Power Cord Shoot-Out: 14 Power Cords Reviewed

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by markl, Oct 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

My closest experience to power cords was a little more 'complete'. It was a demo of three PS audio equipments that re-generated the power. Needless to say they were connected to the A/C outlet through the thick PS Audio power cords that Mark mentions. The difference before and after was quite noticeable although I am sure that, at my budget level, it is too much to pay US$6,000 for a clean, balanced power from these high-end conditioning equipments to get these results.

That is why I am now open to anything that might, at least clean somewhat the not-so-clean-and-stable power that comes out of my wall outlet. If what will do it -on the cheap- are ferrite clamps or a noise filtering powerbar, then they are welcome. If a power cord that does more justice to my player's inner circuits will help, if only by not introducing another 'problem' in the line then I will take it into consideration.

After I saw/heard the difference that turning off a circuit in my low cost player has done to HiRez sound I am more open to studying how power is handled in it and in its surroundings to see if it can be improved.

2. Carmantom

Carmantom Primo Audioholic

3. prem

prem Forum Resident

Absolutes are neutral

I think the review on Absolutes is fair. I had JPS in my system which got replaced with the Absolutes. The Absolutes add nothing to the sound. I preferred them to even the Anacondas which cost $2000. But as Mark says they could sound lifeless on certain systems.
    In my earlier system where i had the Rowlands, the JPS cords were very good but when i shifted to the JC1s, theAbsolutes were better. IMO, the Absolutes let u hear the system as it is. None of the other power cables which included JPS, Shunyata and Kimber did that. The other power cables seemed to have a kind of a House Sound. Thus with the Absolutes, it could be a hit or a miss. IMO, the rule with Absolutes is "The better the system, the better it sounds."

Again with the Absolutes, it works better if the whole system is powered with it.

4. GregM

GregM The expanding man

My current favorite (although I have CPCC and PS Audio cords elsewhere in my system)...is the Electra Glide Ultra Kahn II statement. I'm using one on my VAC amp and the other on my SCD-1.

5. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

I think you're right Steve. I've never heard a difference at all.

tim

6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I used to think that the 240v system in the UK and Australia would minimize power cord effects in those countries compared to the obvious effect they have in the USA on 110v. However, Roy Gregory of HiFi+ assures us in his journal that the effect is obvious in the UK too.

I have all TG Audio power cords: SLVRs on the BAT and SACD player, and predecessors to the 688s on the SETs.

(PS. Bob's a very nice guy)

7. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

I have mentioned this before in other threads on this subject. I am a huge believer (if I trust my ears) in power regeneration. I think a power regeneration unit is the single most important non-essential item you can have in your system. If you start with good clean power from a re-gen unit then all the power cords have to do is not screw it up. This means heavy enough gauge to no constrict the current, shielded enough to stop EMI and clean contacts so you do not get contact degradation. If you use a power re-gen unit I think you will find that the power cords make much less difference. I spent big buck on a power regeneration unit and much less on power cords. :agree:

8. PakProtector

PakProtector New Member

I was mostly kidding, in a Princess Bride sort of way. I have heard from a lot of folks whose ears I trust that say power cords make a difference. I am fairly sure that it could actually be happening. When I have gotten in on single-blind tasting/testing, done with speed and care and repeatedly, the results are easy to plot in black and white( or what ever Mr.Gates feels happy with ). They are quite equivocal, and with reasonable analysis, barely if any above the experimental noise.

I would of course be interested in any measureable quantity which can be ascribed to a good cable or bad. I must admit that the cable sales claims and language looks like that of nutritional supplements marketed under a pyramid scheme.

I am actually waiting for the power cord that can cure cancer :angel:
    cheers,
    Douglas

9. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

NEVER , ever believe a HIFI reviewer - especially RG, there are worse but......

I've got Music Works 6 block and 6 cords and a very flash Cawsey conditioner.
    I noticed no difference at all (they were free btw) - If you speak to electrical engineers they say the only way to improve your power supply is to live nearer the power station.

Of course my experience only deals with 230v (we down graded to match Europe, they went from 220 to 230 and we went from 240 to 230)

Tim

10. fyrfytrhoges

fyrfytrhoges New Member

spot on about the virtual dynamics mark! i found it had great synergy with my system. if only i could use the damn thing in my audio room (no room for the bending of that piece of firehose atm) id be a happy boy.

too bad signal cable didnt make the list as well, i really like the signal cable digital cord which i use with my rega planet 2000 cdp. cheap and well made to boot.

11. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I was skeptical as well until I got Cardas Golden Reference. It had the same effect of quieting background noise that my Monster HTS-5000 power line conditioner had.

I'm a believer now.

12. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to complain about the deal or the chords themselves, both were and are exceptional. It was just the wording in the review I guess.

13. Metralla

OK, but ...

Opinions - we all have opinions.

Well, that would certainly help.

14. Metralla

Try it for yourself - that's the only way to know. The rest is just wanking.

15. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi Tim,

I spoke to one once and he told me to never ever buy a tube amp or preamp. I haven't asked him for any audio advice since. :)

Take care,
    Jeffrey

16. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

I dont think I have the most sophisticated gear and setup, but I dont hear any real background noise...even at low volumes,,I never say to myself,,,geez, its not black enough in the background.

If i have to stick my ear 1 inch off the speaker to hear it, why bother.

17. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

:righton: :righton: :righton: :righton: :righton:

Seriously folks, please look into power regeneration, it is like living next to the power plant with none of the side effects. :D Yes, it is a little expensive, but worth every penny.

18. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

I concur. :)

19. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

This guy used to build power stations - so i trust him about power and electricity, I wouldn't ask him about amps ? why would you ? I also wouldn't ask a grocer to fix my car.

As I said before I have tried it, done blind tests, can't hear any difference, I know people who's knowledge of audio I do respect, who use Valhalla and a Thor, and swear by it.

So I'm not saying you DON'T hear a difference, I'm saying that I don't .

be cool

Tim

20. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

After reading this interesting thread, I was wondering if anyone here at SH builds there own power cords and interconnects. About two years ago, I started to do just that. I'm at the point where I can listen to a piece of equipment, then build the wires to achieve the sound I want. Why did I go this route? Well, quite frankly, I wore out my welcome at the Cable Company. Could not find what I was looking for in a pre-fab product. Huge amount of frustration and aggravation in the normal trial and error process. Also, am fortunate to have a reviewer friend that loans me much of the latest cables to try out. So, I made it my business to identify the materials that these commercial cables are constructed of. With all the DIY supplies available today and the bargains on A-gon, I built up an inventory of supplies. Much of the wire I use comes from dismantling high-end interconnects for the wire inside. Bulk wire I have bought includes "high 9's" solid core silver, OCC mono crystal stranded copper, OFC copper both standed and solid core , various solid and stranded alloys. Preferred dielectrics are either PE or Teflon. Although I will use PVC to add a flavor.

My efforts have me mainly building cables that use a combination of different types of wires. For example, many of my power cords include both stranded and solid core wires. Interconnects terminated with RCA's may include a higher conductive wire for the return.

*A note on DIY power cords. No of course mine are not UL Listed. Most high-end cords are not either.

Curiously, I don't build speaker cables. Too labor intensive and I'm happy with what I have now.

Be interesting to see if anyone else here is into DIY cables to my extent.

21. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Reb, any experiences you might like to share on what solutions/combinations (simple and not) you have found to work and not? Thanks in advance for your reply.

22. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi Tim,

I don't think asking an EE about amps is as foolish as you imply. After all, many (if not, most) EE design circuitry!

Take care,
    Jeffrey

23. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Hi,

Actually, my intent is to share all that I have learned with this forum. I'd like to do it just once in a FAQ (reference) post. To save time.....etc. Let's see how many others interested in DIY chime in .

24. JRH

JRH Forum Resident

Tek Line Eclipse. Is there a replacement model?

looking on the Tek Line web site, I did not see the Eclipse. Did they replace it with another model or change the name?

25. markl

markl Senior Member Thread Starter

JRH, as I mentioned, it's so new it's not up there yet. They are auctioned on audiogon:
    http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?cablpowr&1130205345

I wouldn't pay more than $80 for it via auction, they were being sold direct from Tek Line on audiogon (introductory price) for $60 just a couple months ago. Very nice cord for the price. (You may even want to just e-mail them and ask them what the real street price is nowadays, list is $149.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.