Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

Some of you guys really need to work on your speaker placement. Makes such a big difference.

Get them out of corners. Pull them our from the wall a bit. Get them out of these 'enclosures' that you're trapping them in. Let them breathe, and experiment with finding the sweet spot and it will be like a thousand dollar upgrade right there...for free!

And try to not have anything in the center of the room, such as a coffee table. They can actually affect the imaging. Easier said than done, I know.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  2. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

I’m still getting to know them, but they definitely have a very full sound. Yesterday I did notice a bit of a rolloff in the deep deep bass, so today I’m going to try switching over to the 4 ohm taps to see if that changes anything. They really sound beautiful though. The soundstage is kind of an ovoid shape in that the vocals come out into the room.

I might take the back off altogether, I’ll just have to check the structural integrity without it in place.

Very good advice in general, but do note that some speakers are designed for corner placement, such as Audio Note.

3. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

Very interesting! Their instructions tell you to do basically everything you're not supposed to do with most other loudspeakers. Also, awesome setup by the way.

johnnypaddock and SandAndGlass like this.
  4. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

So much for conventional set-up instructions!

Even it you don't have AN speakers, why not set them in the corners and see how they sound? Maybe try them on stands, in the corners?

You never know?

doak, Eigenvector, JMAC and 1 other person like this.
  5. Irisaurus Rex

Irisaurus Rex Forum Resident

Simple setup right now. JBL 4367, Kinki Studio EX-M1 integrated, Schiit Yggdrasil. Blue jeans speaker cables and Dyson audio facemelter balanced interconnects. Went to this from Harbeth 30.2 and Pass Labs separates!

[​IMG]

rocnred, bluemooze, Donniej and 18 others like this.
  6. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Nice! Never heard of that integrated before - did some reading up on it, looks really interesting. How are you liking it compared to your Pass separates?

7. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I see Weird Al fightin' for attention there.

AlanDistro likes this.
  8. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

Yeah, I re-hung the photos before setting up the screen. So I have some rearranging to do. :) That's an autographed head shot he sent me when I was eight years old. I drew a picture of him and mailed the drawing in to his Close Personal Friends of Al fan club. He sent back the signed head shot thanking me for my awesome drawing!

clhboa, AlmanacZinger, vanye and 4 others like this.
  9. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

audio note speaker are designed to work with the room not against it. most high end speaker don’t use these principles ... . i’ve heard AN speakers pulled way out into a room and they still sound better then most anything else. they really have such an elegant and simple design. i don’t know why other brands don’t do something similar.

spartree, hi_watt, trd and 1 other person like this.
  10. SandAndGlass

It doesn't really look that complicated?

You can buy first rate driver's from someone like Seas of Norway. They make excellent quality products.

They offer nice tweeter's too.

Subcontract out your box, find an available crossover source and you're in business.

OK, so it may not actually measure up to AN standards, and may not become collector's items.

But, I would be willing to bet, that they could made to sound good, for a fraction of the price on AN's.

basie-fan and Slippers-on like this.
  11. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Hey assuming you're d2girls from Audiogon, pretty sure that you are, didn't you just get the Harbeth 30.2's after waiting many weeks for them? Curious why the change? Great looking setup and cool room too!

12. Irisaurus Rex

Irisaurus Rex Forum Resident

I waited 2 months actually. There were a multitude of reasons why I got rid of them. Prior to having the Harbeths, I had honking big 15" woofers. I missed that. I also had a really bad time with my dealer, and they soured my experience so much that it bothered me just to look at my speakers. There was a serious flaw with the Harbeth 30.2 design as well.

They are supposed to be used with the grilles ON. But, if you play loud bass, the logo rattles against the enclosure VERY loudly. It's really a hassle. Herb Reichart made note of it in his review, and I didn't really take it seriously but I'm telling you, if you want to play at reference volumes, like, anywhere above 90db, you're going to hear that logo shaking against the cabinent.

13. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Wow. What an oversight! It seems like the logo issue would/should have been caught early in QC.

14. SandAndGlass

Even so, it would appear that they have been aware of this issue for some time and apparently are in no rush to correct it!

15. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Really, where can I find the discussion?

16. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

That looks hideous...

Just kidding... I'm insanely jealous :cheers:

timztunz and johnnypaddock like this.
  17. anothertribe

anothertribe Forum Resident

18. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

That looks a seriously comfy place to groove on some tunes. Plus, I have a soft spot for painted tongue-in-groove. Nice.

anothertribe likes this.
  19. SandAndGlass

I don't know that it is a discussion just fro the comment below.

This was obviously done before IR bought his Harbeth's. So they knew and did not address the concern.

I have never owned Harbeth's of any kind, so I am only commenting on IR's statement.

It would seem that this would be apparent during testing?

Manimal and MartyTem like this.
  20. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

It’s a simple cabinet but a lot of work goes into matching the drivers and crossover components. The Audio Note Kits version of the AN-E is much cheaper than the finished product and I think that would be less risky than trying to build something from scratch.

ANK Audiokits - Audio Note Speaker Kits

SandAndGlass and Ilovefooty like this.
  21. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I've upgraded my phono preamp recently from the Lounge LCR MKIII Silver to the Parasound JC3 Jr.
    Also, last time I posted in this thread I was running my backup receiver for power (1977 Pioneer SX-950). I picked up my '78 Marantz 2285B from the repair shop a few days ago. Nice to have her back in the chain! Repair included 24 new electrolytics, new speaker relays and....the tone switch is now working again. Previously it had been stuck in the "tone in" mode. Now I can run her in "tone out" (bypass) again.
    Have a great week......Cheers!

rocnred, eis01, easycraig and 43 others like this.
  22. james

james Summon The Queen

23. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

I think the soundstage, imaging and balance improves when they are pulled out farther. I have them 27” from the front wall. Adding a foot helps. Unfortunately that also places them into the high traffic area of the room. My listening space definitely needs an “upgrade”!

Echoes Myron and james like this.
  24. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

New addition on the house maybe?

Carter DeVries likes this.
  25. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Nice system and that Marantz is just gorgeous!

PhilBiker and Carter DeVries like this.