Post Allman Brothers "Idlewild South" MFSL Impressions Here

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cortez, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Do you have the remastered Beginnings for the Idlewild South tracks or the old Dennis Drake mastered Polydor CD?

If you have the Drake, I think those Idlewild South tracks sound great and might be the best mastering of that album.

2. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

I have the remastered Beginnings.

3. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I would recommend to you to get the old unremastered CD of Beginnings. You will get the original Allman Brothers album remixed and a great sounding version of Idlewild South. Keep your remastered Beginnings for the original mix of their self titled album, which is a better mix IMO.

4. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

So, you recommend the Drake over the MFSL?

Is this the Drake?:
    http://www.amazon.com/Beginnings-Al...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1221060197&sr=1-2

5. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Yes that Amazon listing is the Drake. I have not compared the Drake to the MFSL, but for $5.00 you can not go wrong.

6. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

After reading this (and many confusing threads) about the mix on the original album, let me pose the following and see if I'm correct:

I have the first CD issue of The Allman Brothers Band (debut album), mastered by Dennis Drake. This version used the remix, which has a flatter sound, with the guitar tucked into the mix.

I have the remaster of Beginnings. This version uses the original album mix, with the guitar more prominent in the mix. Definitely clearer, and better to my ears.

In conclusion, I have the mixes reversed on my copies of The Allman Brothers Band and Beginnings. Am I correct?

7. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

ACK, the remastered self titled album and the remastered Beginnings use the original mix for the debut album. The Dennis Drake mastered self titled album and Dennis Drake mastered Beginnings have the remixed original album.

8. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

There's irony in there somehow, I know it.

9. There are two quite different CD masterings of the first album on Polydor. They sound so different that they could be a different mix. Both booklets state Dennis Drake as the mastering engineer.

One CD mastering sounds clearly better than the other in my opinion.

10. By the way, there are also two different early masterings on Polydor for "Idlewild South". Again, one of them is clearly better than the other.

11. wildchild

wildchild Active Member

Sound's really good in my car.
    Will try to listen critickly when I finish moving (again).

12. jgreen

jgreen Well-Known Member

IMO "Leave My Blues At Home" is absolutely frighting in it's depiction and musical interpretation of a desperately lonely man. A blues masterpiece. One of Gregg's greatest songs. "Hoochie Coochie Man" is incendiary. The guitars, Barry, the drums, the riffs. The wildest cut they ever made. Indispensable ABB cuts.

13. attym

attym Forum Resident

How are the pressings of the Beginnings LP? Any to look out for?

14. Steve S

Steve S New Member

I just listened again today (LP) version MFSL, .... what a great album!!!! This would have been the ultimate band at 69' Woodstock. This is the only version I have, Sounds good, but I'm left wondering if they have gotten the most they could out of the original tapes or is there still better yet to come?

15. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

any new opinions on the MOFI LP vs an original Atco?

16. attym

attym Forum Resident

I just got the MOFI LP. It sounds very nice, lots of mid and low detail, but i found myself leaning towards the copy of beginnings I have. It has more definition in the highs which seem to be missing or cut down on the mofi. I could be wrong....

17. Jim Bloor

Jim Bloor New Member

I just got this one. Sounds great but does anybody else notice the click during Midnight Rider? It happens at 10 seconds.

18. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

I hear the click on the MOFI.

oopap likes this.
  19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I've touched on this elsewhere, but just stumbled across this thread.

The Dennis Drake Beginnings CD has added reverb and noise gating/reduction on the Idlewild South portion. IMO either of those disqualify it as being the best mastering of that album.

oopap likes this.
  20. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I love my copy, and really wanted to tag this thread to read later...:wave:

21. Jim Bloor

Jim Bloor New Member

Is it on other versions or just the Mobile Fidelity?

22. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

I don't have the technical knowledge, multiple versions or verbage to understand or explain why, but this might be my favorite gold CD, and I have a couple of the forum favorites. All I had before was the Capricorn remaster of Beginnings, and I didn't do a direct comparison.

23. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

I just bought the MoFi LP and it has a stick at the end of Midnight Rider. Brand new LP, no scratch on the surface or anything embedded in the groove, but it sticks... Midnight Riderrrr, Midnight Riderrrr, Midnight Riderrrr.... Sent it back for a replacement.

24. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

No problems with the 180 gram vinyl reissue. Sounds great.

25. Taylan

Taylan Forum Resident

Is the MFSL the best sounding version of this album on CD? I noticed a Japanese pressing with cat. # PHCR-94002, anybody compared these? Also is there only a UDII pressing of the MFSL?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.