Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I probably will. It's a good price and has been gone over by a tech but hasn't been recapped. At 42 years old it would seem that is going to need to happen sooner rather than later. It felt like an exceptionally frivolous purchase since as you can see I have three systems set up. I actually have a 4th in boxes that I have much, much more money invested in. I may need to sell some stuff.

RDriftwood, Funky54 and SirMarc like this.
  2. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Well done, looks great. That table and phono is impressive.

3. gekados

gekados Forum Resident

Hello everyone.

Here are some pics of our system.
    Has been planned for small kids (4&7), maximizing space and with a goal of keeping the living room area clean.
    Wife even allowed a dampened wall with bookshelf on top and a big carpet.

System has been assembled through trial and error basically, but we're getting very close to our (my) endgame. Just need a pass labs power amp and an SME V.

------

[​IMG]
    Living room and front speakers. Dampened wall with build-in wall mount for the tv.
    Speakers are Ino Audio pi60s.

[​IMG]
    Main music source is the turntable.
    All electronics are located in our small storage room behind the dampened wall. Perfect for estethics and kids.
    Turntable is Michell Orbe SE w/SME 309 & Dyna 20x2L. Phono stage ear834p and preamp is a pass labs xp-10.

[​IMG]
    Rest of gear residing below preamp.
    Power amp is a Primare A30.2. Hidden in the dark is an TX-RZ900 onkyo receiver, an oppo 105d and a fanless htpc running kodi.

[​IMG]
    Main record collection, consisting of my own collected albums as well as some from my dad and father-in-law (inherited collections). All cleaned and alphabetized.

[​IMG]
    The misc and 'spotify' collections.
    It's the place to go if you're bored and don't really know what you're in the mood for. Also, soundtracks, kid stuff and Swedish music. The wooden box is our classical collection and the 8 cube kallax are records that I don't know what to do with. Leftovers from inherited collection, where none of us recognizes the artist - or just plain crap music.

4. Kate Koeppel

Kate Koeppel Forum Resident

well yes! his 5,000+ LP collection was organized methodically by a friend, then they used a few sets of our A-Z sets and genre dividers to complete the job!

5. timind

timind phorum rezident

This is one of my new favorites. I love the idea of having the electronics hidden from view. Years ago I had speakers in the living room with a closet conveniently on the opposing wall where I had the turntable and receiver. It was a long time ago, back when communal listening was still vibrant.

6. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I absolutely love my 9090. I had it brought back up to factory spec by a local Macintosh tech. He changed out about 30 parts and cleaned the pots and switches, DC offset, etc... Ran me around 300 bucks and it sounds spectacular.

The only thing I don't love is the phono stage. I've always loved Dynaco phono stages, so I use an SCA-50 from the tape out to the aux jacks on the Sansui.

7. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Man I miss those days...

8. gekados

gekados Forum Resident

Thanks !

Initially I thought it was a hazzle to walk back and forth. But it's such a relief when the kids have friends over.
    And after a while you learn how to make the cue lever go down real slow, so you don't miss the first 3 seconds.

It's also very great for browsing. Have a few (too few) friends who enjoy hifi, and they really like to 'be by themselves' and pick something for the table. It's always a surprise to learn what's next, hehe.

Wife loves it of course, even though she would have preferred a walk-in closet :p

9. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I'm a big fan of a modern separate phonostage. That's a spot where I feel technology has moved forward. But....I will be using the internal on the sansui if I get it. I'm very curious to hear how the Sansui sounds with the Cornwalls. I won't keep it there, I bought those speakers to run with low powered tubes but I will give it a good work out.

RDriftwood and PhilBiker like this.
  10. gekados

gekados Forum Resident

Is that a weimaraner ?

Looks like a great room for extended relaxing listening sessions !
    Love the TT and speakers too.

Bhob and Dennis0675 like this.
  11. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

The 9090 has serious balls man, be careful with the Cornwall's lol.

I was running the 9090 with Dahlquist DQ20's, but they were way too big for my 11x12 room, so I picked up a pair of Elac UB5's on a whim to hear what the fuss was about and was gobsmacked by how good the pairing was. If you grab the 9090, the Elacs at 5 bills are a cheap but excellent pairing. By far the cheapest speakers I've ever bought for the main rig. I'm seriously considering auditioning and maybe picking up the new $2500 Andrew Jones Elac bookshelves when they're available

Dennis0675 likes this.
  12. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I would like to hear those speakers by I have a pair of paradigm studio 100's in their box and a pair of studio 40's on loan to a buddy. Getting another pair of speakers would be a wildly unpopular decision. I did hook up a 200 watt amp to the cornwalls and it didn't work out well.

RDriftwood and SirMarc like this.
  13. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

I can't take a good picture. But I'd love snarky comments about speaker placement and setup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16hz lover, Dave, arar and 45 others like this.
  14. heyMo

heyMo Forum Resident

Thank you. The pre is my latest addition, have had about a week or so. The table is one I thought I would never be able to own, but was able to get a screaming deal on a demo.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  15. Only because you asked for it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    Dave, SandAndGlass, Kyhl and 12 others like this.
  16. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

On the plus side you have a semi diagonal placement working for you which will eliminate first reflections off the side walls.
    Unfortunately the speakers are ridiculously too close to the wall and you will have no depth of stage, likely too much bass as well as midrange and treble baffle reflections from the window glass.
    Pull them out 2-3 feet and put up some thick curtains and you have an awesome soundstage waiting for you to behold.

17. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Thanks! He is a Chesapeake bay retriever.

RDriftwood likes this.
  18. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Those speakers are klipsch forte's, you can set them flush with a wall. I would still pull them out about a foot just to get around that rack but they're not rear ported and designed to be against a wall. It's pretty tough to get too much bass out of a horn loaded design, the wall can be helpful.

avanti1960 and RDriftwood like this.
  19. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

No snark but I would toe them in just a bit to better hit the listening position. I would also think sitting back a bit more might be better but I'm sure you've tried that. Impressive equipment, I bet it sounds great.

RDriftwood likes this.
  20. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Walls are helpful. Cornwalls would also be helpful. ;)

Dennis0675 likes this.
  21. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

They certainly help me out quite a bit.

RDriftwood and Ham Sandwich like this.
  22. timind

timind phorum rezident

Do you live in an octogon?

I love the Bottlehead stuff. I just ordered the S.E.X. 3.0 and am waiting for shipment. Is that a Quickie with the light colored case? That's on my list to build after the S.E.X..

23. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

My modest family room system. Recently upgraded. Scratch photos from an old Fuji point and shoot. Someday I'll get out the DSLR and tripod but today is not that day. This is the room where imaging doesn't matter much and I'm just out for good room-filling sound.

System is:
    Sony PS-LX520 turntable, stock Sony VL-45G cart ($18.50 thrift find) with Pfansteihl hyper-elliptical stylus
    Little Bear T7 phono preamp with stock Chinese tubes - USA made tested GE tubes are on the way.
    Marantz SR-7500 receiver (that I picked up from someone on Craigslist for $50 a couple weeks ago)
    Rotel RCC-1055 CD player (Thrift shop find - $65)
    Sony BDP-590 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD/SACD player / DLNA streamer
    Dish Network Joey
    Pioneer PD-F606 25 CD changer in the bottom of the console.
    Grundig console (solid state circa late 60s) - I can't remember the model number. The turntable is nonfunctional, but the console otherwise works and is connected to the tape out from the Marantz. Sometimes when I listen to 60s music I listen through the console. It has a charming console sound.
    Polk Audio R50 tower speakers that I found at a thrift on the Saturday after Thanksgiving for $50 for the pair.

Quite a nice sounding system for a shoestring budget!

The woofers ate a 14 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi named Tucker and a rescue Beagle named Cupid who is about 9 or 10.

The main L/R preamp output is channeled downstairs to the basement where I have a couple amps that power some in-ceiling Proficient Audio speakers in the kitchen and dining room (and some day on the deck as well which is right off the kitchen next to this room).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking back from the system. Kitchen directly back there so I can listen to music while I'm cooking or eating a weekend breakfast.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  24. heyMo

heyMo Forum Resident

Amazing finds, great job putting it all together!

alan967tiger, Kristofa and PhilBiker like this.
  25. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Yeah. but which one is the faithful companion? The one on the sofa or the one on the floor? :D