Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Enjoying Sparkling Crystal Clear Digital

Wow, that is a nice system and stunning room, and I will have to agree with another post, that room needs a bit larger set of speakers, and I have just the right size, not too big, not too small, just right! :edthumbs:

[​IMG]

Funky54, arar, Tullman and 8 others like this.
  2. Gie663

Gie663 Forum Resident

Not in the middle, but on the golden ratio ;).

PhilBiker and Dennis0675 like this.
  3. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

Can we have something a bit less fugly?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

They always remind me of Dalek’s from Dr. Who, they sound way better though!

5. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Burnout from the smoke pit

That’s advanced level OCD.

acdc7369 likes this.
  6. RichardG

RichardG Forum Resident

Spectacular!

I seem to remember having a brief conversation with you in another thread before the Lab90s arrived - hope you're happy with them (why wouldn't you be?!?!)

You were going to run Lab5s as surround speakers too?

I would love to hear that room and watch a film on that TV! Congrats...

manxman likes this.
  7. manxman

manxman Forum Resident

Yes, I have Lab 5s as rears. It's probably the only system in the world that has those speakers and a quadraphonic turntable and amplifier. Because all the speakers are active, we had to wire it in a most unusual way: the amplifier acts as a pre-amp, assigning the correct channels to the correct speakers, then the signal is attenuated back to line level and run directly to the four speakers. Bang & Olufsen told me that wiring a system this way was impossible, as did everyone on the BeoWorld forum, but Geoff Martin (B&O's tonmeister and designer of the BeoLab 90s) said there was no reason it couldn't be done, so we went ahead — and it works.

8. RichardG

RichardG Forum Resident

Thanks for the explanation, Geoff is certainly the Tonmeister so I'd listen to what he has to say!

I run Lab5s at front with Lab3s as rears. Having heard Lab90s at Munich a couple of years ago, I can only imagine how much of an upgrade they would be. Unfortunately I don't have the space, but might be able to squeeze some Lab50s in as a retirement present to myself in a few years time...

Enjoy your system!

Funky54 and manxman like this.
  9. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

I'm sure they sound fine but IMHO they may be the reason why some of us should think about buying very big and large brown paper bags

Mintsauce likes this.
  10. action pact

action pact Forum Resident

Truer words were never posted on this forum!

11. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Burnout from the smoke pit

As evidenced by every thread about cleaning records.

RDriftwood, SirMarc and action pact like this.
  12. Baaronj

Baaronj Active Member

These look great! I'd love to hear more about the pair you built for your main system.

If you've got lots of detail, I think I might start a new Altec build thread soon. I'm itching to start my next project.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. Wardsweb

Wardsweb Audio Enthusiast

The cabinets are a combination of MDF and Baltic birch. The veneer is sapele pommele. They use Altec 511B horn fitted with Altec 802-8G drivers, JBL 077 tweeter and JBL 2235H woofers. The crossover is custom using Sonic Craft Jupiter HT flat stack caps, Gen 1 caps, Platinum caps and Mills resistors.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  14. bluesky

bluesky Forum Resident

Cool!! :)

15. Baaronj

Baaronj Active Member

These look fantastic! Are the cabinets of your own design?

I know I want my next pair of Altecs to use 15" drivers. As hesitant as I am to jump into a full cabinet build, this is the kind of thing that causes me to take leave of my senses and forget headaches of the build process.

I'm still not sure whether I should just find some Model 19s, do a domestic A7 type build like this or go 604 based....

16. DeRosa

DeRosa Forum Resident

I have the exact same Ikea Besta cabinet; same colours, same legs, same doors, same shelf configurations!

17. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!

Haha, that's awesome! Last night I finally got around to making the doors straight!

When I set it up I used a hole saw to make pass-throughs for cables in the back panel.

acdc7369 likes this.
  18. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!

Wow, and just like that I have spousal approval to get floorstanders!! :wiggle: Probably helps that my birthday was a few days ago.

Who wants to go speaker shopping??
    And who wants buy a pair of LS50?? (would be kinda sad to the see them go, however. they're cool speakers)

talkingh, Tullman, Dennis0675 and 8 others like this.
  19. DeRosa

DeRosa Forum Resident

Good, i didn't want to say anything.
    Well, ok, there is one difference then, i removed a small corner from the back panel to slide the cables through!

20. Wardsweb

Wardsweb Audio Enthusiast

No not my design. A friend of mine did the original design. I made a few changes and built them as you see.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. rbmitch2

rbmitch2 Forum Resident

Those are gorgeous! Absolutely love my Model 19's, but your speakers are so much prettier.

22. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

@Big Game - congratulations on the baby, she's a beauty.

BigGame likes this.
  23. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

What the heck. Bedroom system I just re-arranged today. Old fashioned entertainment armoire made for a big bubble TV. Phantom center. Rears are in-ceiling.

[​IMG]

LOL yes a LaserDisc player - it's a backup to the 704 in may main home theater system and I think it is better to spin it once in a while than just let it sit in a basement room. The little IR eye notched in the A/V input is for the Dish Network Hopper in the basement. The HDMI is split and the signal is sent over Cat6 - the eye transmits the IR signal to the hopper in the basement. I don't think it works very well or works at all actually. I haven't tested it I'm using the RF remote for the Hopper and an IR remote in the basement home theater. Saves me $7/month over having a Joey.
    [​IMG]

Donniej, 4xoddic, Tullman and 10 others like this.
  24. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Great system and beautiful lighting.
    Wow! A beautiful baby with every pair of Speakers:)

25. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

More..insane:)

Dennis0675 and SirMarc like this.