Post your record collection pics

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zippy, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

Happy Birthday. Sean.

2. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

3. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

WOW! Very nice setup! Impressive CD collection. I like the type of shelves you have. Elegant and practical at the same time. My husband's CDs are now finally streamlined into eight 8 feet tall IKEA black shelves that look minimalist. He has also a neat 7 feet tall carousel that holds around 1250 CDs (his more 'obscure' bands are in that one). He is a bit OCD, not only are they alphabetically organized, but also chronologically in terms of which album came first etc....Same with his LPs (which are really the main focus point of his collection) - my man is a vinyl junkie, thousands and thousands + counting. Anyway, sometimes I feel I live in a music store, since we have half of them in the living room and the other half in the bedroom. A couple thousand more in boxes in the storage room. I am so happy there was still space in our living room for my own little setup.

This is my modest classical LP collection. So far it's 415 plus a dozen boxsets. Proud of their condition and how little I had to pay for them, at 1 CAD each. It feels like hitting the jackpot!

[​IMG]

4. Spear and Magic Helmet

Spear and Magic Helmet Forum Resident

Just for your Miles Davis collection alone, this is AMAZING!

5. A portion of my solo Beatles section with header cards from Capitol records circa 1976.

[​IMG]

6. Joe Chip

Joe Chip Forum Resident

Here is an overview of my multi-room CD library, with more specific notes posted for each pic. The library currently numbers well over 33,000 discs, with over 90% of it devoted to electronic, experimental, avant-garde, and unclassifiable, and the rest comprised of jazz (and all subgenres), rock (and all subgenres), world music, soundtracks, & comedy/stand-up. The library is organized alphabetically by artist, with each title filed chronologically by recording and/or release date.

ROOM 1 — This is the 'outer' room containing jazz, rock, comedy, soundtrack & world CDs. Out of view in this first pic is a small corner bookcase where the jazz section begins; two sections to the far right is where electronic/experimental begins. Also not shown: a TV cabinet which hosts a good chunk of my oversize box sets, mostly jazz & rock, some examples being all the numerous King Crimson 12 x 12 boxes; the three Pink Floyd sets for "Wish", "Dark Side", & "The Wall"; 12 x 12 boxes by Family, Steve Hillage, John Martyn, et al; plus sets by Bill Nelson, The Beatles, Simple Minds, Depeche Mode, The Fall, Eyeless in Gaza, Weather Report, Rush, etc., etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ROOM 2 — This is the main room, and the bulk of my library, housing electronic, experimental, avant, and unclassifiable. A few years back, this space hosted my One Thousand Pulses home concert series; at 14 x 31, it's a pretty large room, and we easily sat 50-60 chairs here, plus the artist set-up. Among the many musicians who performed here were Robert Rich, Malcolm Cecil (from TONTO's Expanding Head Band), Chuck Van Zyl, Spyra, Steve Moore (of Zombi), Rapoon, Richard Lainhart, Don Slepian, Tim Motzer, Peter Biedermann, my own duo Groupthink, and many others.

PIC 1 — View of the main room, by the entrance, looking to the back. Note table with brick box sets directly in foreground, all of which are jazz/rock boxes: four Genesis sets, Henry Cow complete three-box set, David Sylvian, Phil Collins, the Doors, Split Enz; not seen is the Miles Davis Complete Columbia collection, Herbie Hancock Complete Columbia, fusion bands Pegasus, Perigeo, T-Square, and many others.

[​IMG]

PIC 2 — Reverse: from the back, looking to the entrance on the far left, & the soundsystem.

[​IMG]

PIC 3 — The soundsystem, and more large electronic boxsets. Additional box sets are set on floating shelves behind each speaker, and out of sight on the right. Just no more room!

[​IMG]

For those further curious, you can take a tour of the entire space at my YouTube channel, link below. (Note that some changes have been made to the space since this video was created; it needs an update & better picture quality, forthcoming in 2017):

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    lightappears, Sean, Artery1 and 48 others like this.
  7. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Let me be the first to say...holy ****! :faint:

:thumbsup:

8. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Wow. Very cool. I enjoyed the guided video tour.
    I love that in addition to he collection, you have not one, but at least TWO MTA subways signs.

Joe Chip likes this.
  9. Joe Chip

Joe Chip Forum Resident

Yes, I am also a subway aficionado (and of the NYC system in particular); bought those from a long defunct dealer in Manhattan. They're real signs too, not reproductions. Thanx for the comments and glad you enjoyed the tour!

adriatikfan likes this.
  10. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

That's a beautiful room, Joe.

Joe Chip likes this.
  11. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

(Bows down) I'm not worthy. I'm not worthy!!

12. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

I noticed they were real. That's why it's impressive. I'm an MTA enthusiast, as well.

I just realized: the CD collection of my public library in the city I grew up in was nowhere nearly as impressive.

Joe Chip likes this.
  13. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I've only been back into vinyl about 3 months, but here is my modest collection so far...

[​IMG]

Darryl

Sean, Fullbug, Juggsnelson and 5 others like this.
  14. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

Not for nothing, that a fair amount for 3 months.

Man at C&A likes this.
  15. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

Cool! What made you start one in the first place?

16. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

Faaaaaaak that's all I can say.

Joe Chip likes this.
  17. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Finally got around to getting another TT.

Darryl

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  18. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

A decent couch-side view of my dedicated listening spot. Unfortunately I can rarely crank things due to the close proximity to the neighbours. CDs are in another room as there's no CD player in here.

[​IMG]

sassi, POGunter, AJK74 and 5 others like this.
  19. These are my CanAm CD drawers which have most my cd collection. On top and next to them we have most of the boxed sets. As you can see I'm running out of space for them. On the right you can see some of my music DVDs.
    [​IMG]
    The Grateful Dead has it's own section here:
    [​IMG]
    Left of the Grateful Dead we have my classical CDs:
    [​IMG]
    And then there's my classical mega sets (my complete Bach and Mozart sets don't fit in the picture):
    [​IMG]
    Not photographs of my vinyl collection right now, it's a mess in the attic so I can't take proper photographs right now.

BigGame and Juggsnelson like this.
  20. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

This is a beautiful setup. May I ask, were all the CD shelves custom built? Did you spec out the dimensions, as they are perfect fit for CDs (height, depth)?
    I've considered turning a closet into a storage space and want to build custom LP and CD shelves like these.

Joe Chip likes this.
  21. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    BigGame, Turntable, Fullbug and 4 others like this.
  22. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Nice!

What's the poster, did IDIB send it to you?

23. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

I could live in that space, minus the weights, nice cleaner though.

Fullbug likes this.
  24. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Pictures of cd's/weights from the garage.

royzak2000 likes this.
  25. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Leave em there, too heavy man.

sberger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.