Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 14)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by hodgo, Aug 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Watts are important when you have the equipment to deliver them cleanly AND you have speakers that can translate that power.

2. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I think you can pretty much figure it out yourself from those standard plotted line sets on logarithmic graphs that show dbw vs. cubic ft. room size. The different lines are for different speaker sensitivities. You just find the intersection points on the graph for your equipment and room. The speaker manufacturers usually publish an optimal power range for each of their speaker models, so you can use that as a boundary condition guide along with the standard graphs to make a match for your situation.

3. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Isn't that a song by The Sweet?

PhilBiker and Ron P. like this.
  4. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

Ha! right you are...sort of.. ."Love", is their "watts". ....love, sex, watts...whatever.

5. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Watt's Love Got To Do With It?

6. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

...... the finishing pieces in a room can be the most fun and/or struggle
    ......a friend is building a new "rack" for my dedicated space
    ......and I have been thinking about what might finish off the space on the wall behind the rack

......my sister is an artist and has recently been working with a "new" art form called Encaustic
    ......very old art form and intensive to do

......Encaustic is created by applying a wax medium (beeswax and demar resin) mixed with pigment, to a hard, but porous surface. Wood is the best because it doesn’t bend but it can absorb the wax. Because the wax does not remain liquid for long, it a medium not conducive for detailed work

.....she came up with an idea ....4 small (7 X 7) music related icons/characters of my choosing
    .....so I chose 2 in Indigo Blue and 2 in Red....a sax player...a trumpet player...a guitarist and a drummer
    .....this won't be seen in many other rooms!

Here is 1 of the images I chose -

[​IMG]

It begins with a block of wood -

[​IMG]

....then colour and wax -

[​IMG]

....then the figure/icon is applied -

[​IMG]

....here's the red in process -

[​IMG]

Can't wait to see all 4 done and framed....and then hung above the rack. I'm blessed to have talented people in my life!!

7. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

Very nice! Post a pic when they are all done...

cat9 likes this.
  8. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

...thank-you, I will...

9. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

It got me to thinking. My son and his girlfriend both attended Kansas City Art Institute. I'm SURE they could come up with something interesting for my listening space.

timind and cat9 like this.
  10. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

Great idea!! I had a couple of options for the space....both had circulated on sites like this and as I was thinking about it (apparently for too long) my sister began thinking about something that would be relavent to the space, unique and 1 (or 4) of a kind. These will certainly be that.

It would be fun to see what they can come up with. Go for it!!!

11. timind

timind phorum rezident

As a joint project my grandson and I painted this geometric shape on a piece of canvas. I kind of liked it so I had ATS Acoustics custom make a 4 inch thick absorption panel to fit the canvas. When the panel arrived I stapled the canvas over the existing burlap.[​IMG]

Might as well post a pic of current setup with Meadowlark Audio Kestrels in place.

[​IMG]

My listening room is full of artwork from my daughter and grandsons.

LeeH, action pact, Kyhl and 12 others like this.
  12. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

Very cool - your daughter and grandsons must be pretty honoured to have you display and appreciate their talent!!
    Lovely room and system.

Johnny Vinyl and timind like this.
  13. timind

timind phorum rezident

The panel behind the speakers was painted by another grandson. He wanted no direction and just went for it. I had to hang it as it was his original work. :)

For the longest time I had a picture of a snowman in the room which was done by the oldest grandson in kindergarten. As a teen he noticed it and asked why I had that still hanging in my room. It made me feel good to say "because you gave it to me."

14. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

"because you gave it to me" .....that's about as good as it gets for a child or grandchild to hear!!

Yes, I noticed that piece behind the speakers and assumed it was done by a family member.
    My wife and I love abstract art.....we have been collecting art (various styes and mediums) since our 1st year of marriage and we're at 30 years.
    Pretty well outta wall space!!

Great stuff....please compliment your family on their gift!!!

timind likes this.
  15. Progress report. installing tubes for radiant floor heating.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

hi_watt, PhilBiker, PROG U.K. and 6 others like this.
  16. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Nice.

PhilBiker likes this.
  17. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Judas Priest-'British Steel' CBS 'Nice Price' red label, Holland pressing, 1A-1/2B-1.

18. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Here's some updated pics of my system which has undergone some significant changes over the last year--the most recent being the addition of a Music First Audio Baby Reference passive stereo preamp/attenuator. After performing some 83 hours of burn in and several more hours of listening I can say that it is sounding quite nice.

I've posted two shots. One from the listening area and another from the back of the room to show the acoustic treatments at the first reflection points.

[​IMG]

The two channel side of my rig is pretty much finished. I'm not enough of a vinyl fan to invest more $ in my turntable/phono preamp. I may upgrade the cartridge, but I'm in no hurry. The Esoteric X-05 is a wonderful SACD player. To upgrade to something appreciably better would require mucho bucks. The Hegel H30 amp Magico speakers combo is kick ass in my view. The Q3s are sitting flat on the floor without their footers as I've been experimenting with placement. I think I'm there now, so I need to get my brother over to hold the tilted speakers while I screw the footers back in.

[​IMG]

I haven't hooked the surround gear back up yet. I also have one more Aperture panel to install, but I'm thinking I want to be able to place it in front of the TV on some kind of stand when listening in stereo. This will allow me to remove it for movie watching. Honestly, right now the imaging sounds fine to me. Any reflections from the TV must be minimal. The fourth Aperture panel may not be needed. At least, not on the front wall. (More experimentation required.)

Regarding the Samsung plasma hanging on the wall, it's attached to a heavy duty bracket that can be extended outward almost 2 feet.

19. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I hope that door is locked!

WapatoWolf, Robert C and Ron P. like this.
  20. subframe

subframe Forum Resident

Nice and clean. What kind of amp stand is that?

21. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Yep. It's locked, and there's a metal security door on the other side. There's also a second door on the opposite (back) wall, so the door in the pic (front wall) is not needed.

22. DPM

DPM Senior Member

That's a Stillpoints stand that has been discontinued. I purchased it used and added three Ultra SS footers.

Hendertuckie likes this.
  23. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack Forum Resident

Leave the sub, take the cannoli...

Sorry, I had to do that :rolleyes:

24. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I was starting to think you never left the house.

25. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

What do you think of the Aperture panels? I've been considering one or two for my small listening room.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.