Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. HankM

HankM Senior Member

Thanks! I'll look into adding that module.

putz likes this.
  2. Steve0

Steve0 Audio Banana

Not that I lectured him, I made a comment just as you now have.

Let me rephrase then, What a wonderful looking system which probably sounds quite good, hard to not wonder how much better it will sound when he completes his remodel/renovations with acoustics challenges taken care of.

3. Steve0

Steve0 Audio Banana

One can over treat a room and deaden the sound, too much of a good thing ......

4. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Hence “properly”.

JackG likes this.
  5. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Wow! Amazing system. Those huge amps are beautiful, heck it’s all beautiful.

6. gov

gov Forum Resident

didnt he say about 7 times he hasn't gotten to that yet but plans to? Asking sincerely...

trd likes this.
  7. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Anyone feel like posting pics of their systems?

8. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Quality of gear cannot be fully appreciated without attention to the second most important component - the room.

DPM, quicksilverbudie and JackG like this.
  9. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Yes, and no amount of quality gear can overcome serious acoustics/room resonance problems either. I generally agree with you about not trying to make judgements from photos alone, although they may suggest something needs improvement or attention, or raise questions.

Right. And lesser quality systems can benefit as well. I generally agree with the philosophy of not spending to upgrade equipment with new replacement purchases until the performance of everything you already have is optimized, including the listening space. Then one can make a more accurate cost/benefit analysis.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    DPM and wgb113 like this.
  10. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Little Red Riding Hood has lost her way.

11. George P

George P Notable Member

JNTEX likes this.
  12. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

Changed my cartridge on my TD160 today. First time ive ever changed the actual thing and not just replaced the stylus. Bit of a pain in the ass but think ive got it all aligned properly now. Would be so much easier though if you could loosen/tighten the screws from above like most other headshells. I know there is a mod to change the headshell but i dont want to do that.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

shutdown66, Donniej, CowFish and 15 others like this.
  13. mktracy

mktracy Forum Resident

Hey Skimminstones how do you like the Sumiko Pearl? Im thinking about getting on myself torn between it and the Nagaoka MP-110, hear good things about about the Pearl. Any opinions?

14. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

...would love to see how room correction software would handle this! The placement of the bottle and glass are probably messing everything up.

15. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Any credible modern room correction software will recognize that the bottle and glass really tie that room together.

PhilBiker, BigGame, mreeter and 5 others like this.
  16. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

This is one of my favourite threads...period!

Such an array of gear....rooms....etc.

This is NOT high end.....but for a specific need that I personally have it's a nice find I think.

My illness has progressed to the point that using my fully manual AR is risky some days.....fear of damaging something.

So wanted a fully auto deck for those days and if things get to the point where the AR has to go into retirement, I have something to slide into my main rig ready to go.

A long story I will not bore you with but found this table from a very nice chap locally....he bought it brand new, never opened 4 years ago....ordered a NOS Audio Technica made for JVC cart for it and it has maybe 30 hours on it in it's entire life.

....looks new and performs flawlessly ...I have a NOS DL-160 just waiting to spend some time on it

....box and all original documentation too

Thanks for browsing!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Urbs, Vinny123, Quake1028 and 52 others like this.
  17. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

^^^nice looking TT.

SandAndGlass, bluesaddict and cat9 like this.
  18. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I'm very sorry to hear that you're unwell, James.

Rickchick, 4xoddic, Manimal and 9 others like this.
  19. heyMo

heyMo Forum Resident

I second as I am sure all on the Forum do.

vanye, Rickchick, PhilBiker and 11 others like this.
  20. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

^^^^You're kind Gentlemen....thank-you!!!^^^^

21. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

super cool photo :righton:

22. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Wishing you all the best, and that's an impeccably clean looking turntable!

23. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Yes, you are due!

Looks like you have a nice "multipurpose" room going on there. My listening room is like that, but being that it is in a more public place (a former lobby of an operating motel), not as cozy.

Like the shag carpet!

My floors are all tile. I would like to have a few area rugs, shag or oriental, but that is not a good idea, being located across the street from the beach and the Atlantic Ocean.

I like your vintage equipment, including your vintage record cabinet. Very nice and appropriate. Is that a fold-out CD storage cabinet under your wireless router?

I have to get some better solutions to house my CD's DVD's, Blu-ray's and records, to make them more accessible.

I noticed a small shelving unit amply stocked with adult libations, which always increase my listening pleasure. cables or libations, I always vote libations. I caught that nice mood enhancing bottle of Scotch in a previous post.

With an excellent bottle of Scotch, even a Crosley might be able to be listened to (if you consume the entire bottle, that is).

Your sofa throw pillows look like the exact same throw pillows that I have on my sofa, which is the same color as the pillows. My new (previously owned) sofa, is to be considered to be more of a davenport, according to a good friend, that is knowledgeable in such areas.

[​IMG]

I notice that you have a pair of rear speakers, do you use them with music?

Donniej, Kyhl, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  24. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Here are some Polk Audio, RTiA9's (you can't tell by this picture, but there are two of them). From the floor, to the top of the 511B horn (the large horn), is 56".

I had brought them in, a few years back, when Polk held one of their 50% off sales. That is a lot of speaker in that box for $375/ea. and they are covered in a real cherry wood veneer.

[​IMG]

These photos are from December of 2014.

Here it is out of the box, without the grill cover.

I do find that this is the most unattractive Polk speaker, without the grill cover. Too much bling!

I always kept the grill covers on these.

The speaker behind and to the right, is a Era (now Peachtree Audio) D14 tower speaker, which is no longer made. Now Peachtree only offers their D4 and D5 bookshelf models.

The D14 is also covered in a cherry wood veneer, but this speaker is very dense. Doing the knuckle wrap test, it feels like you are wrapping your knuckles against a solid tree trunk.

Don't let the size fool you, the D14's can crank out some music. They can play at way louder volumes, than their apparent size would otherwise indicate.

If you need a large volume speaker to pressurize a large room, the Polk RTi's will do it and do it well. I used them for HT and stereo and they worked well for both applications.

[​IMG]

Polk is still offering 40% off on their entire RTi line. That makes the A5's $239.97, the A7's $299.97 and the A9's $$499.97

If you don't need something the size of the A9's, The RTiA7's for $600/pr. are a really good price for these nice sounding speakers.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    orangedude, arar, PhilBiker and 6 others like this.
  25. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

The record cabinet is actually an Ikea Eket that I turned sideways and screwed some chrome feet in the bottom.

And yes, the cabinet under my router is a media storage cabinet. It’s this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Prepac-Small-Deluxe-Storage/17439279

I just have my SACDs and a small handful of CDs in there. Almost all of my CDs are put away in storage. I also keep my DVDs, blu rays, and video games in there.

The throw pillows are close in color, they are more teal blue than your couch

I have a bunch of SACDs that have quadraphonic or 5.1 mixes of albums. That’s the main reason I have those rear speakers....movies are secondary. But that’s the only time the rears ever get used, I never use them when listening in stereo or mono.

Manimal and SandAndGlass like this.