Post artists that were blacklisted/Blackballed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Oct 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

After reading about Janet Jackson and her Superbowl "Wardrobe Malfunction"fiasco I discovered that she's been blacklisted and it ultimately destroyed her career. No music videos on tv,radio airplay,half of her songs on youtube have been blocked and promotion for her last 3 albums were nonexistent. Canceled collaborations,tours and TV appearances also affected her career.
    Post other artists that went through something similar. Also post the horrible actions that led to this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XXXVIII_halftime_show_controversy

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture...ut-from-janet-jacksons-halftime-show-20140130

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  2. The Dixie Chicks

Sean, ek1psu, driverdrummer and 8 others like this.
  3. JohnnyQuest

4. A. Scrounger

A. Scrounger Forum Resident

The Weavers/Pete Seeger. HUAC, mostly.

5. Django

Django Forum Resident

Wayback....The Kinks in America.

6. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

The Rolling Stone article was very interesting. Thank you for the link op. It's hard not to feel sympathetic towards Janet Jackson after reading it.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  7. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

Well, considering lots of people liked (and still like to) smack talk him, I'm not surprised he got away with it.

8. Spacement Monitor

Spacement Monitor Forum Resident

The Doors pretty much win this category.

9. JohnnyQuest

The blacklisting and denouncement of Jackson was considered to be "one of the saddest things in pop music over the last decade". In January 2014, former FCC chairman Michael Powell stated the controversy, fines, and reaction to the incident were overblown, and also said Jackson did not deserve the harsh treatment and blacklisting she had received in the media. Powell also considered it "unfair" that Timberlake did not receive the same effect and backlash that Jackson had endured.

He received more of a backlash for the Taylor Swift incident than his Anti-Bush statements. Lol

10. ChadL72

ChadL72 Forum Resident

I believe the Beatles were banned from a lot of Southern radio stations after John's "more popular than Jesus" comment.

11. JohnnyQuest

That didn't change anything for them. They were still at the top and will always be.

24voltsdc likes this.
  12. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

The Kinks in the US - 1st tour until 1969

quakerparrot67 likes this.
  13. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

While I feel sorry for Janet for being the sole victim of Nipplegate, I said it before and will say it again, the music isn't selling because it hasn't been up to snuff. She's been stuck in a hyper-sexualized corner that she painted herself into starting with the janet. album back in 1993. Songs like Moist and Discipline don't even come close to the artistry displayed by Escapade or If. Had she diversified back into just plain fun pop and soul and socially conscious material after All For You thing would have gone down better but the public felt she was rubbing Nipplegate in their face with songs like Sexhibition just weeks after the Super Bowl incident.

While she may have been blacklisted to a point, Virgin didn't push her final two projects much and by the time she got to Universal L.A. Reid did spend money to launch Discipline but Janet was over 40 and out of her target audience trying to pander to Top 40 who didnt want sexualized material from a 40 plus aged singer.

14. ChadL72

ChadL72 Forum Resident

Keith Moon was blacklisted from Holiday Inn.

15. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Pete Seeger

16. JohnnyQuest

The Damita Jo album was solid and still managed to go multi-plat. Maybe the Superbowl incident helped the sales? I don't remember any promotion for that album or any of the successful singles from that album.
    That's due to the blacklisting. My question is is she still blackballed? Does that ever go away? Her last two albums were very weak in material but each had at least two singles that should've charted higher and receive more attention.
    A song like this should've done quite well in 2008.

Bob J likes this.
  17. ChadL72

ChadL72 Forum Resident

Yeah, I guess things didn't turn out too bad for them after that :)

quakerparrot67 and JohnnyQuest like this.
  18. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

Mariah Carey was blacklisted by radio for a few years between her leaving Sony and the comeback with 2005's Emancipation Of Mimi. Sony dumped a lot of money into making sure she stayed down since her ex husband was the head of the company.

Granted the Glitter stuff wasn't great but petty stuff like giving the original sample used for Loverboy to Jennifer Lopez's remix of I'm Real leaving her to scramble to get clearance for the Cameo track with days to spare before the film and soundtrack launch. Another prime example was Sony dumping tons of free goods CD singles of Bootylicious by Destinys Child into stores the same week as Loverboy to prevent Mariah from getting to number one. They even instructed us at FYE to dump the CDs and liners out and sell the jewel cases as add ons for 49 cents but scan Destinys Child UPC to help them get there.

Once she got L.A. Reid as label head at Universal and her ex Mottola was dumped by Sony she finally turned things around with the Mimi set and radio was definitely into playing her songs again.

mosogotamravip and JohnnyQuest like this.
  19. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

G.G. Allin

20. JohnnyQuest

So since Tommy was bitter about the divorce he made sure she didn't have any success with the albums/songs that followed Glitter? That's silly of him to let his feelings get in the way of business.

MJ was right about him. Tommy Mottola is a devil.

Glenpwood likes this.
  21. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

Sinead O'Connor

jerol

22. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

I ran FYE stores for a decade and they were definitely pushed to sell the last three sets. Damita Jo got a great initial push but after Top 40 blacklisted or resisted both Just A Little While and I Want You, Virgin just seemed to give up and do minimal promo for All Nite Dont Stop and R&B Junkie to clubs only. That article claims Damita Jo went multi platinum but that isn't true, it barely scraped Platinum according to soundscan.

20 Y.O. Got a great initial push in store including a pre release design the album cover contest. There were 5 or 6 finalists released along with the official cover. Even if Virgin was hoping for multiple sales the way I saw some folks buy all the different color Invicible covers from brother Michael it didn't take, sales almost halved themselves down to 600,000. Call On Me got a hard push but mostly got where it did on the pop and r&b charts through single sales. Radio barely touched it and Virgin did nothing with the Khia collaboration that followed to promote it.

Finally she got to Universal where as I stated L.A. reid thought he could bring Janet back the way he did with Mariah but the material mostly wasn't there. As I said she was over 40 singing about how heavy her period was on the lead single so Top 40 didnt want it. Universal pushed it hard but radio didnt bite. Then they seemed to chuck Luv, Can't Be Good, and Rock Wit U out there fast hoping to get something to stick but radio didn't care and Janet didn't bother to do much promotion on TV or radio to help things. Last I heard it only sold about 350,000.

Top 40 always turns these gals out to pasture at 40. Janet effectively assumed Diana Ross' spot in 86 when The former hit 40 in 1985. Olivia Newton John hit 40 in 1988 and had her last hit in 1985 when Madonna exploded to take her place. Janet was taken over by Rihanna. Its the circle of Top 40 life. It's not fair that people hit middle age and get dropped off a cliff but it happens.

23. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

The Janet Jackson thing was the biggest to-do about so little in my memory.
    History is not kind to the black-listers, with good reason.
    An exception or 2:
    If I were Holiday Inn, I would have blacklisted Moon. (On the other hand if I were there partying with him I probably would have helped him throw the TV out the window.)

john lennonist likes this.
  24. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I never got what the issue was???

25. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Those wounds were self-inflicted. She was still able to record & tour.

wayneklein likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.