll see. I've never bought a sealed record before because I only buy stuff from the 80's and earlier.

8. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

I think the drill went in and out of only cardboard and paper. Hold an LP up to its jacket and see how far the edge of the record is from where the OP's hole is.

Efus, the inner sleeve on the copy I mention in post #21 of this thread was white.

I wonder if the shop owner believed it is not an RL and therefore decided not to put it up for auction. I suppose it's also possible the shop owner is unaware of this pressing. dkswaff, was there any conversation about it when you checked out?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    Efus likes this.
  9. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

I bought a pair those when I was a kid. Didn't work. Should've asked for a refund.
    Too bad I didn't have Paypal back then.

10. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

If it's not about money "per se", just open it. It will not lose value if it's gently used. It will certainly be worth more than $70. Jesus.

11. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

They've got feathers in the lenses which splits your vision and makes some objects invisible. Whoever thought them up was smarter than Steve Jobs.

12. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

This place sounds like a bunch of bullies. Pressuring this guy into doing what you want him to do.
    Fact is, none of us will know for sure unless it is opened, and if he is saving it for monetary value then it is most certainly worth more sealed (especially if it's not a RL).

13. dkswaff

To be honest. He just purchased over 30 big boxes of sealed vinyl. He was giddy and going through the Beatles stuff while I was there. He already had all the Pink Floyd stuff priced and on the walls at prices from $75-$200 depending on the album and had just put the few Zeppelin albums in the bin. Although not sealed I also purchased a Rubber Soul loud cut matrix -1 for $50. He always has really good old stuff and I don't mind paying a little more for audiophile stuff. That's why I scour this forum daily.

tmtomh and daveidmarx like this.
  14. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

You are right - the record is safe from that hole position. I have a double RL (narrow deadwax on Side 2) and a later, awful-sounding Rockefeller Center pressing. The cover of the later pressing is actually a lighter shade than the RL.

tmtomh likes this.
  15. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

You got something against truckers, son? #justopenit

16. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

I don't think it's an RL. The cover looks like a mid '70's era cover. Forget about the RL factor, and then do what you would normally do with a vintage sealed LP. I have a very large collection of vintage sealed vinyl, and it will stay that way. Don't live for what might be; live for what is.

daveidmarx and dkswaff like this.
  17. dkswaff

Thank you for this. I was looking for the most expert in this field when I came here and have received some great info as expected. I also would not judge the actions of the many by the actions of a few. The "Open it or you're a bloodthirsty moneygrubber" don't really have any of their feet in reality. Either way if I found out tomorrow it was for certain a sealed RL copy I'm not running anywhere to sell this. I'm a collector as well as an appreciative of great vinyl.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  18. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

Isn't it a blast being in a record store when this is happening? Well, even if you never find out what pressing this is, I'll bet you could get enough at auction to cover your cost and pay for a decent copy of one for yourself.

19. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I've got 50000 ohms says inside the shrink it's not a Led Zeppelin record at all, but a Vic Damone album.

20. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Like the previous forum members have said, the cover isn't going to tell you much of anything. You will either have to open it to know for sure or pass it on and go for the sure thing. However, one has to remember that the best guess is that only 200,000 RL versions of LZII were pressed before Atlantic discovered that the pressing was too hot and decided to remaster a toned down version for QC. The probability that you have an actual RL is pretty low but not impossible.

As far back as I can remember, I never heard about the RL pressings until decades later and no recall rumors were surfacing at that time. I own one only because I bought the record the first day it came out. I also own a copy of the George Piros cutting that I like just about as much. I am a big fan of that and promote that version to LZ fans that can't pony up hundreds of dollars for an RL version

21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Eh, being in the medical field, I can say with fair certainty that it isnt possible to read dead wax info from radiographic imaging. Nor would an mri, I dont believe. Nor will ultrasound tell you anything.

22. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

I think you should open it and play it, but it's your record. My gut feeling says this is a mid to late 70's issue, was thrown in the cutout bin, and probably not an RL. When I purchased my LZ albums in the late 70's (all after 1977 except for ITTOD) many of them came with track listing stickers on them, just like that one, and they all had that same font. Are you sure that sticker with that font came on the first issue of the album. I'm pretty sure it also came on later issues too. Anyway, good luck and have fun. It's all about enjoyment. No anxiety allowed.

23. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Have you seen this page? It's got the same sticker on the back as your copy.

Roots Vinyl Guide

jeff

jamesmaya and Vinyl Addict like this.
  24. hutchenstance

hutchenstance Well-Known Member

interesting...thanks for that!

25. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

I'm staying awake until this thread has a lock on it :agree:

tmtomh and 3Dman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.