Post a photo of a good psychedelic album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ironclaw, Apr 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

In the white room with black curtains near the station
    Black roof country, no gold pavements, tired starlings
    Silver horses ran down moonbeams in your dark eyes
    Dawnlight smiles on you leaving, my contentment
    I'll wait in this place where the sun never shines
    Wait in this place where the shadows run from themselves
    You said no strings could secure you at the station
    Platform ticket, restless diesels, goodbye windows
    I walked into such a sad time at the station
    As I walked out, felt my own need just beginning
    I'll wait in the queue when the trains come back
    Lie with you where the shadows run from themselves

Your point is fair, but on the other hand, I'm pretty sure Robert Johnson never wrote anything much like that.

2. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Yes, I was just writing an edit to the above post:

Not to speak for the OP, but there are a number of straight-sounding records with tripped out covers in this thread.

FWIW there's a quote from Jerry Garcia on his definition of psychedelic music:

Jerry Garcia: Portrait of an Artist as a Tripper

Sadly, the interviewer missed an opportunity to follow up on that question. Like 'how, in what way,' etc.?

3. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

Psychedelia’s a tough genre to define based on sound alone anyway.
    I’d call this album more stoner rock than psychedelic but nevertheless very trippy. More by Pink Floyd.[​IMG]

4. StarDoG

StarDoG Forum Resident

Often overlooked classic.... [​IMG]

5. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Fair enough. Then there’s the whole story about Cream playing in San Francisco in 1968..

6. I don't want my psychedelic musicians just being stoned. I want them showing me, in music, that they're stoned! This one doesn't count. :p

7. Horse Majeure

Horse Majeure Forum Resident

Psychic Lemon
    [​IMG]

musicarus likes this.
  8. Phil Lesh feels the same way: he once offered his opinion that "psychedelic music is music you listen to when you're psychedelic." I think I know what he was getting at: music has intrinsically mind-altering properties. Of course, a lot depends on the definition of the term "psychedelic." And on the idiosyncrasies of personal musical taste, the kind of music that one finds pleasing.

I think the follow-up for that particular question is to try to answer it for yourself. I remember "being psychedelicized" and visiting a friend who put a Roberta Flack album on a little stereo record player, some nondescript compact device. And then he dialed the stereo to the exact balance where the mix jumped out. Lush arrangements with these little MOR touches, at just the right volume to put Roberta Flack's vocal in high relief in the foreground. And I uh flashed that music didn't need to be all about guitar histrionics to be "psychedelic"; the music on that LP was, on its own terms, bending my mind. Just the neatness of how it fit together, the subtlety of it. It was one of those lessons. I started hearing more deeply into details of music to which I had formerly paid little notice.

Conversely, I have no use for the definition of "psychedelic music" that applies the label exclusively to music featuring portentous lyrics supported by fuzz-tone guitars playing "heavy riffs." Music with those characteristics might demonstrate qualities that I find to be psychedelic, or I may find it less mind-bending than that Roberta Flack LP I mentioned. More importantly, I might think it sounds good, or I may reject it as not worth my time and put on a Fred Neil record or a Judy Collins record, instead. Or Frank Sinatra, for that matter. Or Mahler's 5th Symphony, &c. Or Bach...if you've never heard one of JS Bach's compositions in a psychedelically enhanced condition, check it out some time. I recommend the solo works for keyboard. One instrument, constructing all that complex musical architecture. It's resplendent.

To return to the original thread topic, the cover of that Roberta Flack LP is pretty psychedelic
    [​IMG]
    (yeah, I suppose my friend and I might have seduced each other, if only the slightest sexual interest had been present. But, nope...elements of the setting were there, but the set was not. I had just showed up to buy some weed from the guy. Sometimes a song is just a song, and a record cover is just a record cover. )

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Rodant Kapoor and ianuaditis like this.
  9. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

[​IMG]

A percussive psychedelic album.

10. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

[​IMG]

Come on no one else thought of this one?

11. continuing in line with the TMI, net-paranoid "it's none of your business, Interwebs, but for the record, I'm NOT GAY" parenthesis of my previous post
    [​IMG]

(I might as well admit to that personality quirk now, to obviate the requirement for more interrogation by inquiring minds...in other news, I can't explain why my net-paranoia has now shifted to wondering whether I'm now under some woke obligation to post examples of hot pinup art featuring women of other than the blonde persuasion. But if I were to do that...it's a logical double-bind.)

some of you sharp-eyed aficionados may recognize that cover as an apparent re-licensing by the artist, harkening back to the cover of an LP by a different musical duo. Or outright bootlegging of cover art, for this 1997 release by Jam&Spoon.

ianuaditis likes this.
  12. fairies

fairies Forum Resident

13. fairies

fairies Forum Resident

14. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

At a screening for a movie that may or may not have been released (I can't recall at the moment) of a festival in Europe that the Doors -- and Jethro Tull -- and others performed.

Turned out that as I was leaving the theater I happened to be walking right next to Robby, so we spoke for a few minutes as we walked to the "signing area."

Ray Manzarek was also supposed to have been there, but was a no-show (or I'd have both of their signatures on the cover).

Glenn Cornick of Jethro Tull was also supposed to have been there, but was a no-show (I had brought a Tull "Benefit" LP cover for him to sign).

The event was about 9,000 or something miles from your home Down Under, MrMojoRisin, so you probably wouldn't have been able to make the trek even if you'd known about it!

15. fairies

fairies Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Ignatius likes this.
  16. fairies

fairies Forum Resident

17. fairies

fairies Forum Resident

18. fairies

fairies Forum Resident

19. fairies