Post Allman Brothers "Idlewild South" MFSL Impressions Here

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cortez, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Music Emporium

Music Emporium Forum Resident

:p :p :p
    I've ordered it from Jonifan , I can't wait to have it.............. If only MFSL could release the beatles on gold disc too..............

2. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

Wrong. Not only did I do the first two Allman Brothers Band albums, they were received favorably.
    If I may suggest to you, if you don't approve of MFSL's reissue of this one, don't buy it. That's what I do when a release doesn't appeal to me. ;)

3. evad

evad Well-Known Member

John....thanks for the friendly response and correction. You were Right and I was Wrong.

4. Is the 10% off promotion for SH forum members still valid?

5. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

Yes, got mine on request for total after purchasing.

6. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

About the Idlewild being a rip off at 30 minutes...

Was it considered a rip off when the album came out originally? What were they suppose to do do a two -fer?

As far as the titles selections they should be doing I would think there are just as many people that are not Zep and Tull fans etc as there are people who are not Allman Brothers fans.

So its a matter of personal taste not whether or not they chose decent titles currently.

Now if were "Cafe Blue" or some othr obscure artist/album I could see the arguement ( even though I dont mind cafe blue).

But the Allman Brothers first album not a good title? or a rip off?nope.

I dont think its a good arguement again simply a matter of it aint one of *my* favorite bands so I think it to be a bad choice.But a bad choice in general?.. nope.

7. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I played bothe the Linda and the Allmans last night. Great sound on both and I like the new packaging.

8. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

When it was new it sold for a dollar less than the usual price for an LP. That was an easy answer for the shorter length. (20 or 25% off)

The length has been a problem ever since. CD format complicated things further.

Those of us who know this album from its original vinyl days, don't want it two-fer'd.

Don't wait to buy sitting pissed over the length. There are enough of us oldies around to buy up the entire run. Remember as well that the Allman Bros. have a very loyal fan base. The Fillmore East MFSL CD set is thought of as "the" set to have by many in this group. It's a natural for them to want to pick up Idlewild South MFSL.

9. ec461

ec461 Forum Resident

Do you know how many copies they are going to press or how long the licensing is on this title?

10. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Nope. No waiting here. Order was placed a day ago :) . I was really responding to those who are griping about the title selection and the length of this album on cd. It was what is was and it is what it is.

Plus I would dare to say that most the albums that we hear now that are longer are just a bunch of filler anyway.Im all for a quality 40-50 minute album.Most peoples attention and listening ability doesnt hold out much longer than that anyway.

I think its perfect the way it is. My two-fer comment wasnt something I was suggesting but rather something said to make the point that it wouldnt be a good idea and MFSL has made a great decision to release this the way they have. Length and all.

11. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Does Mick know about this?:D

12. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

In a word, no.

I have never known with MFSL. I know that I've missed out on many titles by thinking they would still be available retail when my finances were in better shape. Tomorrow never came. Meanwhile the discs went out of print.

13. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

:confused:

Such as?

I think they are doing much better with tiltes lately.

Linda Ronstadt, The Allmans, Little Feat, no Patricia Barber.

14. acjetnut

acjetnut Senior Member

Got mine on Friday. I think it sounds very natural.

Here is a clip of "Midnight Rider"

15. evad

evad Well-Known Member

see post 50

16. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

:goodie: :righton: Si....!

17. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

When it came out absolutely nobody returned it for being too short! I'd take 30 minutes of greatness over 80 minutes of stuff any day of the week!

So....you want roll-over Allman minutes? :p

18. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I do agree with you Dave that perhaps MFSL could have done this as a 2/fer (with S/T?) due to the length of the Idlewild album. They have done this in the past with their Beach Boys, Kinks, Jam, & B.O.C Ultradiscs.

It would have been a better value but I am still very pleased with the new releases.

19. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

:eek: :o
    :laugh: :laugh: Thanks Larry, I met Midnight Rider....oops :o

I'm surprised it took this long to be noticed..:righton:

20. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

You MET The Midnight Rider? Did he let you catch him?:D

21. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

Larry Mc - I thnk ther is smthng the mater with your keybord :D

22. howardg6

howardg6 Senior Member

Fault still there

Thanks acjetnut for posting clip of Midnight Rider. I notice that the click which is present on all other versions of the track (Beginnings, Idlewild South various AB compilations) has not been removed from this release. It occurs at 0.11 seconds. Can you confirm it is it on the disc.

Many thanks

23. acjetnut

acjetnut Senior Member

Sure, I'll check when I get home.

24. howardg6

howardg6 Senior Member

25. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

:bigeek: :biglaugh: I should be paid for making this big of an a$$ out of myself. :laugh:

I am using an old keyboard in memory of Elizabeth Reed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.