Post Allman Brothers "Idlewild South" MFSL Impressions Here

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cortez, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cortez

cortez New Member Thread Starter

I guess it has now shipped so what do you think of the album?? Did MOFI do a good gob on this one. How does it compare to the Drake, 97 Remaster, Dreams boxset mastering of the albums songs, etc. I have yet to get it as I have been very busy, a good busy(vacation), but will get it very soon. Thanks

2. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

Just received an e-mail today from Acoustic Sounds that my pre-ordered copy finally shipped and is on the way. Will report back.

3. idelwild south

Hi, i am really not that familiar with this whole album but, the mofi version seems very warm with great seperation given to both channels.the sound is better than the remastered version from a few years back.My good friend is a allman fanatic he says this is as close to the original vinyl version he ever heard.well i hope this helps alittle.::

4. acjetnut

acjetnut Senior Member

Mine is on its way - I will post my review as soon as I get it.

5. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I have had mine for several days, I have only listened to it once, but I have nothing to compare it to. Mine is #388.

Mike Campbell likes this.
  6. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I will try and give a listen tonight, I got it #103 last week but haven't had a chance to listen to it. I have the original LP, Drake CD and had R2R so I know what it should sound like. Cool mini cover but I hate the MFSL switched packaging.

7. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Cool Tommy. Interested in your opinion on this.

8. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

Agreed....I can't stand the new packaging. Give me my jewel case! Rant over. My copy is on the way....can't wait to hear it!

9. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

This gold CD is the first time I've ever heard this album, but it sounds very good to me. As others have said, the packaging sucks.

I'd gladly trade individual numbering on these new MFSL packages for a standard jewel case + standard booklet.

Craig(VC).

10. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

I'm a big supporter of MoFi - let's face it, they're basically the only specialty label left that caters to digital audiophile remastering.

Having said that, I'm not quite sure what to make of the new numbering scheme. The MFSL pressings were alway limited in number as the licensing for individual titles was also limited to a specific period of time, was it not?

But having releases numbered only makes sense to me if the total pressing volume is also known - similar to what Rhino Handmade has done and is doing with its reissues.

Or am I off-base here?

11. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

Having releases numbered only makes sense if we're talking vinyl, and the numbers indicate the order in which the records were pressed, assuming that each press wears the pressing plates down a tiny bit.

12. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I don't believe that even with any numbered vinyl I have purchased it indicated the order in which the records were pressed. Most of the number "limited edition" vinyl I have has either a numbered sticker on the jacket or, like the MOFI CDs, have an embossed number on the jacket. I have to assume that these are arbitrary numbers that have no relation to the pressing order of the vinyl. Therefore, according to your logic, numbered releases have no validity at all (in most senses).

Regardless, I am sure low numbers even on a CD limited release are more sought after by collectors (if one collects numbered editions). I am sure if you got a CD with # 1, even if it doesn't indicate pressing order, you could get a premium for it on the collectors market.

13. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Got mine today and on a quick listen to Elizabeth Reed it sounds excellent. But need to listen to it all the way through.

14. visprashyana

visprashyana New Member

I know that this is not true at all as the numbering and vinyl production are completely unrelated to one another at the pressing plant.

15. Tom in Houston

Yes, I agree that they don't coordinate the actual pressing order with the numbers on the jackets. They would have to declare that they were doing this for numbered sleeves to have any genuine value.

Genuine value and prices on the collector's market are rarely tied together. I agree low numbers command higher prices in a collector's market. Unless we are talking the Beatles' White album where it is rumored the low numbers were passed out to friends etc., the higher value of a lower edition number is all in the collector's head.

16. Tom in Houston

2 part conditional, the second if is implied by the use of and

...if we're talking vinyl, and [if] the numbers indicate the order in which the records were pressed...

17. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

That may be true, Mike. However, if they're going to number them at all, I think I'd still like to know the pressing volume.

If I end up with #0201, for example, it's a matter of interest to me if that's #0201 of 1,000 or 8,000.

18. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

I also don't have anything to compare it to but just popped in #237 and first impressions are Mofi is onto a winner with this one soundwise.

19. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Can you gives us a little more detail in what you are hearing that impresses you?

20. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

My first impression was "It's a winner" - same as I felt when I put on 'Bookends' MFSL, Steve's 'Who's Next' or Love's 'Forever Changes' remaster for the first time.

Very nice soundstage, instruments well defined and pretty lifelike, excellent stereo imaging, no high end tweak so far as I can hear.. I don't sense the upper mids have been messed with though I am not as sensitive to that as some.

As I say I'm not really the man to pass judgement as this is the first time I've heard this record!

21. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

I second this and I have heard the Drake, Remaster and original vinyl

22. Tom in Houston

Here's my first impression post from the original thread
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=114806&page=7

08-11-2007, 01:13 AM #127
    Received my copy of Idlewild South today from Music Direct. Loved the listen that followed!

It's not futzed with - sounds just like the $3.99 LP my brother brought home from Budget Tapes & Records in 1970, but better defined.

The imaging is very nice. Your eyes can almost follow the sound of the assembled singers as "People can you feel it, love is everywhere" rolls slowly from left to right and back again.

The duel leads playing off each other in the middle of Midnight Rider are both strong. My memory of them has them sounding as if they are sapping each other's power supply as they step over the end of the other player's phrase. It's never sounded better!

Please Call Home sounds so very good while reminding me why I like Gregg's vocals.

When I said unfutzed with, I should point out my subwoofer wasn't dancing with bass drum, or low bass, from B. Oakley or from Gregg's organ. That wasn't the sound on the original LP and to their credit MOFI hasn't smoked in a bigger bass sound than is there on the tapes. I was aware of every time someone bumped a microphone though - the subwoofer spoke up. I am thinking that no low filter or roll off was used; we're hearing just what's there.

I'm happy.

----------------------------------------------

I own all the previous releases. I'm not going to compare them for the simple reason that this one is best and it would be a waste of time to listen to the other masters when I want to hear my new one. I'll never be able to convey the degree of difference between this and any other master anyway.

Don't misconstrue my endorsement of this master as a slam on any previous releases. I was glad to get each one as they came out, and I will continue to keep them for potential reference.

QQQ and driverdrummer like this.
  23. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Same feeling you got from "Bookends"? wow. Now thats one helluva disc.Looks like I am leaning towards getting this one also.

driverdrummer likes this.
  24. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

That the last MFSL disc I really thought was great straightaway before this one - YMMV!

25. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

The Linda Rondstadt?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.