Post photos of your systems/rooms here!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dean De Furia, Jan 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Is Favre coming back for another season?

(Sorry, just slightly off topic ;))

2. sicksteve

sicksteve New Member

I'd like some ideas from others on their mobile set-ups environments. The amps I'll be using will be large (Tube Driver TD1500 and a TD450 and a nak EC-304 X-over or Zapco Symbilink balanced receivers and power supply all one one amp rack). I have a large car, so that part is not an issue.

What I want to see is the interior shots of speaker locations

3. sicksteve

sicksteve New Member

Here's the interior:

Building fiberglass enclosures in the kickpanel minimmiz path-length differences, thereby improving imaging. But this interior has a lot of problem areas (the torpedo rear window)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With that huge curved, boattail rear glass, there are going to be many unwanted diffractions.

4. sicksteve

sicksteve New Member

I sed to think as a kid (about 10 years old in '72), that that rear package shelf would make a great place for huge 18" subwoofers. the whole idea of 18"subs is ridiculous. I had 8" nakamichi SP-80's which produced some of the most natural automotive bass, given complete isolation from the rear back wave to the frontal wave (it's harder to seal than it sounds)

5. jt1stcav

jt1stcav Say It With Single-Ended Triodes

Hey there, fogged.zep...like your AS-F2s? I had a pair for awhile but regrettably sold them. They were too big for my tiny music room and were replaced by a smaller pair of Triangle Zephyrs. Probably should've bought the smaller Athena AS-B1 bookshelf loudspeakers instead...oh well. Enjoy.

Attached Files:

6. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I like how the driver controls the heating and air con:)

7. kurtphyre

kurtphyre Senior Member<br>Formerly fogged.zep

Yup, he sure is :edthumbs:

They have served me well. They don't cost a whole lot and sound very good; especially considering their price. I don't think there are better tower speakers than these under $600/pair. Although I don't really have high-end components they sound good to my ears. I'm sure I will eventually replace them with something better...but my receiver is next to go. Then I intend to get an amp and maybe a dedicated CD player. Who knows :confused:

8. jt1stcav

Don't be too hastey selling off your AS-F2s just yet. They are most certainly a bargain and have excellent reviews, and I'm thinking they'll sound even better once you replace your receiver with a high-quality amp and an improved source.

9. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Yeah, the Athena's and my Clestion F38's are real true bargains. You can't go wrong with either of 'em.

I'm getting a Bryston 4BSST for my Celestions...it should be pretty sweet.

:edthumbs:

10. jt1stcav

The stands are by the Canadian firm Atlantis and its there Pro Series 28.

Since I mainly listen to classical music, I guess I don't really hear that much of a difference with two active subs as opposed to one. The only reason I bought the second sub was due to a great closeout price since that model had just been discontinued for a newer design. On certain pipe organ recordings I can differentiate the sonic characteristics of having stereo subs, since with some organs the lowest bass pipes are spread out across the entire width of the organ case. Thus, with a diatonic layout, one note could be playing from the left while the very next note will play from the right; back and forth like a ping-pong ball as the notes are played up or down the scale. Stereo subwoofers certainly have their benefits!:righton:

11. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

As requested...closeup of the Teres in cocobolo wood :wave:

Attached Files:

ncblue likes this.
  12. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Nice table!

How do you like it? Also, how difficult would you say the Tri Planar
    was to set up....

13. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Hey Steve:

How good and available are those old Nak car cassette decks? I'd really like to put one in my old vintage BMW... I still have a couple pair of ADS speakers (I really liked em too..) and a Milbert for the trunk! I've gotta get this project done this summer!

thanks in advance for the help!

14. sicksteve

sicksteve New Member

your system looked like beautiful as-is, but I always wonder why people have stereo subs (I agree, there are many reasons; but if they share one enclosure, cancellations could occur if the mic-ing of , say, a double bass drum picked up different phase characteristics). Personally. I agree with you (stereo subs), because much percussion-oriented music may involve panning of low-frequency instruments. I brought up the Blue Man Group, because they are ardent supporters of multi-channel, produce and mix their music just for such a format.

But your system, aesthetically, looked great and balanced. None of my home systems has the simplistic beauty that I see here.

15. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

Jeff. Thanks :) Great engineering! It does everything imaginable. I almost got a Schroeder but didn't want to wait months for it.

Setup was quite easy. The manual was concise and the arm came with a template and a mirrored cartridge alignment tool. However, I really took my time - I didn't want to drill any more holes than necessary :eek:

16. sicksteve

sicksteve New Member

Well, I did buy TWO TD-1200, the absolute BEST mobile cassette deck ( basically a DRAGON on-the-road), on ebay. One was about $900, another one was ~$700. Stupid me! I ended up selling them for a small profit!!

But the good models ARE available: I saw a TD-700 and a new TD-500C (a Japanese-only model) on ebay. I'm using the last Japanese-built "real" Nak tape deck--the Tuner/deck1 with a power-port 1; it has the 0.8 micron Crystalloy head and adjustable azimuth control (the best, most used feature on mobile equipment that produces easily discerned differences)>

One for sale on ebay now is a 1000 series tape-deck/CD changer control for $800. It looks like the classic TD-700, with those piano key-like function switches that I found to have very good ergonomics. I believe it is closer to a TD-700 than a TD-1200. It has a dual asymmetrical capstan the TD-700 did, and I believe the same tape head.the 1000 series would have the possibility of having many things go wrong due to its complex motorized face place, which turns the tape deck into a different-looking CD changer control. Their pre-amps are all great.

I can honestly tell you that if I record a CD on my Dragon on a TDK SA-X or MAX-G tape, I cannot tell the difference--plus the tapes sound more dynamic than most CD players, most of which don't place a great emphasis on the pre-amp section. On the classic old Nak decks made in japan, their pre-amps were extremely clean.

But look on ebay, there is always a TD-500/700, which are refurbished with a warranty) available. Even a TD-500 is great---it has adjustable azimuth control, but not the dual asymmetrical capstans of the 700. It still sounded great.

My simple system I'm working on is getting complex. It will have the new-in-box TunerDeck1, but it will use a high-grade Zapco pre-amp, which only takes their own high-voltage "Symbilink" inputs/outputs. So < had to buy an RCA> Symbilink adapter. The Zapco pre-amp does also act as a Symbilink transmitter (18V signal sent over what looks to be wide, telephone-like cable), but it needs a Symbilink receiver (which I bought) and power supply (which I'm having a hard time getting). If you use a Zapco amp, those last things are not required.

But getting back to what you were asking, there are many TD-500/700 on ebay. I rarely see TD-1200, although I have a dealer's name in the Orient who only sells high-end mobile audio of different brands. I bought my new Nak CD700II from him, and it came fully boxed and wrapped and completely tested in 2days! he had a 100% rating, and does offer some of the items you mention. If you want his name, ask me.

17. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Very cool!! Let me see how the summer shapes up and Ill be pestering you.
    I really want to put a good stereo in my car. I have an 85 BMW 3 series Alpina and it's just my sunday drive car, so If I put a good stereo in it, it will just be my treat..

I have a couple of very clean Nak 600II decks that my buddy here in town refurbed for me, so I can make great tapes.

Thanks a lot for the help!

ncblue likes this.
  18. sicksteve

sicksteve New Member

oh, and careful bidding on McIntosh head units on ebay. Ebay informed me that that two seller(s) were banned from ebay, who had McIntosh head units at seemingly low prices, and asked not to finalize any payment outside of ebay on two models I bid on

19. sicksteve

sicksteve New Member

I'm getting way-off topic here. (well, not that much--because they are audio interiors) But, yes, they HVAC control are placed in a logical location. The '71/'72 Rivieras had an even better laid-out dash, with twin wrap-around cockpits.

20. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

One of the prettiest tables I have seen. :)

21. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.