Post Allman Brothers "Idlewild South" MFSL Impressions Here

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cortez, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Lets hope the sales for this title are enough to excourage MFSL to continue with the releases of their material. S/T would be a logical next step!!

2. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

Yep :righton:
    I hear you.
    Shawn, are you listening? ;)
    Actually, a good argument could be made for Enlightened Rogues as well. An excellent but very under-rated Allman Bros. album, IMO.

nibor likes this.
  3. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

If S/T flies on Mofi airlines, please, please, please use the original album mix that sounds rougher and rawer....not the revised mix from around 1980. I'll only spring for the original.

4. cortez

cortez New Member Thread Starter

I agree, I would love to have the first album get this same treatment with the original mix being used. It would be nice too if MFSL did the 90's studio albums and I wouldn't mind them doing "Hittin' the Note" either as it is compressed, not super bad but it can be hard to enjoy on a revealing system.

I have had the MSFL "Idlewild South" for a few weeks and I like it a lot. I will post more impressions after a few more listens comparing to other releases.

5. fatcat28037

fatcat28037 Forum Resident

Very well done remaster by MFSL, I have serial #01210

6. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

How many of these things are they pressing (or any of the other numbered releases for that matter)?

7. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

Got mine today, sounds great!
    No:02469

8. John Cantrell

John Cantrell Active Member

I've asked that question too.

Let me know if you find out ;)

9. You are certainly correct about Hittin' the Note. It is a great album and really well recorded, but the (not extreme but clearly present) compression makes it less enjoyable on a good system.

10. Plexihead

Plexihead Well-Known Member

Just received MFSL's Idlewild South yesterday and have already listened to it about ten times (easy to do since it's only 30 minutes long). I think it sounds excellent, better than the lp I remember but it has been a while since I've heard the music on that format. Very happy with the purchase!

BTW, I have #02232 so they do seem to be selling which is a good thing. Let's hope sales continue to grow as word get's out of what I think is a great mastering job of a classic lp.

Let's hope MFSL decides to release the debut lp also, but as was previously mentioned preferably in it's original mix.

11. ec461

ec461 Forum Resident

So has anyone done any more comparisons to the Dennis Drake? Still need to pick this up, and so far whatever I've read hasn't convinced me that this worth the extra $10 over a used Dennis Drake CD.

12. I still think the MFSL is the winner over the Dennis Drake, by a small margin. See my previous post:

If you really like this album, I think it is really worth it to pick it up. It is not that expensive.

13. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I bought mine at Borders for $21.00 via a 30% off coupon. I think it sounds fine, and I'm really looking forward to the Rush and Santana disks. Also, I have to say I do like the mini LP cover packaging. It's a bit snug, but that's no big deal.

14. jazzlistener

jazzlistener New Member

I got this last week and gave it a listen this afternoon. This is as good as I've ever heard Red Book CD sound. Throughout the entire album the soundstage was larger than the room - tall, deep and wide. The imaging is also outstanding.

I wonder how the LP will sound???

15. Rachael Bee

I relistened to Idlewild yesterday and it's mighty fine. I wish I could get their 1st album done up similarly....sometimes I feel like I'm down on the whipping post looking for a decent vinyl copy, with the original mix. If Mofi would pop out the first 'un, my listening worries would be over, well for a half of an hour or so....!

16. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

The original mix of the first album was issued on CD by Polygram in 1997. However, during the mastering or authoring process, they messed up CD track features which flag the track start times for the CD player. If you own the 97 cd of the debut Allman album, you will notice if you press the forward or backward button on your CD player the songs starts in progress. Start times appear 2 seconds off.

17. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member

I just got #3457. Sounds great on my system. Very analog like. MFSL have winner with this one. I like the mini lp cover as well.

I wonder how the LP version sounds?:righton:

18. anybody have the new MFSL lp? any opinion on sonics?

19. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I have enjoyed my CD from Mofi. Great remastering.

20. the new vinyl MFSL "Idlewild South"

21. IanL

IanL Senior Member

I just got the LP. I've only listened to it twice. I haven't heard the MFSL CD, my only previous copy was as part of the Beginnings 2-fer.

It sounds a little muddy, but I find that to be consistent with all the early Allman Brothers stuff I have heard except for Fillmore East. Elizabeth Reed sounds the muddiest. But it still sounds pretty sweet.

Greg's voice sounds great on this. Nice and gravelly. Definitely more separation between instruments than I have heard before. Berry's voice sounds just a touch bright in spots on Hoochie Coochie Man, but it is not bad at all. Aside from that, there is not a bright spot on the album. I hate bright-sounding masterings, so that is just great by me.

The only thing I would welcome is some more resolution and texture. It is not bad, but it is not going to knock your socks off in that regard either. I realize this is a function of the actual tapes. The strength of this LP IMO is a well-balanced sound with nothing boosted, a nice soundstage, and plenty of moments where Greg's voice or individual instruments deliver that nice visceral presence, even if that is not true from start to finish on this album.

I love these guys and am very familiar with this music. This LP definitely allows me to focus in on different players' performances which is something I always appreciate. If you know these guys, there is no question who is playing what and in that sense it is all sorted out nicely.

I would buy the first album (or any of their others) given this same treatment in a heartbeat.

22. Rachael Bee

I'll never buy their first album again, new, unless they go back to the original mix.

23. My intro into the Allman Brothers was "Idlewild South" probably a mid '70's reissue, and was hoping this new issue would be a more sonic marvel.

any other opinions on the new MOFI vinyl?

24. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

I was thinking of getting the CD, finally. I used to have the vinyl in the 70's but now only have Beginnings on CD, which does have that muddy sound. Obviously the MFSL CD is going to be an improvement, but can someone describe just how much of an improvement? Marginally, much better, huge, or just amazing!!!!

Thx.

25. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Anyone?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.