Post an obscure cartoon (theatrical or TV)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Mar 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

The Porky Pig Show (1964)

Dan C likes this.
  2. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

The Ballad of Smokey the Bear (1966)

Stop-motion TV special from Rankin-Bass. Narrated by James Cagney no less.

Reader likes this.
  3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

...because Jimmy Durante wasn't available...?

4. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Crystal Tipps & Alistair

Chilli, bekayne and Reader like this.
  5. STAR BLAZERS was pretty fun to watch as a kid, or teen...The Theme song was NOT very good though. Dull, plodding and dreadful, then and now.

6. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

I posted an episode of this show earlier in this thread, but here are the first four episodes of Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea:

(The first episode is in French with subtitles, the other three are in English - it's worth pointing out that a few names in the show are different depending on which dub you're watching, so the names change when it goes from the French audio to the English audio in this upload)

7. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I used to watch Kimba The White Lion on an independent station in Toledo, Ohio in the 70s. They must have had some deal for distribution of Japanese material, as this was the same channel that aired Ultraman and Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot.

8. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I watched this a lot back in the day on HBO. LOVED end song duet by Debbie Harry & Robin Zander. Unfortunately a proper soundtrack has yet to see the light of day.

9. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

It was actually discovered a few years ago via Garrett Gilchrist that a soundtrack album does exist in cassette form (though it doesn't include Hot Dogs and Sushi or the Debbie Harry/Robin Zander duet), but only a handful of copies were made and they were only given out to a few film critics. The fact that nobody else knew this promo cassette even existed for over thirty years should give you an idea of how elusive it is.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  10. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Mickey Mouse in Vietnam (1968)

bekayne likes this.
  11. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

12. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Does that exist in any form but that "postage stamp with the stupid giant logo in the corner"?

13. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

In 1988 NBC had a tv special to celebrate the 60th birthday of Mickey Mouse. During the hour long show Mickey met various NBC characters. Here he is hanging out with the cast of Cheers:

14. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

15. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

That sweater looks familiar...

[​IMG]

16. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

thanks for posting! I always remembered catching this on network tv at the time, and figured I'd never see it again. It has held up!

17. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Alice in Wonderland or What's a Nice Kid Like You Doing in a Place Like This? - Wikipedia

The New Alice in Wonderland (or What’s a Nice Kid Like You Doing in a Place Like This?) is a forty-eight-and-a-half-minute animated TV-movie, written by Bill Dana (who also appears in its cast), produced by Hanna-Barbera, and broadcast on the ABC network on July 04, 1966, in an hour slot (including commercials). The songs were written by composer Charles Strouse and lyricist Lee Adams, who were most famous for Bye Bye Birdie. Features the voices of Zsa Zsa Gabor, Sammy Davis Jr, Harvey Korman, Mel Blanc, and Alan Reed​

Hanna-Barbera's Alice in Wonderland or What's a Nice Kid Like You Doing in a Place Like This? (1966) - Video Dailymotion

Silver Surfer likes this.
  18. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

UPA’s “The Brotherhood of Man” (1946) |

Perhaps the first classic film that UPA made was The Brotherhood of Man (1946). The short was produced for the United Auto Workers to help with race relations in their factories after the war as demand grew for automobiles again. It was subsequently sold to 16mm educational film libraries around the US and was in circulation well into the early 70s when other, more modern productions replaced it. The UAW paid about $18,000 for the production to UPA, quite low for the mid-40s. I have to wonder if they were able to produce the short for this budget, or if it actually cost more to produce this 10 minute film than the revenue it brought in.

UPA’s character design is clearly heavily influenced by the popular comic drawings of Saul Steinberg that often appeared in The New Yorker magazine. The same designs appeared in a short book based on the pamphlet as well.​

IronWaffle likes this.
  19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Needs more eating chocolate cake in a bag.

20. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I'd heard that his method of recharging is the reason the show was pulled off the air. That was too bad, for the series was very good. I recently found a low-cost DVD of some of the episodes and I was surprised how well some of the episodes held up. I know they eventually did a live-action movie (which was okay but wasn't as good as the original animated series), and an OAV that was pretty good.

21. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

22. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

I love that! :)

23. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Super President, in which the President of the US gains superpowers after a cosmic storm (1967)

24. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I remember this. Sammy was the cat who sang the title tune

Steve Carras likes this.
  25. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

Hemo the Magnificent - A cartoon/live action educational film about blood. We used to see this series of Bell Labs films in grade school. This one directed by Frank Capra!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.