Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

The Force is everywhere.

Sammy Banderas and smartiepants like this.
  2. RoundandRound

RoundandRound Well-Known Member

Hey thanks. I am married and my wife is very understanding :) , especially since there was a little bit of " asking for forgiveness rather than permission" involved... :cool:

3. RoundandRound

I found the bins on clearance at the Container Store. When I saw how nicely they work for albums I went back and cleaned them out :p

I like these bins because they are pretty sturdy and fit perfectly on top of the Expedit/Kallax bin spaces and they're great for browsing. Each crate holds about 45 records

I use foam pipe insulation cut to size as "bumpers" to keep the records semi-vertical and to make flipping through easier

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  4. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

I just really do enjoy seeing people discover great Parasound equipment. The JC-3+ is an absolute killer phono amp, it is soooooo smooth, and I know this, because I purchased mine about 3 months ago. My Shure V15 Type V-MR has never sounded so good, and your stand is absolutely awesome, enjoy the music! :edthumbs:[​IMG]

5. RoundandRound

Album Cover wars. I love it !! You have excellent taste in music my friend. :agree:

6. RoundandRound

The Ekornes ensemble is awesome comfortable. The only problem is the couch isn't good for napping, but then I don't nap while rocking out...

RMB77 likes this.
  7. RoundandRound

Ah yes the speakers are Bowers and Wilkens CM 8 S2 s. They sound great in this space.

Ron P. likes this.
  8. Hmmmm... Beatles... never heard of 'em. Any good?

PhilBiker likes this.
  9. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

guys, can anyone tell me how to post picture? Ive looked around and cant seem to find how to post a picture?

10. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

How long ago was that? I could use those bins in my room right now! :) The pipe insulation is hilarious I used to use that to keep my motorcycle side panels from getting scratched up when I used nylon saddlebags.

11. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

They were majorly influenced by The Monkees.

12. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

You'll need to upload your pictures to a site that allows you to hotlink to images hosted there.

Three sites that allow for that are:
    Postimage: http://postimage.org/
    TinyPic: http://tinypic.com/
    Photobucket: http://photobucket.com/

When you upload an image to one of those sites you'll be able to get a link to the image. Copy that link in a message here and your image will be displayed.

13. Litejazz53

They were good, the highlight of the band was their drummer, Pete Best, went on to play some very successful nightclub gigs, they had a special sound, but people thought their harmonies were off a bit? They had one cool song, can't remember the name but it went something like this, won't you please, please :help:
    me, :help: me eeee woooo, or something like that.

Brian Gupton and Mazzy like this.
  14. RoundandRound

I bought them around 3 months ago for $10 a pop on sale. Looks like they are $19.99 now which is still pretty reasonable....

http://www.containerstore.com/s/sto...cking-mesh-file-crate/123d?productId=11000703

PhilBiker likes this.
  15. Litejazz53

Let me offer one more possibility. I wanted to be able to stack these, and also have them not so large that they would be a huge shelf to move, so I went to Home Depot and purchased a big sheet of plywood, not much money, and made three of these record shelves, made them a Steinway black color, as best I could and they are just great, inexpensive and well built for the long run! I got enough wood from that one sheet for a total of 3 boxes, one more to go.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

Naive question, but since I have no way of hauling wood other than my car, and have no power tools, do Home Depot (and the likes) cut a sheet to your measurements?

17. Litejazz53

They do indeed, and I am in the same boat as you, as I am not a woodworker and don't have anything but the basics, and you need a good professional saw to cut those pieces, you would think it's no big deal but it absolutely is, but one sheet gave me enough to make those three boxes, and they are nice, heavy and sturdy.

18. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

Cool-- share your specs if you can, and the paint job...looks good to me, and I love the idea of having moveable units that can be stacked and arranged as needed.

19. murphythecat

20. Litejazz53

Ok, I don't recall the plywood thickness, but it's the thick stuff, 5/8" or 7/8", whatever, as they are super solid. The plywood sheet is obviously 4 X 8 and here are the exact board measurements. One will be a tad bigger if you want to put those old box set albums in there, you will notice I left lots of room at the top for fat finger people like me! Ok, here we go. The long sides are exactly 34.5" long and 12 1/2" wide. The top and bottom pieces are 13 1/8" long and 12 1/2" wide. The back board is 34 1/2" long and 5" wide, it's all you need. If you decide to build the last one to fit the box set records, the dimensions for the smaller pieces are 14" high X 13" wide, also change the top and bottom boards to the 13" width, still 34 1/2" long.

The finish is really cool. Get the "better" flat black Walmart paint, the $3.50 stuff, I used Rust-Oleum American Accents X Ultra Cover, Flat Black. The clear glaze I used is Krylon Tripple-Thick Crystal Clear Glaze in the can. Sand the exposed edges and faces with 150 sand paper, there is really no reason to sand the inside of the box, except for the inside bottom, which I finish like the rest of the box, but the side walls of the inside and top are not clear glazed like the rest of the box. You can always go to 220 sanding, but it is just not necessary, mine is smooth as silk. I marked all the boards with drilled holes where once painted you can see how you put the thing together. I assembled it completely unfinished, that way when I was ready, it fit together like a puzzle. I marked where each piece went with small holes drilled where they would not be seen, one hole, two holes, three holes, etc. whatever way is good for you. The reason this is important, on this inexpensive wood, you have to select the best sides and ends to have the best facing out, that's why you want to fit it all together with those good surfaces on the outside.

Once the flat black paint is all dry, lightly sand the black paint with 220 sand paper, be careful on the edges not to go through the paint. This is very important, because if you put the clear glaze on without the light 220 sand, you will have little bubbles and bumpy stuff, lots! After sanding lightly, wipe the surface with an old towel, and all the excess black crap will be gone. Once you put one coat of Clear Glaze, wait one day and do a 0000 steel wool rub, very important, in the direction of the grain, back and forth. Then you have a solid smooth finish, little to no bumps. You can go back and apply two or three more coats without steel wool treatments on the last two coats, if you want to take a shortcut. After three or four coats, and you are nice and dry, two days later, get out the 0000 steel wool again and carefully and evenly rub back and forth with the grain, not against the grain. This puts a light "refined" haze on the wood, what I like to call the Steinway look, it's not that cheap bright shinny finish that so many people don't know how to get rid of. It's still a beautiful polished look, just not the cheap shinny look. Do not put anything on the top for at least 4 days, giving the clear glaze long enough to really harden. Also when you are doing the steel wool treatment, be careful about grabbing the finished sides hard with you fingers, as the glaze is still not rock solid hard, so keep that finger pressure off that finish, now don't forget that!!!! You can buff with the 0000 steel wool, just no finger pressure. When your done with that, take your puzzle and screw everything together, watching that you don't put that finger pressure on the beautiful finish you have just made, and you are ready to go, remember, nothing on top for a few days. When you finish you will think, wow, that looks damn good! :laughup:

21. james

james Summon The Queen

Kind of hard to tell from the photos...what's going on here? Bed-fi? If so, love it

black sheriff, martinb4 and PhilBiker like this.
  22. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

pat metheney- ya bro!

23. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

You've almost got it. If I click on them they get big.

Looks cozy!

PhilBiker likes this.
  24. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

Stumbled into one of his concerts in your town about thirty years ago. He used to play "The Vic" in my neighborhood, (Belmont & Sheffield), when I lived there. A great show...so I saw him the next year he came around. Then, saw he was playing out here last year, with his "Unity" band, so I went, and he still puts on a great show! That Ben Williams is one bass playin' mo-fo!

25. murphythecat

ya lol! I spend so much time listening to my system, that any couch or chairs became uncomfortable after long time sessions. I also really enjoy listening to ambient music which requires to be very comfortable. Using a bed as a listening position has really been awesome and also helps acoustic as its in foam.
    The last thing I need to do is install my ceiling cloud.