Post "Frosting" Posies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gottenbold, Mar 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gottenbold

gottenbold Forum Resident Thread Starter

We all know that The Posies 1993 long player "Frosting on the Beater" is a work of genius, but what do we make of their work since then?

To me, it's been frustrating. I was disorientated by the more angular, spiky "Amazing Disgrace", and felt it had three or four strong songs compared with the high level of quality control on "Frosting".

I bought "Success" but found that only "You're The Beautiful One" grabbed me.

"Every Kind of Light" was very patchy in my opinion, with only "Conversations" and "Last Crawl" truly great. I didn't bother with the albums after that .

I will always cherish them for "Frosting" but feel frustrated by the glimpses of brilliance since then.

What do you think about their post "Frosting" work?

Clarkophile and craigobau like this.
  2. Monrophonic

Monrophonic Forum Resident

Give BloodCandy a listen. It is earcandy from start to finish.

I have not given Solid States much of a listen yet, I've just had it for a couple of months, but it did not tickle my ear much when I played it through.

I agree with your assessment of the other post-Frosting albums.

3. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I've really liked the Posies' post-1993 work. Amazing Disgrace isn't as strong as Frosting, but the band was beginning to break up around then. Their last two albums include some of my favorite songs of theirs. Their latest, Solid States, is rather experimental and uncharacteristic of their usual style, but the pop sensibilities are still there.

If you mostly like their gentler stuff, try to find their 2001 EP Nice Cheekbones and a Ph.D. You'd probably also like Jon Auer's solo album, Songs From the Year of Our Demise. Ken Stringfellow has been more prolific; here's one I really like. I'm not sure what the bullied-by-robots video has to do with the song, though....

DocShipe and jeffrey walsh like this.
  4. Bob Lamonta

Bob Lamonta Forum Resident

The Posies never clicked with me the way some of the other big power pop acts of the 90s did (Jellyfish, Sloan, etc.), but post-"Frosting" I did love "Song #1" off Amazing Disgrace. That chorus is awesome.

5. SJB

Meanwhile, if you think the Posies peaked with Frosting on the Beater, you can pre-order the expanded 2CD reissue on PledgeMusic.
    The Posies: Classic 1990's Album Reissues
    One of the premiums is a copy of a reference CD from the original mastering session, with the tracks in a different order and, therefore, no crossfade between "Definite Door" and "Burn and Shine."
    [​IMG]

jeffrey walsh, Rhett and kouzie like this.
  6. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

This is right answer. I'd put BloodCandy right up there with Frosting or Dear 23. That album's tour with Brendon Benson was fantastic as well.

Grampire, Farmer Mike and BeauZooka like this.
  7. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

Agree completely. A true return to form. :thumbsup:

Grampire, bibijeebies and kouzie like this.
  8. gottenbold

Yes, "Songs from the Year of Our Demise" is fantastic. I am also a big fan of Ken Stringfellow's "Touched" album.

9. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

Another thumbs up for "Nice Cheekbones..." Really great, short EP.

Grampire, dlemaudit and jeffrey walsh like this.
  10. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

To my ears, Dear 23 was the only Posies worth the effort. I do like some of Ken's solo stuff, though.

11. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

The Nice Cheekbones EP is spine-tingly. Wish they’d done a whole album like that.

I saw the two main fellas in Sala Moby Dick in Madrid, Spain, on an acoustic tour just after the EP’s release (must’ve been around 2001?) and the whole show was so many great past Posies songs played in the Nice Cheekbones way. I’d love to find a copy of it, but as it was sparsely attended, I doubt anyone recorded it.

The official acoustic live album that came out around the same time I found to be disappointing compared to the show I saw.

fallbreaks and DocShipe like this.
  12. SJB

That's a good one. My favorite Ken solo album is Soft Commands. "Death of a City" is gorgeous.

DocShipe likes this.
  13. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Solid States was a fine return, Jon Auer’s mini eps are a fun listen as are Ken’s solo discs. Dear 23 and Frosting will always be my favorites.

fallbreaks, DocShipe and factory44 like this.
  14. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Solid record all the way through!

benjis and DocShipe like this.
  15. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

Posies 30th Aniversary Tour just announced. North America and Europe - Frosting band lineup:

Tour – The Posies

SJB likes this.
  16. gottenbold

Cool! I hope to see them in Leeds. They played there a couple of years ago but I missed it. I caught them on the "Amazing Disgrace" tour.

17. SJB

:pineapple::goodie::pineapple::goodie::pineapple::goodie::pineapple::goodie::pineapple::goodie::pineapple::goodie::pineapple::goodie::pineapple::goodie::pineapple::goodie::pineapple::goodie::pineapple::goodie::pineapple::goodie::pineapple::goodie::pineapple::goodie::pineapple::goodie::pineapple::goodie::pineapple:

I knew this was coming but I'm pleased to see the dates have been announced. Even better, the show closest to me will be on a Saturday so I don't need to worry about city traffic or getting up early for work the next morning.

18. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Looking at the setlist from some recent US shows, the set is leaning heavily toward Dear 23 and FotB which is very good news.

Will definitely be at the London show.

19. DocShipe

DocShipe Forum Resident

I love their solo work—Jon’s record is terrific and Ken’s “Touched” and “Soft Commands” are both standouts. Of their most recent work I’d go with “Solid States”—while it features a slightly more electronic sound I think it has their best bunch of songs since the break-up. Would also recommend the “Nice Cheekbones” ep.

20. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Another vote for Blood/Candy as the best post-initial-breakup release. Lots of terrific material throughout their solo careers, I agree.

21. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I just got Dear 23 what a cool record. I've had Amazing Discrace for years and it's ok. But this is a beginning to end killer. Love Goodwill. Great record. Any others i should check out?

22. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

Just saw the Posies tonight in Ferndale, Michigan! If you can catch this part of the tour -- do not miss the opener: Terra Lightfoot. She is very impressive and one of the best opening acts I've seen in a while (and she did 3 songs with the Posies.)

The Posies themselves -- were awesome. Full 2 hour show. Solid set list (would have liked to hear "Squirrel vs. Snake", but they didn't do anything from Solid States.) The songs from Blood/Candy were great live. I mentioned how great the EP is, but I re-listened to Blood/Candy a couple of weeks ago before the show and it's still a really, really good album.

Farmer Mike and rockerreds like this.
  23. davers

davers Forum Resident

Like the OP, I started to fizzle out with Amazing Disgrace; it just didn't seem to work as a whole album. I'm seeing a lot of recommendations for Blood/Candy so will have to check it out.

I saw them around Seattle a handful of times from the first album forward, but my fave was a London club show during the Frosting tour. That was back in '94 but I still remember the live version of "Dream All Day" like it was yesterday. One of the best power pop songs ever!

24. SJB

I saw the Posies last week at a restaurant/club venue. Openers were Thrushes (a local band) and late addition Chris Stamey, on a book tour for his memoirs. I'd purchased soundcheck access through PledgeMusic, so I had a chance to chat with three of the band members. (Mike Musburger was setting up his drums and I didn't want to disturb him.) Bassist Dave Fox was particularly approachable, and walked up to us after soundcheck to see how we were doing. After soundcheck, the musicians dispersed for dinner. A few minutes later, Ken Stringfellow walked up, carrying a full plate, and sat down with my family to eat. A very sweet and unexpected gesture. By the end of the night, all four members had signed my "Dream All Day" CD single. And the show itself was fantastic. Mostly songs from the Geffen era, the exception being "Licenses to Hide" from Blood/Candy with Thrushes lead singer Anna Conner guesting on vocals.

25. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

An old college friend of mine just picked up the Dear 23 reissue. 2x45RPM. Cut by Kevin Gray. Looks like the release date is next week. This should be good.

[​IMG]

ryanward84 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.