Possible Simon & Garfunkel Reunion at Grammys

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by reechie, Feb 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

2. reechie

reechie Senior Member Thread Starter

I haven't really cared for the turn Paul Simon's live singing voice has taken over the last five years, and Art sounded sweet but a bit weak. Overall though, I didn't think it was all that bad. For what it was (nostalgia), it was nice to see them together again.

3. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

I would take a dim view if they sounded like they really were not very informed, like many rock stars do, I think they embarrass themselves (Fred Durst). While I consider my views a bit right of center, I do like certain liberally opinionated people because of their intelligence. For example, I don't agree with Steve Earle's political views entirely, but there's a guy that makes you think. Same with film maker Michael Moore. I don't agree with them but I will always listen to what they have to say because I respect their intelligence, or appreciate the way they share their message.

4. I saw Paul and Art last night and I thought that they sounded really good, especially considering that they haven’t performed together for years. I thought that Art acted like he was really into it, but Paul looked like he was disinterested. Maybe he was just nervous? Considering that they were the opening act for the show, I guess that he had a right to be nervous.

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

they got together and they did very well for not playing together for quite a long time. The vocal style is ery hard to perfect. They're getting on, too. For two old friends, they did really well.

It was worth every moment to have seen it. The sound wasn't sharp as a tack, but that's not where I got the warm fuzzies.... I hope ya understand! :)

6. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

I think what you meant to say was: "A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

7. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I did not think they were that bad. The guitar sounded great on the DD feed. Their voices sounded OK too. I was struck at how they looked like two old guys, but don't we all. (And Paul was not wearing a hat!)

Maybe Paul was concentrating on his guitar. He probably has not played that tune in some time, so he had to concentrate on the vocal harmony as well.

And as was mentioned, this was the opening, and if you noticed they were positioned IN the audience. Paul may have been a little spooked.

Remember the Central Park Concert, when Paul was singing "The Late Great Johnny Ace" for the first time? He was really into this John Lennon tribute, and this dude ran out screaming "I have to talk to you". With all that is happening in the world, Paul may have been a bit "uneasy"!

All in all, it was a great moment for those who were their when the song first came out.

8. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Cheeky!! ;)

9. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Even after all these years performing there still could be nerves, especially since they hadn't sung together in so long.
    I'm not one who's praying for a new album or even tour. I don't think it's possible to recapture the old magic. Maybe I'm wrong, I would'nt be upset if I was.

And yeah, I'm glad Paul took off the damn cap he always wears.

A friend pointed out that Art looked a bit like Mr. Burns.
    If Paul was wearing Coke bottle specs, maybe he'd look like that little old guy Franz.
    Just a thought.
    Dan C

10. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

I think, under the circumstances, some nervousness would be understandable. They do, after all, have a lot to live up to. Problem is, with their lack of practice together and the toll of age, it would've been awfully difficult for them to just jump on stage last night and give a performance of the quality of circa 1968 or 69.

Still, with some settling in, I think they could come a lot closer. I mean, geez, it's Simon & Garfunkel. Whoever considers themselves a fan of their music and didn't get at least some thrill from seeing them last night oughta check their pulse!

11. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I missed this performance since I came home about 8:45 from a daytrip to Atlantic City for a classic car show and to drop off a donation at Caesar's. Anyway, I didn't think of recording the show and I'm sorry I missed this. All I saw of the S&G performance was a short clip on the news of their reunion - too short for me to judge whether it was good or not, although it seemed OK in what I saw. It was nice to see them performing together again. I did see a little bit of S&G backstage on the news, and I have to agree with Luke. There almost seemed to be a bit a nervousness, but they looked kinda happy to me backstage.

12. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Cool! A "Boxer" reference. Nicely done Marry A Carrot!

13. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Maybe Paul and Art don't like each other

This from the New York Post.
    http://www.nypost.com/gossip/pagesix.htm

[The sounds of bickering

SIMON & Garfunkel fans shouldn't expect a reunion tour - ever. Art Garfunkel and Paul Simon bickered like ex-spouses at the sound check Sunday afternoon and almost didn't make it onto the stage later for the Grammys, where they appeared together for the first time in 10 years. According to sources at Madison Square Garden, Garfunkel said to Simon: "You don't play for me - you play for yourself! We have to play in sync." The two "went at it" and the stage manager cleared everyone else from the stage while the former partners went to their respective dressing rooms to cool off. Simon's rep, Dan Klores, branded our sources "liars," and swore the fight never happened. But one of our witnesses said: "It happened. I was one of the people cleared from the stage. It is a shame because they would make a ton of money if they did a tour, but they looked very uncomfortable in each other's presence."]

14. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I believe it. It's a shame. It seems like Simon REALLY has a grudge against Garfunkle.

I remember when the song BOTW was the rage, and Art got a lot of credit for the vocal. Paul was ticked off because he wrote it. Later in his career, he sang it himself, proclaiming that it was "HIS" song.

15. That's too bad. IMHO, the only reason that Paul Simon is a star is because the team of Simon and Garfunkel was a star. Without Garfunkel, there would be no Simon.

16. thenexte

thenexte Forum Resident

Has anybody seen the Grammies in HDTV and 5.1 surround sound? I could not believe how much more detail the 5.1 sound added, it gave me a lot more appreciation for the greatness of the live performances at the show...
    -wolf

17. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I did! It was GREAT. The sound was incredible. Paul Simons guitar sounded like it was in my room.

18. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

In all fairness, Paul DID write the song, and he has every right to sing it at his concerts.

19. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member

Who would have ever thought Neil Young would tour with CSN again let alone make another studio album before S & G would kiss and make up. I saw them sing and something didn't seem right

20. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I enjoyed S&G's performance on the Grammies, but they certainly didn't appear particularly engaged with one another. Paul in particularly looked pretty unhappy to me. While Paul has obviously had success as a solo artist far beyond Art Garfunkel, I still think Art is the stronger singer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.