Post a picture of your childhood stereo

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tomhayes, Jun 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member Thread Starter

What's the stereo/radio/system that you had that you could listen to anything you wanted on as a child?

I got this in 1982 and used it till 1988 and it's "the stereo" I listened to the music I loved the most:
    The Yorx M2677 LP player with DOUBLE cassette AND AM/FM radio.
    [​IMG]

I'd tape songs of the radio with it.

It's what I played my Paul Young, B-52s, Madness, Kool Moe Dee, Public Enemy, Beastie Boys, Beat Farmers, Devo, Howard Jones, Thompson Twins, They Might Be Giants, XTC, and all the other music I loved in high school on. made dozens of mix-tapes on too.

I inherited the main/good stereo in 1989, but this was the one I loved.

Carlox, mr clean, sbsugar and 5 others like this.
  2. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

We had mono in my childhood :realmad:

mr clean and The FRiNgE like this.
  3. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Here is the very first Zenith Stereo, however, I don't want to miss my first reel to reel, a real keeper!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

I’m pretty sure I’ve posted these before.

Dad’s Grundig console....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mr clean, MacGyver, 33na3rd and 16 others like this.
  5. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I don't think they made cameras way back when I received my first stereo system ;)

I probably had an Instamatic or a Brownie but I didn't unfortunately take any pics and neither did my Dad who had a Rollieflex.

audiomixer and timind like this.
  6. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member Thread Starter

I found an actual photo of the stereo with me and a frined:
    [​IMG]

7. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

When you get away from those pre-school record player's into a real portable record player like this Zenith or a previous mono version like this one, you start getting into some units that actually sound really nice, so like the cheap portable units that so many think of.

mr clean likes this.
  8. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I got my first stereo that I could call my own when I graduated HS back in 1987.
    Stumbled upon a pic recently.

[​IMG]

Darryl

mr clean, hi_watt and SandAndGlass like this.
  9. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

My dad's system from 1974 (Wega 312 Stereo):

[​IMG]

mr clean, hi_watt and Litejazz53 like this.
  10. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Is that an old Coleco Adam computer? I had one of those in the 80’s. Pretty fair system, when it wasn’t in the shop for repair.

mr clean and hi_watt like this.
  11. recklessczar

recklessczar Forum Resident

12. recklessczar

recklessczar Forum Resident

1957 5 years old first radio

mr clean likes this.
  13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

My Dad bought me this one Christmas to head me off from investing in my first set of components,
    which is what I took my first job for in jr. high school, in the first place. With this ugly piece of
    (technically) "audio equipment" in my bedroom, I couldn't justify being ungrateful and
    having some decent sound into my life. At least...not right then.
    [​IMG]
    I honestly do not know exactly how artificial you have to treat plastic, to make it come out
    that color. All I know is, it made the French's Mustard bottle in the refrigerator, very horny.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    rocnred, mr clean, gd0 and 11 others like this.
  14. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

My brother had a GE Trimline similar to this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    mr clean and Kyhl like this.
  15. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Senior Member

I also had that General Electric, but then I got this [​IMG]
    Its a Radio Shack Clarinette - I forget the model. I loved this, and I played so much music on it through middle and high school. It sounded great.

mr clean and sbsugar like this.
  16. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I don't have pic of my first system, this is my second system as a teen in HS. The speakers were some simple full range drivers, nothing special and don't remember if they were brand name or something from Sears or Monkeywards....

[​IMG]

mr clean and hi_watt like this.
  17. Macman

Macman Senior Member

[​IMG]

This is the exact model of Clairtone stereo we had in our home when I was a kid. It had a Garrard turntable. Pretty good sound, as I recall. My parents still had it about 15 years ago but tossed it. I wish I had taken it.

mr clean and LH5 like this.
  18. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

My Aunt had one of these. It was very similar to my Truetone one. Except mine was black!

mr clean likes this.
  19. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I found this pic online. It is the same model as my Truetone but has the Emerson Wildcat name slapped on it instead.

[​IMG]

mr clean likes this.
  20. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

Didn't HAVE Stereo---I had MONO and was quite proud of it.
    My "Silvertone by SEARS" guitar amp worked if I plugged my BSR Monarch record changer into it.
    I was AMAZED.
    It actually sounded GREAT for 1962.
    I was 13 years old.
    My neighbor was an aviation engineer for Eastern Air Lines and had Altec 603A 15" Coaxials and a Sherwood receiver and he couldn't believe I was an audiophile at age 13.
    After that I built Layfayette and Eico kits, built a radio station for junior high school and took my Wollensack tape recorder setup to tape folk concerts I ran at age 14.
    Pretty heady stuff.
    By college I had all Dynaco gear and bull nose large Advents.
    It all helped me as a musician learn the parts to popular songs for my band which played the same stage as Led Zepplin over at "The Image" in North Miami.
    I owe a lot of my way ward youth to learning about audio equipment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

clhboa, mr clean and Rickchick like this.
  21. winged creature

winged creature Forum Resident

22. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I can't find any pictures of my childhood Radio Shack Clarinette 12 record player. But it was a somewhat similar to the OP's stereo, except it was only a record player, and the speakers were smaller and were enclosed in cheap plastic boxes.

mr clean and Wayne Hubbard like this.
  23. Reever

Reever Forum Resident

Not my photos, but my first stereo was purchased in 1978 with money I earned washing dishes and cooking at a local restaurant. I was 14. As you see below, a Marantz 2216b and 6100 TT. Can’t remember the model, but I had a set of 3-way Utah speakers. All that, plus a newly minted membership in the Columbia House Record Club....

Bliss. The best of all possible worlds in a basement bedroom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

swvahokie, clhboa, mr clean and 6 others like this.
  24. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Mine was problem plagued. My first Stereo. Couldn't play a styrene 45 without shredding it brand new. Got new cartridges and styli 4 times, got a new changer several times under warranty. GE refunded Mom's money, and replaced the records it damaged. I wound up buying a 1964 Philco consolette with a VM 1200 family changer, the Tetrad medium output ceramic which tracked at 2 grams, and AM/FM stereo radio which also had a more powerful amplifier and better speakers, at a yard sale for $5. I recapped the amp, rebuilt and overhauled the VM changer, and installed a new stylus, and it served me well for about a year, then my first broadcast job as DJ and assistant engineer bought my first Dynakit/AR/Scottkit based separate components. I handed the Philco down to my step-sister, she used it for some years, she gave it back to me.

I recapped it again, rebuilt the changer again, new cartridge, new stylus, and gave it to a friend of mine with Cerebral Palsy in a group home to play his records on so he would have something better than the Crosley he had a few years ago. I am about to give him a separates system soon which I've been getting up to working like new, and he'll be getting the Audio-Technica AT 3600L cartridge which is rugged enough for him, and good. He loves music, can't afford much music, I want him to have decent sound, and I give him vinyl and gift certificates at the used store when his group home goes shopping.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  25. MusicForAll

MusicForAll Forum Resident

First was a Singer portable stereo. Second was a Sears Quad system.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.