Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Nice set up! My dad had the same Revox reel to Reel on the right in your photo (actually still does but it's not working) tape deck when I was growing up in the 80's. I grew up listening to the Beatles on that deck. Was my favorite band up until 6th grade. Great vintage setup.

2. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

I love seeing all the photos of members' systems. Even though many of them are utterly spectacular and expensive and way beyond anything I can currently afford, I'd be lying if I said I never felt envious but I never feel one iota of jealousy and there's a big difference between the two things.

In a world where most people treat music as ephemera and are happy with playing it out of a laptop/bluetooth speaker, I just love the fact that there are others out there with such a love/passion for all this :)

3. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

A new pic since the addition of my new source gear from PS Audio:

[​IMG]

JUCO, easycraig, Litejazz53 and 50 others like this.
  4. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

That PS Audio phono stage is such a great performer. I really regret selling mine years ago. I think I'm gonna pick one up used.

kellys likes this.
  5. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

nice, how do you like that amp (Decware?)

6. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Many of my jazz records have a way of turning up in the wife’s hobby room, and they do sound great with the Decware amp at the level she listens. I’d say my Audio Research CA50 and Rega Elicit sound better at the level I listen.

avanti1960 and Dennis0675 like this.
  7. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

Both the Revox A77 in my photo belonged to my late father. Also his were the JBL 4312 speakers, the McIntosh MR78 tuner, as well as a bunch of Dynaco tube amps and large collection of LP's which went to me.

action pact likes this.
  8. talkingh

talkingh Vibes Controller

i have the same set up....it's finally the sound of a turntable i've been looking for.....makes me so happy

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  9. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

[​IMG]

What's that little thing hiding at the back of the rack?!

Bob_in_OKC and bluemooze like this.
  10. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

Phono stage by Ray Samuels

News - Ray Samuels Audio

Heard good things about it around this site.

Ken Clark and myles like this.
  11. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

@sacsongs , it really is good. Diminutive in stature but an absolute Pit Bull when squaring up against the big dogs.

12. Donniej

Donniej Senior Member

Hey, how's the pressing of that special Sam's Town?

Bananas&blow likes this.
  13. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Looks like a fun setup, how do you like the Conrad-Johnson 17LS preamp? I take it yours is the stock 17LS? I picked up a 17LS2 last year and love it, it's the same as yours but with a bunch of capacitors upgraded to teflon, some resistors upgraded too, made the top spot on my best of the year list ... Best hardware acquisition of 2017 ... I've pretty much gone all Conrad-Johnson in my electronics now, except on the digital side. Mostly tubes (I have both tube and transistor CJ phono preamps), and no electrolytic capacitors anywhere except the tube heater power supplies, really nice and natural sounding setup. I have two CJ Premier 11A amps now, one standard and the other wired for triode operation with the teflon capacitor upgrade, just starting to compare, probably only keep one in the end. The triode change (from 6550 or KT120 to EL34) of course reduces the power output from around 70W to 35W, so have to decide if that's really enough for any future speaker changes. It's not a complicated change, just changing a couple resistors and moving a couple wires, it was done by CJ in this case, but they supply detailed instructions so it wouldn't be a big deal to revert it myself, if needed.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    PhilBiker and sushimaster like this.
  14. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

To my ears fantastic. But I’m a total Killers fanboy anyway.

Donniej likes this.
  15. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

Yes mine is the 17LS, series 1. I really like the 17LS. It changed my perception of preamps. Before stumbling upon it, I was beginning to think maybe I didn't need a preamp.
    That a preamp in the chain would color or degrade the original signal. But looking back now, I realize to get really good sound, you need a really good preamp. Which means you gotta shell out the cash.
    It even has me considering looking higher up the food chain at the Conrad Johnson ACT2 Series 2.

I also have a Conrad Johnson PV10B, and the 17LS blows it out of the water. It's not even close.

The CJ 17LS is super responsive to tube rolling. The flavor changes dramatically from one brand to another. I been set on a quad of JAN Sylvania 6DJ8 for 4 years now (still going strong). No noise, and very stable and consistent.

Surprisingly though, I like the sound from my Van Alstine Ultimate 70 (pictured on the bottom right) better than my Conrad Johnson MV-60 power amp when paired with the 17LS. Go figure.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    PhilBiker, Davey and Fab-_- like this.
  16. Bananas&blow

If you don't get jealous looking at this thread congratulations. Because you that means you have the best one in the thread. And even that guy sees something he wishes he had.

Shoalcove, bluesaddict and Mazzy like this.
  17. p147

p147 Forum Resident

Lovely set-up, I used to own a pair of the Dynaudio C1s and they punch well above there weight, the bass they produce is quite astounding for a small speaker.

crazy eights likes this.
  18. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

Yep, I'm frequently am amazed at hearing what sounds like my sub getting into the act only to look over at it and see that its signal indicator light is still dark.

19. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

I can assure you that is NOT the case! Take a look at my system profile!

20. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Scored a new 5 speaker array at a local thrift over the weekend. NHT SC1 and 4 SB-1s. The new desk view looks like this:

[​IMG]

Greatly enjoying these new old speakers.

Dred, 16hz lover, Shiver and 28 others like this.
  21. PhilBiker

LOL - my pool table has 6" in-ceiling speakers - not exactly hi-fi but they do sound nice when playing. The pool table is open to the rest of the room where I have a 7/1 home theater and a bar. Here's a look from the corner shelf near the table. For scale I'm at the opposite corner of the room.
    [​IMG]

22. Bananas&blow

Epic! I would never leave the house. When's the next party?

jon9091, PhilBiker and Gasman1003 like this.
  23. PhilBiker

The treadmill folds up and there's a dart board there. The screen is 110", projector is 3D capable. Great place to watch the game. 7.1 sound is pretty epic - with the in-ceiling speakers over the turntable connected to the pre-amp out from the L/R fronts. Wet bar has a fridge and dishwasher. No kegerator though.

24. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Damn, any time I've ever been to a thrift store, all I see is been to hell crap! Good for you bud

25. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

NHT are good speakers. Enjoy

PhilBiker and gd0 like this.