Post photos of your systems/rooms here! Part 4

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Craig, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

The new table looks great Tom. I think it matches the Wadia very nicely. Clean modern design for your sources. :thumbsup:

2. Tommy,
    Love those C-J's!

3. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

You should hear them! :righton:

4. My vintage system, Thorens TD-160 Super w/Linn Basik LVX, Denon DL-110 cartridge, Pioneer SA 9800 Integrated Amp, and The Advent Loudspeaker (Original model w/walnut cabinets). The last picture shows the newest additions to my vinyl collection from various record shows the past few months.

Attached Files:

5. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

stylish and nice - I'd like a malt, buddy..

6. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Nice table. :righton:

7. Tommy,

great set up and great pics.

Congrats. :cheers:

8. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

After spending 20 yrs in that same room, I've got the kinks worked out. There are sidewall absorbtion panels. Plus further back on the left wall and rear, addition absorbtion panels. The room is over 30 feet long, but only 10FT wide at the narrow point. If I move the speakers closer together, the center image suffers. I sit about 20ft away from them and they fire outward into my sweetspot with laser precision. A 10FT wide room is far from ideal, probably one of the least desireable dimensions one could be dealt. Yet, the soundtage is very deep, wide, and tall. Imaging well outside the box both left and right and deep into the corners.

I appreciate the supportive comments. Just think about it, this month will be 20yrs listening time down in that same cell block. Thru my 20's, 30's and now I'm 47yrs old. And still listening to the tunes.
    :righton:

9. Hey, next time I'm in Atlanta . . .

10. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

That AVID looks great in all black...

11. JMT

JMT Senior Member

I love the looks of the Conrad Johnson gear, I bet they sound magical.

12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Your system and room looks great. It must sound great too!

13. I can only speak from experience re: C-J gear I have heard (including my C-J integrated amp), but generally, C-J gear sounds as good as it looks! The one caveat is that you have to like the classic tube sound--very, very warm, liquid midrange, with just the smallest bit rolled off on top and a tiny lack of control in the low bass (some people describe it as "flubbiness" but I have no idea what they are trying to say, I would say that the bass just isn't quite as "tight" as in some solid state designs). I avoid those problems by using a Triangle solid state powered subwoofer with very accurate, tight bass response and Triangle speakers that some people feel are a little bright with solid state electronics.

That being said, I have the "baby" C-J integrated, and it is about 7 years old, and I am sure that Tommy's newer, bigger, better gear has even more of what's good about the classic C-J sound and even less of what's bad.

Still, my C-J is my "exit point," I don't see myself upgrading at any point in the future. I am THAT satisfied with the sound! Pure heaven to my ears . . .

14. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Thanks for the comments everyone.

The CJ sound that you describe was their signature sound however over the last eight years they have extensively evolved. Their last two or three generations starting with the ART preamp can best be described as neutal. My preamp is a CT5 which is sonically as neutal as the ACT 2. The amp is their Hybrid which has a tube input stage and a solid state output.

15. And here it is. Tubes are Siemens EL-34's, RCA red base 5692's, Telefunken 12ax7's, and a Telefunken 12au7.

Attached Files:

16. I feel woefully underdressed for this thread, but here's my little setup anyway...

At the left edge of the desk, a Technics 1200 turntable. In front of the turntable is an external 100 GB hard drive. At the center is a small LCD monitor sitting on top of the computer. Computer is hooked up to the receiver as if it were a cassette deck. To the right of that is an external 500 GB hard drive. At the right edge of the desk, from bottom up, is an early-'80s era Realistic receiver. On top of that is a very old single-disc CD player, also from Realistic. I have about ten first-generation CD players, all of which still work. No particular reason why I use this one here. On top of that is a Technics AM/FM tuner. At the top of the heap is a little Realistic switchy box with an extra set of RCA jacks, so I can plug in whatever else I need, like a cassette deck or a VCR. To the left and right of the desk are a pair of old Advent speakers.

Not flashy at all, but it works.

Attached Files:

17. What a beauty and great tubes too. :love:

18. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

This is really cool!:thumbsup:

19. Thanks! I am saving up for Mullards at some point. Don't get me wrong, I like the Siemens (RFT's) a lot.

20. McIntosh

McIntosh Forum Resident

Here is my current mess. Rack is full, BD on a crate, power supplies on the floor, far from ideal....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rockindownthehighway likes this.
  21. gordolindsay

gordolindsay Forum Resident

:love:

22. Great pics, excellent set up, congrats. :cheers:

23. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

I love that turntable!

24. LeeS