Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Memphisflash

Memphisflash Forum Resident

Nice! Looks like its build like a tank

PhilBiker likes this.
  2. mktracy

mktracy Forum Resident

It is built like a tank. It weighs 44 pounds and sit on ceramic spike feet with pucks. I got the unit in 2007 for a great price from Japan. Sounds just fantastic very warm analog sound but very detailed and accurate. Piano and strings sound like they should with great dynamics and micro detail. I'm very very happy with this purchase and it sounds awesome with my ARC gear.

triple, Memphisflash and PhilBiker like this.
  3. jkull

jkull destroyer of cookie cutters

South of heaven . Have to love the mix and master of that album. So raw, live, and natural. Even for those who aren't into metal, listening to this album is relaxing, and soothing, and the recording is so nicely executed. Not a drop of harshness even if you crank it. Nice setup up as well.

Bananas&blow and toddrhodes like this.
  4. jkull

Dude... Very cool. Love all of the stone.

BrewCrew82 likes this.
  5. jkull

I like this setup. If I had to guess, you're an artsy type. I mean that in a good way. I love those straight concrete floors. I'd love to have a home with those

6. George P

George P Notable Member

[​IMG]

Got new speakers (B&W 704 S2) speakers this week, so I thought I would post an update.

BigGame, Bananas&blow, Bhob and 28 others like this.
  7. jkull

Love it.

8. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I've got two versions, a German original and the American reissue. Both are fantastic but the German is a bit bigger and badder but not a ton, really. Either way, I agree completely. Given the material, it's incredibly balanced and composed and as you say, very crankable. I only have it on vinyl, is it also that good on CD?

9. jkull

Oh you've got a German press? Pretty cool. I've heard it sounds nice. It is actually a great album on CD as well. Pre loudness wars, a very good master, very much like the vinyl master. If youre somewhat a fan of metal/thrash metal, I'm going to recommend you check out an album by modern thrash metal band, 'Havok'. Album title is conformicide. Not quite mastered like south of heaven, but none the less an excellent master in its own way. Very clean, defined, well balanced, drums sound insane, and well the drummer himself, plays insane, etc. Give it a listen!

toddrhodes likes this.
  10. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

How do they sound?

Regards

jkull likes this.
  11. George P

George P Notable Member

They sound rich, thick and powerful! :wave:

Dennis0675 and DrZhivago like this.
  12. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Thanks for the rec, will give it a listen!!

jkull likes this.
  13. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

very nice room & speaker placement- i bet you get a deep 3d soundstage.
    nice turntables too- which one sees the most action?

33na3rd likes this.
  14. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Thank you!

I try to keep the turntable action 50/50, but it doesn't always work out that way. Some LP's sound better on one than the other, but when I think I've got that figured out they trade spots! I've got more sibilance on the Michell/RB-600/Grace F-9 set up, and have been trying to clear that up. When the Grace was mounted on on the Pioneer there was no sibilance.

15. HankM

HankM Senior Member

16. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

17. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

I'll bet you know plenty about TTs and how to tweak them but I had a huge battle with sibilance with my VPI Scout, JMW memorial arm and a Grado Reference last year so let me share. Using various tracking gauges, and keeping in mind the difficulty of getting an accurate measurement with the tone arm perfectly level, (or to your preferred tilt), the problem is almost always not enough tracking force.....even when you think you are tracking at recommended or above. I've been setting up my own tables, and others, since the 70's and the hardest thing I have to teach others is not to be afraid of tracking on the heavy side. Too light is worse on your vinyl than too heavy. This is hard to convince people of so I take your mention of sibilance just to put this out there again.
    In my case, the JMW has a low slung counterweight so if the arm is the slightest bit lower that perfectly horizontal at the cartridge end, I'm actually decreasing tracking force due to the low slung counterweight actually pushing up, (if you will), and lessening the tracking force. That AND the fact that VPI even suggest that with this arm that the tracking force be increased from the recommended due to the counterweight and use of the wiring being used as an anti-skating device. I even tried different cartridges and gauges before I realized that I just had to add a full .5 to .7 gram to the recommended to lose the sibilance.

18. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Good advice, thank you!

19. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I decided to move the gear from behind the speakers, and now they're in the corner behind the listening chair. I had to eliminate the power conditioner (can't hear any difference) and one of the two turntables (didn't need it anyway). So far so good!

[​IMG]

Mowgli, lemonjello, jkull and 24 others like this.
  20. Eduardo Denaro

Eduardo Denaro Forum Resident

You couldn't hear the difference with the power conditioner? Well that is the craziest thing I've heard all day! o_O

21. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Nice looking turntable. Not so nice looking power strip.

PhilBiker likes this.
  22. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Yeah, I know. It’s a temporary solution!

PooreBoy, PhilBiker and Metralla like this.
  23. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

@Ron P. , thank you so much for bringing the tracking force and the low slung counterweight issue.

My Rega RB-600 has the Michell Tecnoweight, which has the low slung counterweight also. Your mention of your arm/counterweight jogged an old memory of an article that I read that stated that such arms should their weight measured at the same level as the top of an LP, off the platter. The article stated that placing the scale on the platter puts the surface of the scale too high, giving an inaccurate reading. I put together some blocks to get my scale up to the correct height next to the platter and discovered that my VTF was way too low. Increasing the VTF banished the sibilance, and made everything sound better. I'm feeling a bit embarrassed that I've adjusting that arm incorrectly for so many years, but happy that I've got it right now, thanks to you!

Thank you again for setting me down the right road!

Edit- I found an article from Mr Fremer that explains it better than I did.
    Audio Additives Digital Stylus Force Gauge

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    PhilBiker and Ron P. like this.
  24. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Good point.

33na3rd likes this.
  25. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

One that I read many years ago, and forgot!

PhilBiker likes this.