DCC Archive Post on BSN

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RetroSmith, Nov 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967) Thread Starter

There is a post on BSN from reissue producer Marty Wekser that DCC is out of business.

He mentioned that his friend worked for DCC and was let go along with the other employees.

Anybody know the real scoop?

Mikey

2. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Mikey,

Forgive my ignorance but which site is BSN?? Also, I think Steve has mentioned several times that DCC's upcoming releases have been delayed because of Sept. 11 events but stuff should be coming out soon. There are a lot of rumors about DCC being out of business but most of them have started from EBay sellers and some online stores (with jacked-up prices). I can't wait for the new DCC products to be released so the rumors will disappear...

Todd

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Kim, do you know which 20 gold and 10 vinyl titles are going to be repressed? When and where is the Winter Consumer Electronics Show? And how much does it snow down there in the winter?
    ;)

4. Angel

Angel New Member

Gary, (I'm butting in here),

The CES is held in Las Vegas every January. It is where all the new "toys" from electronics manufactures all over the world are introduced. Much press coverage and goings on there. CES takes over most of the city. DCC has a booth, along with all the other Audiophile labels.

As for the 20 Gold titles to be repressed, I was told when I called that they had not quite hashed it out yet. Some DCC Gold titles are being shipped and readied at some of the major labels first, because once the title is pressed in Gold, it must pass over to the major's inventory system before it can be shipped to DCC's distribution system. This of course takes longer. Some titles can be sent direct, bypassing this major label inventory system. I think it will be 50/50. But, some of the "good" titles need to be renegoitated contractually, and that takes more time. At least, this is how it was explained to me.

I thank the DCC folks for being so candid and honest with me! I admit I "name dropped" a little to get that much information. Not something they would share with a stranger just calling in. Har har...

So, we'll see what happens next.

Forgive me if I've spelled anything wrong. I must get back to work.

[ November 20, 2001: Message edited by: Angel ]

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Thanks for the response, Angel! Butt in anytime!

January in California... sounds like a good way to beat the winter blues! :D

6. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

For what it's worth...BSN has a lot of great people. Mike Callahan started moderating the group because a couple of "Trolls" started posting flaming bullsh*t. If I'm not mistaken this group (DCC) is also moderated. In the last few years theres been a wealth of information shared on the BSN website. Although its mostly stereo info (that's the main emphasis over there) they also share info on new releases, sound quality, correct versions etc.
    Anyone interested click here
    Mike's Both Sides Now website is here

end of rant...

[ November 20, 2001: Message edited by: Larry Naramore ]

[ November 20, 2001: Message edited by: Larry Naramore ]

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Well, it's "moderated" in the sense that you have to register and the owner *can* delete posts if he/she wants to. However, it's not moderated in the true sense - that is, that each post is screened by a moderator before it actually "goes live".

I take most "sound quality" issues posted there with a grain of salt. Most often you hear "oh, this has less hiss, it's better!" One of the "old timers" there is a "mastering engineer" who feels the need to use NR on just about everything. He really thinks he can improve things. I've heard some of his work, and trust me, he can't...

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Yeah, and even if there are no artifacts in this engineer's work, the NR sucks the life right out of the material and leaves the track sounding "in your face", with little air.

I like the site much more now, now that the flaming is gone. The way I understand it, it was basically only one individual doing it. I also understand that he was the only one who protested the move to moderate the forum. Now civil, productive posts can shine through. One no longer has to worry about getting flamed for his views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.