Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Continued from above:

Young Bach
    Johann Sebastian Bach, Michael Murray Format: Audio CD

I posted this review on Amazon on May 4 2012. It is my go to Bach organ disk. I'm posting it here to add comments reference auditioning on my newly acquired LM-2111A and Klipsch Cornwalls. Source being a MacBook Pro and Rega DAC R. The album in question was ripped to disk using iTunes in Apple lossless format.

In my opinion the one "must own" organ disk. Let me explain, the subject here is the Gabriel Kney instrument at the collage of St. Thomas in St. Paul Minnesota. It's a moderate sized instrument in a appropriate sized space and suited especially for baroque repertoires. Of special interest to Bass heads is the lowest notes produced here belong to sixteen foot open subass, posaune and praestant divisions which play no lower than 32HZ. In a word the bass is "clean". Most true full range and many subwoofer equipped systems can easily reproduce the exceptionally well recorded bass. Tight and distinct, the attack and reverb of each note can be followed and never builds to a indistinct muddle of sound so common with huge organs playing in huge spaces where managing the reverb becomes the sound recordists enigma. The pacing allows the music to unfold in Bach's typical mathematical unity. The sense of the hall space is well conveyed and Murray plays with amazing precision; adding nothing to Bach's already well constructed work. Thankfully missing on this disk is the D Minor Toccata and its fugue which has forever been associated with haunted house music (I still love it but always endure the "who's funeral" comments from my wife). Murray has recordings of this piece elsewhere. A great disk to demo the power and glory of your stereo with wonderful dynamics and without over long echo, muddy bass, flamboyant playing and haunted house theme music. This is a desert island disc. -Rick

Again the ease and depth that this system is capable of is remarkable. For me a "new" room, with "new"speakers and amp but a well known recording. And the sound of the hall is unbelievable. No subwoofer need apply. Best stereo Ive ever owned. My listening room dimensions are approximately 33' X 15' 10'' X 8' 2".

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  2. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Hmm, I'll have to look into that since I went to school there. Didn't live on campus though so the only time I entered the chapel was to attend a wedding later in life.

3. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

I took the opportunity of having a day off to wash the grills of the old KEF Q5 in the living room. They were disgustingly grimy and I'm happy to see them restored to almost pristine condition. I like them a lot, they truly shine with female vocals and one thing for sure is that having 3.5m of space behind loudspeakers does wonder to the SQ. I think we may stay together for the next decade, unless one day I take leave of my senses and get the KEF Blade in black and copper to match the LS50 in the study.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is also the REL B2 in the background and more stuff in the SVT2 rack, the 1210 M5G is slightly banged but plays like new.

JUCO, barfko, CowFish and 30 others like this.
  4. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

I think the sub looks fine. It doesn't look any different than having an amp on the floor with the speakers, at least.

Manimal, Encore, 33na3rd and 2 others like this.
  5. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

I've heard that Maggies sound/image wonderfully in this type of room configuration. I have not tried it yet for mine sound great the way they are, but...perhaps one day when I am feeling ambitious.

timind likes this.
  6. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

That or a refrigerated tap.

Oh, and a nice 1/2 keg of Pale Ale on the inside.

Manimal and action pact like this.
  7. ultron9

ultron9 The quest for perspicuity and grace continues...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not the prettiest setup, room not adequate but sounds fine.

Dave, Donniej, John Woo and 20 others like this.
  8. Eliminator Jr.

Eliminator Jr. Forum Resident

Hello everyone! Long time lurker and first time poster here, so I thought I'd introduce myself to the community by showing you all some pics of my little corner.

[​IMG]

That's where I spend a good amount of my free time. I have a 4x4 and a 2x4 Kallax to store my LPs. The black flip-through box on top of the 2x4 is for new arrivals and records that need to be cleaned.

[​IMG]

Here's a shot of my little DIY-shelve. In order to fit the flip-through box on the 2x4 I had to stack the tt on top of the amp. I built this shelve for the record player to prevent problems with heat or vibration coming from the amp. It does its job fine and cost me like ten bucks, so I'm really happy with that solution.

[​IMG]

Some specifics about my set-up: I use a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit with the acrylic platter. Upgraded the stock Ortofon 2m red to a 2m blue about a year ago which made a huge difference. On top of that I use a record clamp by clearaudio. Next up in the chain is a Marantz PM5005 integrated amplifier. Nothing fancy, but I feel it's a good match for the Pro-Ject. I'm currently on the lookout (again) for a new set of speakers, so I do the bulk of my listening via headphones. I use BeyerDynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm most of the time. They're close-back headphones, so neither the cat nor the lady are disturbed by my shenanigans. I do have a set of open-back headphones, Sennheiser HD 518s, which I love, but mostly use when I'm alone or really in need of that roomy and airy sound around my ears.

9. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Found a cheap desk at a junk sale to use as a table. Has the same mid century vibe as the Speakers. $20. Rega wall mount installed and the wall work started.

Dave, Donniej, John Woo and 19 others like this.
  10. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

Nicely Done Eliminator Jr.!

Can you give us a run down of the LPs on the Floating shelves?

11. Eliminator Jr.

Eliminator Jr. Forum Resident

Thank you, I appreciate the kind feedback! Sure thing, top first, left to right:

Wipers - Youth Of America / Fugazi - Instrument / Julien Baker - Sprained Ankle / The War On Drugs - Slave Ambient / Otis Redding - Sings Soul Ballads
    Mac Demarco - Another One / Isaac Hayes - Hot-Buttered Soul / Titus Andronicus - The Airing Of Grievances / Marvin Gaye - Here, My Dear / Kowloon Walled City - Gambling On The Richter Scale

What I like about this display is that it's really easy to change things up quite often. I swap most records every week or so.

Ron P. and 33na3rd like this.
  12. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

Now, live, Drive by truckers free webcast. Amazing quality. Jamgrass.tv

Dave, Donniej, btf1980 and 30 others like this.
  13. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

Very nice, I have the 5005 and I find it very capable as a headphone and phono amp. I like the setup too, hopefully I'll be moving soon and have space to setup a little corner of my own and was thinking of making a partition out of record shelves.

Eliminator Jr. likes this.
  14. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Clean and mean brother. Very nice

Gyrouser, PhilBiker and Dennis0675 like this.
  15. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Nice! Man I've always wanted M22's, I remember hearing them at a local dealer years ago, and still tell people they were some of the best stand mounts I've ever heard in their price range. Envy those brother:)
    I bet the new sub sounds great with them. Good taste

timind likes this.
  16. Ilovefooty

Ilovefooty Forum Resident

Sunday afternoon sounds.

[​IMG]

CowFish, Dave, Shiver and 43 others like this.
  17. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

@Ilovefooty 4367s, right? How are you liking them? I'm eager to hear either them or the M2s.

Ilovefooty likes this.
  18. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I like that TV stand. Can you say what it is please? :)

Dennis0675 likes this.
  19. Ilovefooty

Ilovefooty Forum Resident

4365's. I love 'em. I've had them for 5 years now and i will never part with them. Driving them with 40w EL34 tube mono blocks. It's doesn't drive them with super low end like solid state (which i had previously), but the midrange and highs are glorious.

Balthazar likes this.
  20. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

That sounds like pretty much any tube amp.
    How are you using the Brio-R now that you have the tubes?

21. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

I think my media center is equipped with the same logitech keyboard

Dennis0675 likes this.
  22. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

Each time I see blue faced JBL monitors I would like to be there, facing them and listening. Count my "like" 5x.

PhilBiker likes this.
  23. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I bought it on Amazon. I'm pretty sure there was only one that was rated to hold a heavy plasma. Kanto is the brand

bluemooze likes this.
  24. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

It was sold to help finance the LM.

25. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

That's one way to use it! :D

Ntotrar likes this.