Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

Hey! Thanks guys! Its been 6 mos in the making and sounding better with each spin. Happy I could share!

jupiterboy likes this.
  2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Woo hoo! My resto-modded Fisher 400 came home on Thursday night! While it was "under the knife," my tech installed IBAM boards for fine-tuning the behavior of the output tubes. It sounds spectacular and seems to be running cooler; the weather has been warmer lately but my little room isn't getting steamy from the tubes.

Going from solid state for the past month back to tubes has been a very educational experience. While the Yamaha CR-1020 betters the 400 in accuracy, crispness, and bass control, the Fisher has a much thicker, lusher tonality, and is extraordinarily holographic.

Another change I've made is one that some might dismiss as hogwash. My TD-124 is sitting on a fairly lightweight Ikea table, which is probably made from compressed sawdust under the genuine artificial woodgrain veneer. Just for the heck of it, I put four hockey pucks under the rubber feet; the improvement is NOT subtle. Bass is significantly tighter and better defined, transients are much more impactful, and everything is crisper and more resolved. I did not expect this at all.

I went on Craig's List and bought another bunch of used pucks for less than a buck each from one seller. To my surprise, one of them was autographed by Bobby Orr! (I put that one up for sale on eBay; bids are already at $19.99.) Tonight I put pucks under the CD player, and sure enough, it sounds better. Bass is tighter and transients are more defined.

I won't claim that hockey pucks will make a difference in every system, but they are cheap enough to be worth trying out and seeing if they make a difference for you too.

[​IMG]

3. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

Those are some of my vintage pieces. My current rig is on the opposing wall.
    [​IMG]

4. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

Whats the story with the TT on the right? Looks like you made a massive points with Russian birch..? Very cool.

5. B_big!

B_big! Vinyl Record Enthusiast

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( .[​IMG]

The 'man cave'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

oboogie, AmericanHIFI, Kyhl and 6 others like this.
  6. action pact

Thank you! That's a c.1956 Rek-O-Kut Rondine Jr. L-34 that I restored myself, with mono-wired 12" ROK Model 160 transcription arm and c.1958 General Electric VRII mono MI cartridge. It was pretty neglected before I got it, but it sings nicely now.

The plinth was fabricated from a single sheet of 2' x 4' birch plywood from Home Depot, totally eight layers. It weighs at least 40 lbs, produces zero rumble, and sounds as huge and fulsome as it looks. My old mono records really pound!

Having little mechanical or woodworking know-how, this was a wonderfully rewarding experience. I learned a lot from doing this.

I am now in the planning stages of making a similarly massive plinth for my Thorens TD-124. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

je245, barfko, Jay hartman and 32 others like this.
  7. action pact

Gene 'n' Eddie! :edthumbs:

B_big! likes this.
  8. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

You did a fine job for having limited experience! I, too, use the Russian/baltic birch ply for my audio projects. Great dampening, high mass and the cross section looks really cool! Even the facing takes well to staining. DIY audiophiles' best friend!

9. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

Just LOVE this!!!

CrazyCatz and action pact like this.
  10. B_big!

Thanks for your recognition, but to make it complete, it's Eddie, Gene & Kevin (Ayers)

11. action pact

Thanks, fellers! I went very slowly with the plinth-building, and did a lot of reading and asked a lot of questions before moving ahead with each step.

While there are a few things I wish I'd done differently, overall I am delighted by how well it came out. It's very satisfying to have a project succeed!

timind, rob303 and adriatikfan like this.
  12. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

Man, ain't that the truth! I usually start redesigning my creations within 24 hrs of completing them! I just built a birch ply/granite amp stand last week and, as of this afternoon, I already have the first coat of stain on v2! :laugh:

action pact likes this.
  13. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Buy the frames and glass and do the matts/backings yourself. Save $$$ and that way only U handle your artwork.

sean

14. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Hell
    where are the speakers? lol

sean

bluemooze likes this.
  15. PrestigeWW

PrestigeWW Forum Resident

Thanks. I run my turntable balanced (1 meter balanced cable to my Ayre phono pre, and then a 5 meter balanced run from the Ayre to my Cary pre), so no issues.

avanti1960 and jupiterboy like this.
  16. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Let me know when you hang a shingle. I'd drive over to Lexington for one of those beauty's!

17. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Vintage on display (just a guess).

18. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Storage any way...

benzo, Kyhl, Johnny Vinyl and 7 others like this.
  19. action pact

Aw, you're too kind. :D
    You're welcome to come over an have a listen whenever you like. Feel free to drop me a line if ever you're planning to be in the neighborhood.

I'm looking forward to building one for my Thorens TD-124 this summer.

JeffMo likes this.
  20. Three years ago today one of my best and oldest friends died. It was very unexpected. We had been friends for almost 50 years and as kids, played in bands during a wonderful time in San Francisco. He was my drummer and I was his guitarist.

His wife gave me his drum set a few months ago and I finally set them up in a newly renovated room which will be an office and music room, just next to my new record library.

I miss Jamming with him but I'll toast him on this Cinco de Mayo.

I'm a ****ty guitar player but I love fooling around jamming. If any of you are drummers and ever visit Seattle, the drum stool is ready

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  21. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

Terrific story and a wonderful way to honour your old friend!!!

Kundalini and Mazzy like this.
  22. B_big!

Wow! Marvelous poster, I really love it. I have both of their albums and they definitely belong to my choice of "desert island" recordings! Not at least because of the intense and touching vocals of Alison Mosshart.

23. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Here's the other one I'm waiting to frame:

[​IMG]

B_big!, LedZep2, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  24. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Also framed and hung these two the other day:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bluemooze and B_big! like this.
  25. B_big!

Now you got me! I'm envious. But nevertheless, thanks for sharing. . [​IMG]

timztunz likes this.