Post an obscure cartoon (theatrical or TV)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Mar 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Le Theatre du Hula Hula

2. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

3. The Devil and Daniel Mouse:

4. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Clerow Wilson's Great Escape (1974). Based on characters created by Flip Wilson. Includes original commercials.

Can anyone ID the woman at 1:37?

5. This thread will be my new home.
    Let's get started:

Reader and OldMusicOnVinyl1 like this.

6. When I was a kid (30 years ago and in Australia) it was very obscure but our version of PBS (known as The ABC, like a crappy version of The BBC) played a song from it during their school holiday children's programming and for some reason I can't remember, I had a tape recorder by the TV's speaker and recorded it.

So for 20 years until I found the full cartoon on YouTube (10 years ago) all I could remember was: There once was a boy named Pierre / Who only would say "I don't care!" / Read his story my friend / For you'll you'll find at the end / That a beautiful moral lies there ....

...and...

Arriving home at six o'clock / His parent's got a dreadful SHOCK! / They found the lion sick in bed / And cried "Pierre is surely dead!" / They pulled the lion by the hair / They hit him with the folding chair / His mother asked "Where is Pierre?" / And the lion answered **dun-da-dun-dun** "I don't care!"

Sorry, but after all these years, that is still my favourite bit. I never forgot it, even after that cassette was lost, found several years later, played once more and then lost again, never to be found. I was so happy to find a full copy on YouTube including that song and the others. Makes me say: So I did like Carole King before I knew who she was. Then again, thanks to "The Wuzzles" I was a fan of Stan Freberg some 14 years before I knew who he was.

So I just had to ramble about one of my favourite obscure memories that I would occasionally sing randomly from time to time from age 10 to age oh-God-how-old-am-I-now? Age flamin' 40!

That's nothing: There's a 1988 film from Czechoslovakia (that I saw on our former foreign language movie channel in the late 1990's, SBS) simply titled "Alice" based very loosely on "Alice's Adventures In Wonderland". Whether you see it with subtitles or you see the English dubbed version (which I literally only found out about while trying to find a good clip for this movie on YouTube), be prepared for one of the most twisted, tripped out, fu....*ahem*....messed up movies you will ever see. And it is unbelievably good!

7. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

The Weird Number
    I remember seeing this on my local PBS station once and always remembered it. I looked for it for years (didn't remember the name of the video or much about it except that it involved fractions) and I finally stumbled on it on YouTube.

Brucedgoose likes this.
  8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I remember the first day we screened this in one of my college film courses. The program ended with Condie's The Big Snit, which has become, like a couple's 'our song'...'our toon'. :love:

9. OldMusicOnVinyl1

OldMusicOnVinyl1 Forum Resident

Ah yes, good ol' Canadian NFB toons! :D

10. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

McLaren, Plympton, Leaf, Condie...love 'em all!

OldMusicOnVinyl1 likes this.
  11. Brucedgoose

Brucedgoose Forum Resident

"Real Inside'" a very funny and innovative cartoon about a cartoon character who gets tired of show biz and applies for a job in the "real world." Innovative, because, if I'm not mistaken, this was the film that pioneered the techniques that would later be used to create, "Who Framed Roger Rabbit."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oC_7wS6-qSs

Gotta take the time to look at everything on this thread!

12. Brucedgoose

Brucedgoose Forum Resident

Wish they had shown this to me when I was in school! :)

13. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Bushells Tea: The City of Tomorrow (1941)

Color short sponsored by an Australian tea company. This film does not have an IMDb entry, so I don't know if it was animated in Australia or somewhere else.

This animated colour cinema advertisement for Bushells tea starts with a map of the world and a voice-over that invites the viewer to 'the world of the future'. International travel is shown using fast planes, ocean liners and cars. Aeroplane Passengers sit in armchairs drinking tea and an airport runway is shown on the top floor of a high-rise building. A hostess tells the viewer that they always serve Bushells tea on their aeroplanes because Bushells tea means contented passengers. The advertisement leaves us with the message that though the world may change Bushells tea will always stay the same.​

14. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

It is a very effective at teaching students about fractions, and I always remembered it for that reason. I like that it focused on a single topic and it used humor (like with the slippery 2/3) to assist in teaching the lesson. It would have been interesting if they had done the hinted-at sequel featuring irrational numbers and imaginary numbers.

15. I was watching this on TV in 1989 (age 10) having no idea it was already 15 years old. Not that it would have stopped me. I had already seen many old cartoons that I liked, loved and enjoyed.

also, missing the first half, is the other version
    Vicky the Viking titles (1989)

16. skydropco

skydropco Rock 'n Roll Nurse

17. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

The Ballad of Marshall Mcluhan

Dudley Morris likes this.
  18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

That is a great theme song! :)

19. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Your Safety First (1956)

Produced by the Automobile Manufacturers Association. Set in the year 2000 -- a number of designs and situations prefigure The Jetsons.

AndrewS likes this.
  20. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Promo film for Yellow Submarine (1968)

21. from Jean Chalopin (Ulysses 31, The Mysterious Cities Of Gold, Inspector Gadget) comes a cartoon that is .... well, if I made a Top 10 list of my all time favourite cartoons, this would be riding high along with both Gadget and Cities, to say the least.

But good luck finding it! There's a dozen episodes on YouTube but they are non-consecutive and it is a 52 part story. It received many complaints about the amount of violence (and although I did not and would not complain, the complaints were justified - it is very violent in places!) and it has been filed away in a vault somewhere, never to be released again.

Who's vault? I managed to contact someone at Jean Chalopin's current company and I asked them who owns the rights (as these days Jean's company has managed to re-acquire the rights to The Mysterious Cities Of Gold, whilst Inspector Gadget is owned by DHX Media from Canada). They said unfortunately that it is now owned by Disney and they have been unable to re-acquire the rights. :shake:

Incidentally, I own all the other shows I listed on DVD.

22. Suffice it to say that Jean Chalopin's creations have had a huge impact on me.

23. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Disney’s ‘lost’ Oswald the Lucky Rabbit movie surfaces in Japan

A short animated film that was created by Walt Disney in 1928 but feared lost has been discovered in Japan.

The two-minute, black-and-white film footage features Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, a character that Walt Disney created in 1927, a year before he came up with the character that was to make him a household name globally, Mickey Mouse.

Titled “Neck ‘n’ Neck” when the film was released in the US, a handful of copies reached Japan, where one was purchased by a high school student named Yasushi Watanabe from a toy wholesalers’ market in the city of Osaka.

Mr Watanabe failed to realise the significance of his purchase, the Asahi Shimbun newspaper reported, until he read a book titled “Oswald the Lucky Rabbit: The Search for the Lost Disney Cartoons”, published in 2017 by David Bossert, who had worked for many years on animated movies at the Walt Disney Studios in the US.

According to Mr Bossert, Walt Disney created 26 short films that starred Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, but only 19 have survived. Despite the film studio and collectors being on the lookout for the missing footage for the last 90 years, examples of the remaining seven have never before been located.

Mr Watanabe, now 84 years old, contacted the author and the Walt Disney Archives about his film, which the archives have since confirmed is “Neck ‘n’ Neck”.

In the movie, a dog policeman uses a motorcycle to pursue Oswald and his girlfriend, who are in a car. The chase takes the vehicles up a steep mountain road, with the vehicles stretching and contracting as they round steep bends, a frequent Walt Disney device used in many of his later works.​

[​IMG]

jhm, Reader and Alan G. like this.
  24. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Australian cartoon (from the oughts?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.