Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Bert Oz

Bert Oz New Member

It does look quite similar to a Tiffany Lamp, an Art Nouveau design. Originals are expensive but there are plenty of good reproductions available from some reputable on-line sellers.

EddieMann and Binni like this.
  2. kdejonge

kdejonge Member

Upgraded my Wharfedales 10.1 to Focal Aria 936, sounds amazing !! still burning in as we speak.

[​IMG]

Picked them from this extensive line up at the store:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  3. George P

George P Yes, I can hear you, Clem Fandango

Did you compare to the B&W 704 S2s?

4. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

thanks for the invite!

Manimal and SandAndGlass like this.
  5. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Forum Resident

I understand that it is a cold winter up in your neck of the woods this winter season, makes it en even better time to visit us in sunny South Florida!

We are having a lot of fun!

Manimal likes this.
  6. Oatp1b1

Oatp1b1 Active Member

New speakers (and terrible picture compared to other posters)! :)

Speakers: Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grand SE
    Amplifier: Marantz PM15S1
    CD player: Marantz SA15S1
    DAC: Hegel HD11

[​IMG]

7. Have never heard the VA's, but I'm huge fan of the Marantz Reference series! Nice! :)

8. OtisWms

OtisWms Member

9. kdejonge

kdejonge Member

I did, i actually heard the 704 and the cm8, they are on both sides of the focal on the bottom picture. I actually went in expecting the 704s to be nr 1 but I was blown away by the Focals, it was able to handle all the types of music I threw at it, from Doors, Dire Straits to Amorphis and Miles Davis without missing a step and so much liveliness!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    bluemooze likes this.
  10. Davey

Davey very clever with maracas

Very nice looking system, would love to see some of your comments about it.

Funky54, Bananas&blow and cat9 like this.
  11. Mazzy

Mazzy Forum Resident

I bought the b&w 702s several months ago but I also fell in love with the new Focals that were around 10k. More than twice the B&Ws. But they sounded wonderful.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  12. George P

Glad you found something that works for you. How was the Focal price?

13. bajaed

bajaed Well-Known Member

How do the Walnut Aria's look in person?

14. chacha

chacha Forum Resident

Upgrade for President’s Day!
    :bdance:

Mazzy likes this.
  15. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Well-Known Member

Funny you mention this. When I visited my dealer a couple of weeks ago to listen to the B&W 702 to compare to my CM 10S2s, he also played a pair of Focal Sopra No.2s for me. The last time I heard any Focal speakers (probably over 10 years ago), I was not the least bit impressed but theses are very impressive. I was quite surprised at how much I liked them! Fortunately, I can’t afford them so I don’t have to agonize about having bought the B&Ws instead of these. :)

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  16. Mazzy

Mazzy Forum Resident

FYI the 702s really opened up nicely after 100 hours. In the showroom they were just ok as they were brand new, a couple of days in place. The Focals were well broken in but they were the very new series. Forgot which model.

17. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Well-Known Member

Hmmm.... it’s possible that the 702s at the dealer weren’t completely broken in yet. They sounded very good, better than my CM10S2s but they didn’t make me want to spend the extra money to upgrade them. It sounds like I’d better not audition them again later after they get more time on them if I want to keep my money!

Of course, it’s difficult to really get a handle on how they sound unless I have them in my home on my equipment. My dealer will let me bring them home for a couple of days but I’m afraid to do that. He also said I could take the Focals home too but that would just be torture!

18. Mazzy

Mazzy Forum Resident

Yeah I have up to a year to swap towards an upgrade if I choose for full value .....

Eigenvector likes this.
  19. George P

At 225 hours, I'm still getting used to my B&W 704 S2s. My previous speakers, which I had for 14 years, were bookshelf Polk Monitor 40s. They were bright and light on bass. The 704 S2s seem the opposite, plenty of rock solid bass and neutral treble (and, of course, midrange.) I toed them in some more last night, so they are now facing me. This position, as expected, gives me more treble and tonal balance.

Eigenvector likes this.
  20. Mazzy

Mazzy Forum Resident

Have about 200 hours on them now.

[​IMG]

21. George P

I see you have a good amount of toe-in on yours too.

Craig likes this.
  22. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Really really nice!

Craig likes this.
  23. Mazzy

Mazzy Forum Resident

I do. It’s a perfect triangle. Skewed in the wide photo. It is set for that center sweet spot chair.

The tv pivots to the sofa for movies and tv and the sound is a compromise but still very enjoyable as the rears are behind the sofa.

Craig and George P like this.
  24. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I enjoy seeing all those decorated green bushy bass traps!

Craig likes this.
  25. OtisWms

OtisWms Member

Put together over many years and on a limited budget, most pieces were "lucky finds". But to me it's perfect for the music I listen to (mostly 50's-60's Jazz, R&R, and Blues) and will go to the grave with me.

I found the MC-240 literally in a barn when I was about 13 years old, and have been using it for 43 years now! It's been maintained by Bob Hovland (as all my tube stuff has been) since around 1980. Still very original inside with most (maybe all) of the original bumble bee caps in place. He just did a full service with all new NOS tubes last year. Went to 7027 outputs as I found a great deal on a NOS matched quad, which was way cheaper than an equivalent example of 6L6's.

The C-22 was found off a camera store bulletin board ad from when we moved to Oregon in the early 90's. Listed for a couple of hundred bucks. I could not believe it as I had wanted one since I had found the 240. I was pretty broke at the time but bought that as fast as I could. It killed me to leave the other stuff he was selling, it was Aladdin's cave.....

The 398 came from a Goodwill regular I used to trade records with in L.A in the early 80's. He would find an Empire TT every other week. I had 6 of them at one time. I did the re-work on this one a few years ago. Moving the 3009 on to it after my Thorens 125 died.

I've always loved horn speakers and had Altec 820's, Valencia's, and JBL L200's. But was never completely happy until going to the Altec 604 duplex's. Here I splurged a little and bought a completely rebuilt pair of 16 ohm 604 E's from Bill at Great Plains along with his crossovers. They are incredible.

To me a perfect system for hard bop, Chess blues, Buddy Holley, or anything drums!