Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 13)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MilesSmiles, Dec 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

I don't understand. My 75 watt mono amplifiers only have two output tubes each.
    My 60 WPC stereo amplifiers have four output tubes each.
    Basically, the same output with the same amount of output tubes for each channel.

If you're strapping a stereo amplifier for mono output, then the output tubes double,
    but so does the output wattage.

[​IMG]

2. Saturday morning record time. Playing Big Star loud as the Blue Angles buzz the skies overhead today (4 days in a row ).

[​IMG]

3. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Love the console cabinet! Looks like you might benefit by pulling those speakers out more. Any reason you have them so close to the wall and adjacent to the console?

4. They come out now a foot from the wall. No room to go wider on either side. Well maybe two inches each

5. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Seem wide enough apart and it must be an illusion on the photo as they look closer in. I've seen your gear on earlier posts so I suspect you pretty much know what you're doing. :)

6. I have no idea what I'm doing and appreciate all the help I can get.:tiphat: I pulled them out a bit more. I cant come way out front in this room as it's not just a dedicated music room.

You guys teach me a lot here.

Argh!! those damn Blue Angels just buzzed again and the entire house shook

7. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I don't know what I'm doing either but one thing I learned was bringing speakers out from the walls makes a huge increase is sound - clarity, focus, definition, soundstage, etc. But I understand your limitations as I have two systems where I have to make a similar compromise. Both systems use NHT SuperOne bookshelf speakers that sit on either side of the amp on a console table at one house and the top of a 36x36" bookcase at the other. The best I can do is use rubber feet to get them isolated as much as possible and move them to the forward edge. We do what we can do. :)

norman_frappe and Mazzy like this.
  8. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

I have found moving speakers as close to the wall as possible always provides a much flatter frequency response than spacing them out. Unless you have a huge room and can get them at least two meters out, they measure much better against the wall always.

9. Here we go..... :tiphat:

mds likes this.
  10. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Hey, I'm not gonna argue with the guy. Horses for courses and all that. I think there'd be a fair amount of disagreement with his position though. Seems pretty contrary to all I've read and learned.

mds likes this.
  11. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

One of XTC's finest there. As are all their other albums.

12. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

digging that light next to the table....
    Drums & Wires!!!

13. Yes that light. They were made by a company in the late 90s to match all of the iMac colors. I had an orange one. Thought it was so cool.

Robert C likes this.
  14. DPM

DPM Senior Member

[​IMG]

OK, my first time attempting posting a pic since direct posting was ceased.

Hopefully, you're looking at a picture of my updated system in my new listening room. The room is excellent for quality sound with no major peaks/dips in the bass response.

beowulf, Ham Sandwich and BlackPearl like this.
  15. BlackPearl

BlackPearl Forum Resident

Wow, that's a serious looking system. Looks awesome! :drool:

16. benzo

benzo Forum Resident

Really??

17. Ortofun

Ortofun Well-Known Member

New addition/change.

Outed the tweaked BHL stage for a tube stage based on a modified version of the EAR but using octals (6SL7), the guy made it from recovered parts for the best part.
    I added the VSF output caps and changed the sockets to ETI copper ones.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  18. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

No escape! :D

19. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

B&W supplies foam bass plugs with their speakers to accomodate speaker position. Id' mess with those first, if you are really concerned about placement.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  20. attym

attym Forum Resident

Love the cabinet, where did you find it?

21. Thanks!

I was looking for a vintage media side board at first but then found a furniture make through ETSY https://www.etsy.com/search?q=media cabinet&ship_to=US&ref=auto2&explicit_scope=1 who just happened to be in Seattle where I recently moved to.

He is amazing and will make custom sizes for you along with whatever cable management and air flowed backs who want. I found that it was actually cheaper than so many of the vintage dealers wanted and custom built to my own specs. Not cheap but $2100. for a custom walnut piece of furniture that will last generations is a reasonable price these days. I looked at furniture retailers like Room and Board who also have nice stuff but the measurements were a compromise and most were over $2500.

I had an IKEA shelf for years and finally wanted one great beautiful piece.

http://yoshiharafurniture.com/collection

rischa likes this.
  22. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I define this as lovely.

23. Music1212

Music1212 Forum Resident

Nice room!
    Where are the wire album holders from?

Thanks

24. artfromtex and 33na3rd like this.
  25. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

I totally agree getting the speakers away from the side and back walls and into the room, creating symmetry within the room, plus not having tall things between them actually made a bigger improvement to me than any other kind of hardware expenditure I ever made except for the speakers themselves. I never knew this until I got a dedicated room. Before that it was just impossible to do as I imagine it is for a lot of people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.