Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Very cool! Love the Bob Welch/Danny Kirwan era Fleetwood Mac poster...not something you see often.

Don Parkhurst and Kristofa like this.
  2. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Thanks! Its a promo poster for Future Games, has the album cover in the bottom right hand corner. Bought it off a nice gentleman on this site about half a dozen years back. Very proud to have a poster on my wall that's a year older than me, also good to have it away out of any sunlight damage.

Forgot to mention I love that album. Photo taken outside the gate to their home, Benifold in Hampshire, England back in '71.

jon9091 likes this.
  3. Lyfsux

Lyfsux Forum Resident

Lol, SandandGlass. My only complaint was how the car used to have a problem, I noticed a slight gravitational pull every time I approached a gas station! Ahhh the things we do for the ladies! Thanks very much for your help getting me started!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Hard to forget when the badge is right in front of you.:p

jon9091 likes this.
  5. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I love staring at CD walls and trying to find band “veins.”

6. UnityCoupled

UnityCoupled Forum Resident

I've lurked around the forum for some time and have along the way picked up a lot of valuable knowledge from its members. Until now I've been hesitant to make an account or post, as I felt intimidated by the multitude of gorgeous $50K-and-up systems around here, but heck- I figure I'll pop in and say hello anyway.

I'm an electronics tech, musician, and of course a music lover, and was very fortunate to inherit my grandfather's old system, which I've restored and upgraded myself over the past several years. The details are in my profile, but here's some pics (forgive the yesteryear's android quality images)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Music on this system (at least the well-engineered stuff) is sensational, and I end up getting sucked in for long listening sessions... but I confess with the A7's near-field the sweet spot is very narrow!

Still on my to do list: furniture (we just moved in recently), room treatment, and building a cabinet for the Scott.

Cheers!

Dred, JUCO, barfko and 79 others like this.
  7. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Welcome Dave,

Your grandfather had excellent taste. Glad to see that you also have excellent taste in speakers. The MC-30 is a great match for the A7's.

Here are one of my pairs.

[​IMG]

8. UnityCoupled

Those look brilliant! Do I see 2404's filling in the top?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

Love love love it! Wonderful looking and, I'm confident, wonderful sounding.

Manimal and SandAndGlass like this.
  10. thomand

thomand Forum Resident

Love it. Is this the RX3 or 5? I consider replacing my RS5 with RX5, but not sure if it is worth the money. Have never listened to the RX series.

11. SandAndGlass

Yes, baby cheeks on top for super tweeters.

[​IMG]

The crossover network in front is an ALK Medium Slope crossover the AP12-500 and the one behind it is a crossover for the baby cheek's, which kicks in above 6 kHz.

[​IMG]

Kyhl, RDriftwood, pscreed and 16 others like this.
  12. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Vibrations are one of those things that you don’t know are there until they’re gone.

13. carlohornikx

carlohornikx Forum Resident

still a lot of work to do on the listening room

[​IMG]IMG_3392[/url] by Carlo, on Flickr[/IMG]

14. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

RX3. I'm sure your RS5 will stand the test of time regardless of any differences there might be to the RX5.

15. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

I have RS5 in a second system in Brazil and find them surprisingly satisfying. I have the side woofers facing in and the low end is quite good for their value. Of course and as always, IMHO.

16. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Welcome! Nice stuff

SirMarc and SandAndGlass like this.
  17. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

@UnityCoupled Welcome to the best place on the net. Very nice system you have. :righton:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. UnityCoupled

Thanks Doug and Patrick! :)

I wanted to try an ALK crossover in my A7's a while back but my drivers are 16 ohm. Is there someplace where I can read more about your VOTTs?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

nice system, nice room- congrats and welcome!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Wow! Nicely done, I bet that sounds fantastic. I would think the sweet spot would extend over to the neighbors house with those speakers.

21. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

You had nothing to worry about my good man, that system is bad ass! Welcome

22. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

i am trying vintage tubes with the NRG SS amp...good combo I must say...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kyhl, RDriftwood, 33na3rd and 16 others like this.
  23. SandAndGlass

Check you my profile for detailed information about my entire systems.

Just click on SandAndGlass below my avatar, then click information on the next screen. photos and complete descriptions at the bottom of the page.

24. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

So I see you have a Oppo UDP-203 4K player, that is connected to the Emotiva processor via an HDMI cable. Then you note; "the Oppo is used as a transport for CD's, going digitally into the iNova, to be converted to analog by the ESS Saber DAC." Sorry if the question is stupid, as I've only just started looking at outboard D/A's, but why do you have a Emotiva unit and a iNova for CD's? Could you not just use the Emotiva or does the iNova work better for CD's?

25. SandAndGlass

A couple of things here.

First, going back to a year ago. My processor was an Emotiva USP-1. Most things about my different systems I either knew or I figured out. But, there is one thing that remains a mystery to me.

I can put on either a Blu-ray or CD and run it through the processor and into the other system components and it has always sounded stellar.

Same with music on a DVD or Blu-ray disk. For example, at the end of the Twilight saga's Breaking Dawn Part II, Christina Perri sings One Thousand Years. Sounds exceptional. Noting that I use the same front and rear speakers for both HT and stereo (I like to play the rear speakers with regular 2-channel stereo). Sub and everything else is the same. The only difference is the addition of the center channel speaker when in the HT mode only.

Yet, if I play an audio CD through the processor, it sounds like pure crap.

Both movie disks and audio disks are coming into the processor with the same HDMI cable, so what's the deal here? I have no idea and can not figure it out? You would figure that it wouldn't matter, but somehow it apparently does.

The Peachtree Nova and the iNova both have ESS Saber DAC's. the one in the iNova is the same chip that Oppo used in their BDP-95.

Since the video section is the same with the 93 and 95, I didn't see any reason to spend twice the money to buy the 95, when I could just use the DAC inside the iNova, which is why they put digital inputs in the iNova to begin with, so that a CD player could be used as a transport.

So, I have always used the player as a digital transport, when playing a CD.

When I bought my 93, the 103 & 105 models were already out, abet with newly mandated digital rights management built in. These requirements were not in effect when the 93 & 95 were released.

For these reason's, I purchased the 93 deliberately. The DAC chip in the 93 is no where as good for music as the DAC in the 95.

The same goes for the 103 and 105.

I upgraded to a new 4K TV last summer. Earlier this year, the LFE channel went out on the Emotiva processor. So I bought their new 4K unit and upgraded. I did try out the DAC in the new processor and it was improved over their old DAC. but it still did not sound as good as the DAC in the iNova, so I still keep using the DAC in the iNova with CD's.

After, I bought the new 4K TV last year, I figured out that the old Oppo 93 player could be placed directly under the TV in the 4" space below the TV and the top of the TV stand, so I moved it there.

[​IMG]

When we all found out that there would be no more Oppo's, the new 205's supply dried up almost instantly and I was able to order a new 203 before they were gone too. I replaced the old 93 with the new 4K 203 in the same 4" space below the TV screen. Then the 203's were all sold out too.

One of our member's offered his almost new 203 player for sale and I purchased it to have as a back-up unit.

So now, all of the applicable components have been up graded to 4K.

Some CD's sound perfect, but others, not so much. I am considering on buying a NOS R2R ladder type DAC for exclusive use with the Oppo 203. After which, I'm done with DAC's.

I'm totally happy with the DAC that is inside the iNova, for all my other digital sources.

PhilBiker, jon9091, Manimal and 3 others like this.