Post Your Needledrops (Part Three)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mark, Apr 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I know that ultimately I'll have a better TT and stylus and I'll re-rip 'em. :righton:

2. drivingfrog

drivingfrog Calm down, have some dip.

I've got the same table and cartridge. I'd still have to weigh my options about upgrading to the Jico, but I'm itching for that preamp now that I've heard your samples. It sounds beautiful.

3. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Keep in mind that I completely removed the onboard preamp from the turntable. That's one of the reasons it has as much clarity as it does now.

Watch this for more info:

The guy was absolutely right to remove it.

4. drivingfrog

drivingfrog Calm down, have some dip.

I've seen this video before, and I agree. I remember in another thread about the m97, I was telling you that the cartridge brings out a good amount of right-channel nonsense, and now I'm absolutely sure that it's not the cartridge. It's gotta be the weak preamp. Or at least I hope it is. :)

I'll try this soon.

EDIT: It just occurred to me that this guy's on the verge of ruining a nice-sounding LP! 3 grams! :cussing:

5. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

You'll be happy with your results. :) Sure,I destroyed its resale value, but I'll keep it as a backup once I upgrade.

The guy glosses over re-wiring the ground, but fortunately I got it right the first time.

6. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Hm. Sounds a little distant, like it's at the other end of a metal tube. :confused:

7. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

It doesn't have much re-sale value, if that helps anyone. I've had a very hard time selling mine -- partially because it's so heavy so it makes shipping it tough, but local / Craigslist has been uneventful so far. I might still put it under the knife, at some point.

8. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Here's a new LP (care of that ttvjaudio sale that was going on):

U2 - Gloria (2008 remaster) 24/96 FLAC, 1 minute sample.
    Technics SL-3200
    AT440Mla
    Furutech GT40 ADC to Audacity 2.x under Ubuntu 12.10 x64
    ClickRepair 25/20 (some surface noise)

The 440 added more surface noise than my 120e, but it just had too much detail so I opted for heavier ClickRepair settings, instead. I have my US 80's LP, the US 80's CD and the 2008 CD, and this vinyl remaster is by far my favorite version.

The 2008 CD was very good, but there was definitely some compression going on that isn't happening on the vinyl.

9. jsternbe

jsternbe Senior Member

I found an unplayed early 1970s Magical Mystery Tour EP today. Here is part of "I am the Walrus" played on the PL-L1000 with the Ortofon 2m Blue.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/bnpyzn

10. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I like that we're talking in here about a miracle $40 preamp, and there's another thread running where a guy is looking for preamp recommendations in the $3,000 range. Whole 'nother ballgame.

drivingfrog and Thurenity like this.
  11. Col Kepper

Col Kepper Well-Known Member

12. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

What are your speakers/amp? I think I'm missing the low end even using the better dithering/downlampling. And, thanks for the feedback, it helps.

13. Col Kepper

14. Col Kepper

15. Ringo75503

Ringo75503 Forum Resident

How are you going into the PC with this? Back through the Behringer via Line-In - USB ? THe ART unit just has RCA output. I wonder how the upgraded one with the USB output on it sounds and if it does 24/96?

16. WobblyWilly

WobblyWilly Forum Resident

17. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

I agree. When you get a stylus in the zone, it really makes a difference in reducing groove noise and minor imperfections. That being said, I also think frequency response is a big factor. Carts that are flat or even slightly recessed in the presence area will be known as quiet trackers (which can come at the expense of the excitement factor however).

Thanks for commenting on my clip a few pages back by the way. I finally got around to listening to your Joni Mitchell and thought it sounded very nice (keeping in mind that I'm no expert and don't own that live version). Other than the cartridge, I don't believe you have elaborated on the rest of the chain? Would be interesting to know.

18. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I listen in my living room, using my entertainment center PC running through an HDMI connection to a $600 Denon amp and whatever Sony's top-of-the-line 5.1 speakers were a decade ago.

"Avalon" is kind of an echoey recording anyway; your rip just sounded . . . distant. That's the best word I have for it.

19. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

What I like about 32 is that I can bounce a track between Audacity, iZotope and Clickrepair for editing, and know it's not being upconverted from 24 to 32 every time. It's staying natively 32 until I do my final dither.

I'll have to download and listen to all these new samples later on . . .my wife and kid are asleep and I don't think they want to get woken up yet. :)

20. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

At 42K, this cart is still pushing out lots of that airy high frequency. I compared this to the remaster, which sounds much more forward.

I like the sound I get using Löfgren B, but it never performs as well in real world tracking. I'm using Stevenson until I get the balance worked out.

AT150MLX > Sota Comet with modified RB300 > 120K loading plugs (42K) total > modified Phonomena II > DIY UPOCC interconnects > 3db attenuators > MacBook

I'm working with different software/sampling combinations—88200Hz/24bit on down. I'm using the iZotope's MBIT+™ on this most recent, but not on the Joni RIP.

21. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

:eek:

That's a phrase I don't want to see for years yet!

22. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I know. I wish her a long, happy retirement. She is the greatest. Miles of Aisles is a really great double if you ever see a clean copy, don’t hesitate.

23. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I'm looking at our copy right now. :D

My wife and I love her. We have a full set of the Reprise LPs on vinyl AND I got her the complete Reprise Studio Recordings CD boxset for Christmas. Of course, since it's studio only, Miles of Aisles was left out. :realmad:

Well, guess I know what's getting ripped soon. :D

By the way, Joni is one of the artists having a vinyl resurgence. Her used LPs are starting to skyrocket in price. It's weird seeing her stuff going for the same prices as Zappa LPs.

24. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I find clean ones around. I love listening to Jaco's work on Don Juan’s Restless Daughter, a huge and sometimes overlooked recording.

25. Col Kepper

The Behringer is not even an item in the workflow anymore. I've got the Sanyo Direct Drive Turntable RCAed into the ART DJ PRE II and then the output jacks from the preamp go into my line in on my soundcard. I record using Audacity or Audition, although I have experienced dropped samples with Audition. I record at -6db and at a resolution of 32-bit/44.1 kHz. I find Ben's workflow pretty doable. Keeping the original rip at 32-bit floating I'm able to bounce the file between programs without having to jump from 24-bits to 23-bits.
    I just ripped Jackson Brown's Lawyers In Love and it sounds great! Here is the track Tender Is The Night, as a sample of that rip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.