Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

My wife can't reach the latches on that window!

Dave and SirMarc like this.
  2. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

You never know what she is capable of with a chair. :D

PhilBiker, SandAndGlass and SirMarc like this.
  3. DPM

DPM Senior Member

4. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

It's not a concern.

SirMarc likes this.
  5. 575maranello

575maranello Forum Resident

haha no I understand the speaker placement situation......I need some longer lines LOL. PS 804's are awesome!!

Bananas&blow likes this.
  6. 575maranello

575maranello Forum Resident

yup she's already replaced....

Bananas&blow and inperson like this.
  7. October Man

October Man Extraordinary tunes from the hard drive

WOW!!!

8. Davey

Davey NP: Electrelane ~ No Shouts No Calls (2007 LP)

No kidding, there are some seriously cool looking audio systems and rooms around here! Fun thread.

CowFish, SandAndGlass and Mad shadows like this.
  9. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Do you prefer the Quad to the horns, or do you change up speakers depending on the music you're playing? I do this, I never play dense/heavy music through the Magnepans.

Ron P. likes this.
  10. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I did a Google image search on this pic and it came back with "scientific instrument". Yeah, that's about right.:cool:

mrz80, soundQman and timind like this.
  11. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

You have some good, respectable gear yourself. I wouldn't be happy with your speakers but that's just me. I'll bet you never stop to think about your gear while sweet music is filling your house!

Ron P. and Slick Willie like this.
  12. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

Watch this for Quad-57 .....just love it. I've heard these in the past. It's why I have Magnepans now.

13. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Thanks! And you're right, I don't think about it much.
    On the speakers...I've had funds saved for years for replacements but these Klipsch are just so additive(large room)!!

Ron P. likes this.
  14. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

It varies. The old Quad has this uncanny midrange as you probably know, but is limited in bass output, dynamics and overall output. Subject to those limitations (which may rule out the speaker for those who only listen to metal), it remains the most coherent speaker I have ever heard. The midrange on the horns is extremely good, largely because there is no crossover and I'm using high quality SET amps (Lamm ML2). The horns provide more power, dynamics, and supplemented with a pair of external 15 subwoofers in addition to the integrated dynamic speakers that are part of the Avantgarde Duo, can present bass pretty well. The horn system is more of a commitment to use; the Quad system is simpler to set up and overall easier in some ways to live with-- it doesn't require the amount of additional equipment (or cost) to get you where you want to go. I'd say I split time between them, but need to finish the turntable on the Quad system; i also need to install a high grade digital front end on the main system and a better one on Quad system. I could live with the Quad system as my main system if necessary--I have owned this particular pair since 1973 and they were my main speaker for a long time, until I "upgraded" to the Crosby modified Quad 63 which was a more useable speaker but didn't have the midrange coherence of the original.
    PS: this pair was recently refurbished by Kent McCollum, who does great work at a fairly reasonable price. He turned them around very quickly and even supplied good shipping cartons.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    puroagave, Jtycho and Ron P. like this.
  15. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

Yes! Thank you Paul. You know you have a good system when you stop fussing with the gear and just listen to the music. As finicky as I am, years can go by without any upgrades. I'm a music freak not a gear junky. Everybody on this forum in a music freak first or they wouldn't be here.

16. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Looks like secret N.A.S.A. stuff to me!

Makes my Vinyl Nirvana Thorens TD-160 Super TT, look like a pair of brown shoe's. :righton:

Bananas&blow likes this.
  17. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I know right?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. MATT0404

MATT0404 Forum Resident

My back room where I store gear for rotation. I managed to get some time today to hook up the Altec Capistranos and Fisher 400. What a great pairing.

[​IMG]Altec Capistranos and Fisher 400 by Audio Database, on Flickr

And a short demo:

19. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

That is so special! I love my vintage Altec's and love pairing them with tube equipment, as specially vintage. I run my A7's with a Fischer 500C receiver and a Scott 222C vintage integrated amplifier.

Rock On!

Bananas&blow, MATT0404 and Manimal like this.
  20. MATT0404

MATT0404 Forum Resident

Thanks! The Altecs just make glorious music with tubes. I also pair them with a restored Scott 299C which, to my ears, is a little more dynamic than the Fisher. But the little Fisher 400 is just soooo smooth with jazz and vocals.

Ron P. and SandAndGlass like this.
  21. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

Heard a pair of refurbished Quad esl yesterday at "Capital Audio Fest" outside of DC. They played a recent Lenard Cohen record, and out of all the rooms at the expo, with some rooms featuring systems well into the hundreds of thousands, the image/sound stage was the best out of these old speakers. Really incredible.

22. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

Nope

23. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Thanks.
    Well, so much for thinking I was a very experienced computer user!
    Can anyone tell me how to successfully upload a few photos here? I can't find any online help, and am pretty technically savvy.. or so I thought![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  24. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

It is. I bought my Quad's from Robin (of Robyatt Audio, who's setup you saw at CAF). It actually irks me that a sixty year old speaker can be so great. It forced me to reevaluate everything I knew about this hobby, but in the end it's comforting to know that you don't need to spend a fortune to get sound that can compete with just about anything (at least where it counts for me).

puroagave and quicksilverbudie like this.
  25. MATT0404

MATT0404 Forum Resident

I can explain later when I get home from work if no one else does in the meantime. Until then...
    [​IMG]