Post Allman Brothers "Idlewild South" MFSL Impressions Here

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cortez, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IanL

IanL Senior Member

This title was released after Music Direct bought MFSL and revived the label. So there are no longer UDI or UDII designations. They are all the same.

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Got the Gold CD 4 years ago, but put off the vinyl until today, because...it's finally disappearing from the online sites, inc. Mofi's site !!!!!.

Got one of the last copies at Acoustic Sounds for $29.99...even Soundstage Direct has run out.

This bump is intended as a heads up for anyone else that had been putting this off...

3. Myke

4. easyge

easyge Senior Member

I compared the Gold Cd of Idlewild to my original yellow label vinyl and I thought the vinyl was lots better. The Gold cd really seemed thin in comparison.

I really need to go back and compare these again.

Thanks for the update on the MFSL vinyl MYKE! I may have to buy this...

5. Myke

No problem...don't know how many copies they have left, but there's still an " in stock " on the page. Literally everywhere else I check, they're sold out...after 4 years, it makes sense.

6. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

the original ATco yellow label kills the Mofi vinyl, I did a shoot out and I REALLY prefer the low end rumble I get from the Yellow Atco

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  7. easyge

easyge Senior Member

The yellow Atco is what I have too. Much better as compared to the Gold disc I thought. I am curious about the MOFI vinyl though.

8. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Most of these reviews are for the cd of "Idlewild". Are there any opinions out the MFSL lp?

9. Myke

RelayerNJ likes this.
  10. IanL

IanL Senior Member

I posted my initial impressions in post #121. I'll take another listen to it tonight and see if I have any new thoughts on it. I have moved since that post, and also have different phono preamp, cartridge, and speakers, all of which are more revealing than what I had then.

11. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

I apologize if this has been discussed before but..
    I thought I had seen a MFSL Gold jewel case version of Idlewild South on Ebay at some point. Discogs lists a UCDC 769 Idlewild South from 2007 with bar code 015775158221. https://www.discogs.com/The-Allman-Brothers-Band-Idlewild-South/release/2566973
    The back cover in the images looks like the old UDII releases. It's black, not gray with a gold band, not red and it's NOT listed as Remastered.
    They ALSO list the mini lp release I have https://www.discogs.com/The-Allman-Brothers-Band-Idlewild-South/release/7299073 released 2007 with barcode 821797076968 and listed as Remastered.
    What is this mysterious 58221? Were there two gold MFSL cds released in 2007?

12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

MFSL only did the mini lp release AFIK.

13. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

dawg the w. german "begginnings" cd w/ this album sounds absoutely fantastic- i wouldnt buy the mfsl for this title even it came with free chocolate cake

14. Myke

Blu ray made this obsolete for me. Sold, and gone. Thanks Bill ! @musicman9999

15. Myke

I've never seen the 58221 myself. Odd.

16. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Correct, I don't know where this "2007" stuff is coming from. the "769" catalogue number is the cardboard sleeve.
    The disc is $19.99 now at Music Direct if anyone is looking to add it.
    Yes I know how much they charge for shipping but they have a lot of good titles on sale now.

17. Myke

Shipping is fine, if you call the order in.

Bill Mac likes this.
  18. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Not trying to beat a dead horse but I thought maybe someone had seen this thing. I know I never have.

19. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

21. eelkiller

People will still complain about $7.00 for one disc.

22. eelkiller

Notice both have listings of the cardboard sleeve only.

I checked a spreadsheet I received from forum member @joachim.ritter and that disc is not on the list of early Ultradisc II's. Maybe he can shed some light on this.

23. Myke

Since I can ship First Class within the US, including packing materials, for under $5.00. I would complain too.

IanL likes this.
  24. eelkiller

I scanned that bar code with a QR reader and it reports it as Boston Third Stage Mofi. Not legit.

Do any legitimate Mofi's have the banner on the rear sleeve? I don't think so.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    oopap, Bill Mac and Myke like this.
  25. Myke

Somebody lied on the internet ?????? :yikes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.