Post Your Needledrops (Part Five)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Stefan, Apr 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsternbe

jsternbe Senior Member

That LZ drop rocks and that is all that really counts with Zeppelin!

2. jsternbe

jsternbe Senior Member

It makes me want to get some Dire Staights on vinyl instead of just relying on my old CDs.

3. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Sounds great. I usually hear this on the radio so it's good to hear a proper sounding version, too.

4. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

Yea I was sitting here with headphones on when I was ripping it thinking OH MY GOD this sounds incredible.

The other thing is how the power cable and direct connection to the power conditioner improved my motor noise. That is the single biggest improvement any of those power cables and conditioner ever achieved. It was always like “something sounds different I guess it’s better” this corrected a defect or at least minimized it.

5. ghost rider

I'm sure becoming a big fan of 180g reissues. I wonder if they will ever do a RL version of LZ2?

6. jsternbe

jsternbe Senior Member

I'm not sure if the mothers or any of the stampers still exist anywhere or what shape they would be in, so most likely he would have to master it all over again. Fortunately original copies *can* be found, but it requires looking at every copy of LZII that you come across.

7. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

8. ghost rider

Nice bass line and the snare drum that follows the beat. Funny now that I'm getting used to my new setup your drops don't sound bright any more.:D

c-eling likes this.
  9. c-eling

I'm thinking it's the at120, going to try some Thompson Twins with the Ortofon also :)

10. FulhamTarheel

FulhamTarheel Forum Resident

My latest. Don't get seasick at the beginning. THIS is what I was talking about with Sterling and their pressings.

11. jsternbe

jsternbe Senior Member

I like the music, but you are definitely overloading the front end of either your preamp or your sound card. It sounds a bit clipped and looking at the waveform confirms it.

[​IMG]

12. jsternbe

jsternbe Senior Member

Since this seems to be an '80s crowd, here is "Something About You" by Level 42 from the 10" single. I always thought it was mastered way to brightly, but it still instantly takes me back to 1985.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/cdub7l

13. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member Thread Starter

That's much more balanced tonally than the earlier sample, but as jsternbe mentioned, it's overloaded. I haven't really read many comments about the AT120e being overly bright, so it might be a matter of your loading/capacitance being a bit high.

Mind you, if you can get the overload sorted out and the Ortofon doesn't track too heavily, you might be better off with it.

14. c-eling

Thanks for the input guys, adjusted my gain on the focusrite, good to go :)

15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

We like all eras of music.

ascot likes this.
  16. c-eling

Screw it, I'm going to use my Ortofon Serato for my drops, sounds better, tracks better and I don't think any damage will occur just using it once per lp @3.5

17. jsternbe

jsternbe Senior Member

Yea. Its definitely an eclectic mix here. On the other hand, judging by some other threads its a wonder that this thread isn't completely dominated by the Beatles. This is coming from someone who loves the Beatles and has bought all of their records many many times over.

18. c-eling

Technics Sl-1900
    MF VLPS-II
    Ortofon Serato 120 om
    Scarlett 2i2 @24/88
    De-Click 1.5
    Cocteau Twins-Cico Buff Blue Bell Knoll 1988/US Capitol
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/jsco2j

19. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member Thread Starter

It being Canada Day, I thought I'd throw up a Canadian duet from 1980. Rush with Max Webster from the excellent album by the latter called Universal Juveniles.

This is called Battle Scar.

20. jsternbe

jsternbe Senior Member

I love how dynamic the drums sound. Happy Canada Day!

21. DaleH

DaleH Forum Resident

This is from a Tom Petty 45, Cabin Down Below, acoustic version. There are two clips in the sample recorded on two different setups.
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/u6w9h8

One rig is a Van Den Hul MC1 LOMC on a Well Tempered Turntable with a SUT into my Adcom pre. The other is an Adcom XCMRII HOMC on a Technics SP25 with a Rega RB100 arm. The Adcom cartridge had a trashed cantilever that I pasted back together. I have ten times more money in the VDH MC1 WTT rig. I'm enjoying the Adcom cartridge though, it may be the best HOMC I've had but I may just be going deaf.:)

22. DaleH

DaleH Forum Resident

Nice huge sound. Do you feel the AT cartridge sounds balanced or is it bright on some recordings?

23. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Bah! Beatle drops have been done thousands of times by now. Let's just focus on obscure cover albums now. :winkgrin:

This medley is from an LP in my grandfather's collection. It's called Lee Castle & The Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra Play The Big Band Beatles Bag! It's on Pickwick records and side 2 is so badly mis-pressed my tonearm was bouncing side-to-side like 70's Night at the local bowling lounge.

Big Band Beatles Bag - Lee Castle & the Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra

1. Eleanor Rigby
    2. Michelle
    3. And I Love Her
    4. Penny Lane
    5. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
    6. Birthday

Enjoy!

24. FrankieP

FrankieP Forum Resident

Recently visited Bananas Music at St. Pete and was so overwhelmed by the amount of vinyl that I had to come back the next day and spent hours and hours digging through. Mind you this was only the retail store that I visited. They also have a warehouse which supposedly stores over a million records. I plan to go there next week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 2nd pic above are all 12" vinyl bargain bins. Scored a mint copy of Nick Heyward's "Whistle Down The Wind" for $2!

Here's the drop that I did last night...

"Whistle Down The Wind" - Nick Heyward
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/d5m54k

"Whistle Down The Wind (Instrumental)" - Nick Heyward
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/uko219

"Whistle Down The Wind (Reprise)" - Nick Heyward
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/rlbmcf

c-eling likes this.
  25. jsternbe

jsternbe Senior Member

I love Bananas, but I haven't been there in over a decade since I am not very close. It is the only place I have been where I walked in, asked for a mono pressing of the Beatles White Album and the guy looked at me, asked if I wanted an original or a repress for cheaper. I said the cheaper one and in a few minutes he had one in my hand. That's almost absurd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.