Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. freesole

freesole Forum Resident

I can't complain about the current setup. But you know how itches go when it comes to buying new audio gear (senseless search for perfection). You will love your new setup too if you get the Horizons with RAAL. All my music is digital (Roon/Tidal/CDs) but I have a combination of a Primaluna tube amp with an Anthem MRX AVR. What does your setup look like?

2. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I'm a little on the fence about the RAALs. In fact, my journey to Ascend came from looking for tweeters that were smoother than what I had previously (Totem Rainmakers). I don't like bright EQ, and many common mastering techniques today exacerbate this sometimes. So I gotta have tweeters that agree with me.

So I'm trusting people's perspective on them being non-fatiguing. I talked to Dave F of Ascend for a while about them.

I'm leaning toward getting to Horizon monitors with RAAL and keeping the dome on the center speaker because I don't think I'll have mine at ear level and I've heard the vertical dispersion of ribbons isn't optimal.

Regardless I do want to try them out.

3. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

open for sure, altho Dewey (Decimal) would be proud of the closed

4. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

Open shelving, but the drawer cabinet is pretty dang sweet!

Dennis0675 likes this.
  5. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

It's a mix of Ascend (Cherry Sierra 1 monitors) Polk (rears, sub needed for the high level out put), a BIC America center speaker because I can't currently fit an Ascend Horizon in my center speaker space (it's the EXACT height of a Horizon) , a Schiit multi-bit Bi Frost DAC. I use Foobar2000 to play FLACs of my CD rips and vinyl needledrops. And, of course the pride and joy of my system is a Fisher KX-200 tube amp.

I'd post pics, but I'm kind of in-between upgrading some things so it can wait.

6. dwm67

dwm67 Forum Resident

JUCO, barfko, Funky54 and 29 others like this.
  7. dwm67

dwm67 Forum Resident

8. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I had a pair of those for years, although mine had the NRT tweeter... Great speakers that I preferred over a number of more expensive options. Yours are the exact model I would get... I love the espresso satin finish. Really nice setup.

AlmanacZinger and Kyhl like this.
  9. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Back L. of listening room

[​IMG]

Bonus pt. if ya can ID the poster.

10. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Manimal likes this.
  11. MisterNines

MisterNines American

I bet that sounds great.

Manimal, AlmanacZinger and freesole like this.
  12. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Open absolutely open and holy crap! :cool:

Dan C, Mazzy and PhilBiker like this.
  13. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

That's why my 500C is sitting back in the storage area. I counted there are nineteen tubes in this beast of a receiver. I have enough problems with vintage gear as it is.

I don't listen to the radio any more because I can't stand the programming and the commercials's, so what is the point?

If I could turn on my vintage receiver and listen to vintage radio stations playing vintage tunes that would be another thing entirely. :)

I don't need the phono section and where my amps have to sit in the system, is too far away from the turntables for it to work anyway.

The thing is beautiful sounding, perfect, in fact. But, I like more a tubbie sound in my vintage gear and I have super efficient Altec Lansing theater speakers that I use with all my tube gear, by my preference.

I have a Scott 222C integrated amp from the early 60's that I absolutely love the sound signature. This model was made between 1962 and 1963. It has 7189 tubes that are in the EL84 family and produces 22-WPC. With my Altec A7's, that is more than enough power for me. I even have three pair of Vintage Wharfedale speakers, W60's, W70', and W90's that play incredibly well with the 222C, but I am having hum issues and have to send it to someone who can put it on a bench. Until then, it is on the sidelines.

I also have a Scott 200B integrated amp, with 6GW8 compactron tubes. These put out 12-WPC and are very clean and dead silent. This model was made between 1962 and 1964.

Manimal and AlmanacZinger like this.
  14. SandAndGlass

I like the look of open. I don't like dusting. So I vote closed on that account. Not really, and I know it is more or less a necessity, but I really hate looking at "spines" to find something that I am looking for. Whether it be CD's or records, I like to be able flip through them and select what I want to listen to.

4xoddic and Manimal like this.
  15. strat95

strat95 Senior Member

Both. Open on top, drawers/cabinets on the bottom.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. heyMo

heyMo Forum Resident

Nice Prima Luna, and the Scotch seems to balance everything out very well. Awesome set-up you have there. :righton:

Is the cabinet from BDI?

Manimal and freesole like this.
  17. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

OTOH, my 500B does nothing but amplify a Bluesound device. But I love the look of the receiver in living room. Sometimes, when I'm streaming local radio, I look over at the magic eye to check the signal strength. ;)

18. rbmitch2

rbmitch2 Forum Resident

Replaced the front end of my system this year and the Altec's are sounding better than ever.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JUCO, skippy, easycraig and 49 others like this.
  19. SandAndGlass

Magic Eye's are neat!

Most glowing tube things are!

Did you see my little Decware amp in a previous post. It is my favorite amp to look at.

Manimal likes this.
  20. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

I did. I ran a Torii Mk3 for a number of years. Combined with my Zu Soul Superflies, it was just the ticket. I expect the Mini Torii is a treat too.

But yeah, the look of the Fisher when turned on in dimly lit room...well, to me, it's as cool and authentic as the Mac look that is so popular, but ever so slightly bad ass.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. souladdikt

souladdikt Forum Resident

Open. If I can't see it, then it's not there.

Carter DeVries and Mazzy like this.
  22. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Very nice!

RDriftwood likes this.
  23. Hogues

Hogues Forum Resident

Open. I think that it looks better but, more importantly, I think that it goes much better with your room.

24. freesole

freesole Forum Resident

Sharp eye! Yes it is indeed. The whiskey does indeed have a nice finishing touch

Manimal likes this.
  25. Trabik

Trabik Forum Resident

I use a stock Denon DL-103R. The speakers are Polk LSiM703.

It sounds pretty sweet :)

jacks2start likes this.