Power Amp New vs Old School

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by John Tolbert, Jan 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Tolbert

John Tolbert New Member Thread Starter

I'm struggling with the notion of replacing my Carver Premiere 705 THX power amp with a Rotel RB 1582. I'm struggling because there's nothing wrong with the Carver.......I just have that itch for "new"! Never owned a Rotel and need some opinions on this particular Rotel RB 1582 power amp. (Current system: Project carbon TT, Sony TA ES9000 preamp, Carver Premiere 705 THX and, Martin Logan Motion 40 speakers) Thanks

2. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Based on the bolded comment above and also in relation to the rest of your current system..........

A new Pre/Pro is a MUCH better way to scratch that itch!!!!!!...................just my opinion.....:)

Your Sony is very long in the tooth now and way behind the current crop WRT SQ and features.

I had one so I do speak from experience..:agree:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    Tim 2, Bananas&blow and Helom like this.
  3. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

John,

What made you choose the Rotel amp rather than something else? Do you have experience with the Rotel?

Scott

4. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I run a Carver AV505 amp, it's never let me down and always seems to run at pretty cool temps. I enjoy the sound too, but occasionally I think about changing out the amp for something new (new to me).

5. Aereoplain

Aereoplain Forum Resident

Carver AV705x and AV505X are some of the best!!
    You would be changing not upgrading with just about whatever.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  6. Vinyl Addict

Are they really that good though? I had it recently gone through too, it's been great. How much would I need to spend to see an improvement?

7. John Tolbert

Thanks Linger63....yes, the Sony is really long in the tooth...but it sounds great and still does the job. I'm just trying to push it a little more with a 220 wpc amp to see if there is an improvement. Thanks for the tip!!

Linger63 likes this.
  8. John Tolbert

Hey Scott, thanks for asking. I've heard some really good things about Rotel and it's history. I've listened to a number of other power amps (in my listening room at home) and the rotel was a better sounding amp over the Emotiva and even the marantz. So, ythat's how I got there...any suggestions? Thanks!

9. John Tolbert

I certainly understand that notion to change...its a good amp, but I just know that I can do a little better without breaking the bank. Thanks!

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  10. Aereoplain

A lot more!!
    I may suggest, if possible, try an in home demo with whatever you might be looking at before purchasing.

11. Aereoplain

You may be surprised!

12. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Frankly, as already suggested, you may be better off getting a new preamp.

LarryP, Synthfreek and Linger63 like this.
  13. John Tolbert

[
    Thanks Aeroplane, that's exactly what I did..listening to 3 different amps; Emotiva, Marantz and Rotel. I will admit, it took me awhile, but it was worth it. The Rotel for my room sounded the best and the Emotiva second. I just want to be satisfied on your decision as to replacing my Carver705x, that has and still performs well. Thanks again!

QUOTE="Aereoplain, post: 15832999, member: 16083"]A lot more!!
    I may suggest, if possible, try an in home demo with whatever you might be looking at before purchasing.[/QUOTE]

14. John Tolbert

15. John Tolbert

Scott, thanks for the response. No, I haven't personally had experience with Rotel other than what a few buddies that Rotel experience and I've heard theirs. Is there something good I'm missing.....I'm open for information and thoughts!

16. Mr Physical Format

Mr Physical Format Member

Leave it & enjoy the music.

17. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I agree.

Linger63 likes this.
  18. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Back in the day I lusted for Rotel stuff, salesman told me about how it was built to military specs and stuff, I really dug that concept. I never bought Rotel but i remember the "hook" and still consider it when I see reviews of their products. Seemed like good stuff that would last.

19. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I bought a new Rotel DAC about a year ago and I really like it. At the store where I bought it I listened to the big two channel amp they have and it was really a I restive. I don't know that you can do better for the same price on a new amp.

HDOM and Manimal like this.
  20. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

That Rotel stereo amp is a lot nicer than the Carver 5 channel amp.
    -Bill

Bananas&blow and Dennis0675 like this.
  21. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I very much agree, it's not close

22. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I recently read the review on their (rotel) new massive 2 channel amp and it seemed very impressive, I think it's a "can't go wrong" brand.

timind and Dennis0675 like this.
  23. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

[​IMG] I could dig it:)

Bananas&blow, scobb and Dennis0675 like this.
  24. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I don't know that there has been any really drastic new power amp designs in the last few decades? Any specific groundbreaking examples that are now in common use?

25. Vinyl Addict

There's a Rotel RB-1050 for sale locally for $100. I don't need it, but is it worth picking up anyway?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.