Power Cord Shoot-Out: 16 Power Cords Reviewed

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by markl, May 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sput

Sput Boilerphile In Memoriam

What a wonderful, helpful thread. I, for one, really appreciate stuff like this. :righton: :righton: :righton: :righton: :righton:

2. art

art Senior Member

As do I.

3. discs4sale

discs4sale New Member

Mark,
    I'll be on vacation until mid-July, but the cables should be waiting at the post office for pick up when I return and I'll post my thoughts soon afterwards.

4. awe-d-o-file

awe-d-o-file New Member

Thanks for the great detail and time you took. Try a Richard Gray when you feel up to it. I'd love to hear your thoughts as compared to the Black Sand. In my setup, which is nice gear, it had the best HF and image/soundstage by far. Nice low end too.

ET

5. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

I just received my Black Sand White Light VI power cable and put it on my Linn Ikemi CD player which is the component, along with my tube preamp, whose performance was most improved by the installation of my previous PC, an Audioquest NRG..

WOW, Mark's synopsisi is right on for this cable (ala the more expensive Violet). Many veils lifted, music sounds more real - the best CDs sound bette, the lesser ones are revealed warts and all.

A great $200 investment - recommended.

6. Lava Man

Lava Man New Member

I noticed you did not have a power cord from Evidence Audio. Tony makes an excellent one witha fairly unique design. Are you aware of this cable? Cardas Audio makes a whole series of power cables that are excellent also.

7. markl

markl Senior Member Thread Starter

Cool, glad it worked for you, Randy W. I suspect the White Light and the Violet as all-copper cords have more in common sonically than either would have with the Silver. If you detect a bit of "extra" top-end with the White Light, be assured that is temporary and will disappear with break-in. It takes close to 150 hours to settle, but you don't have to be playing music, just leave your equipment on 24/7. (That said, at the risk of further taunts of "quakery", IME, it helps to periodically turn the component off for an hour or so, then turn it back on. I believe this enhances and speeds up the burn in process, YMMV.)

Thanks all for the nice words, and additional recommendations, but after 5 years of constant searching as detailed here in this thread, I feel I am finally at an end (or at least a real hiatus) from power cord experimentation. As you know, it's such a relief to find any audio component that doesn't leave you with that little tiny nagging voice in the back of your mind that says "gee, if only it had a little more of X, or a little more of Y".

Now it's back to just listening to and enjoying, wait, what's it called? Oh yeah, "music". :righton:

8. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Thanks Mark - I do hear just a trace of hardness on the White Light VI, but the dynamics and details are intoxicating (at least on the well-mastered CDs). I did end up ordering a Silver Reference off Audiogon as well for comparison (whichever I like least will end up on another component). Will post my findings after they are both fully burned in. No doubt, these are great power chords - if you have a revealing system and no power conditioner the improvemnet is dramatic! :)

9. rlmacklin

rlmacklin New Member

I highly recommend the Black Sand Cable Violet Z1 power cords -

I currently have two 6-footers on Denon DVD-3910 source and Modwright SWL 9.0SE (w/ Bendix 6900 tubes) linestage since I received them 6/21.
    They were still improving at nearing a week after installation (smoothing out an initial slight brightness/hardness in the highs, towards pure musicality).

The sonics have been stable over last several days so I believe they are essentially fully burned in at this point.
    I am currently using Grover UR-7 ICs from Denon to Modwright and from Modwright to Odyssey Stratos HT-3 power amp (w/capacitance upgrades).
    [As Grover UR-8s are now available, I have some of those on order via "upgrade.]

Results:

amazing detail retrieval :righton: from CDs/SACDs/DVDs ,
    “holographic” imaging,
    large 3-D soundstage,
    "black hole" background,
    superb dynamics and dynamic range,
    superb frequency extension and balance.

These power cords are neutral and musical.

I e-mailed to John of Black Sand Cable:

a) that I might be tempted to call them "Ultra-Violets" - as the musical performance is stunning and even "ultra-real" in that it seems more of the music/musical information on the CDs, etc. is finally presented, or

b) maybe he should rename them "Black Holes" - for the "background" noise floor seems to have been "sucked into oblivion."
    [I used to hear some sort of occasional low-level noise from my right front speaker (Polk SDA-1), probably from the right channel Bendix 6900 tube in my Modwright linestage, but this seems to have "disappeared" (in that it is below audible levels now).] and

c) I ordered a 12-foot Violet Z1 for my Odyssey Stratos HT-3 power amp...

10. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

Compared to what? Stock? What you had before?
    Frankly spreaking, the attributes described apply to every and any upgrade and have become perfectly meaningless. An increase in "superb dynamics and dynamic range" by how much? 2%, 20%, 200%?
    I like my fancy wires also but the magnitude of their influence is...lets say usually less than advertised or described. Depends on my mood. ;) :shh: :)

11. markl

markl Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks rlmacklin for your comments. I obviously heartily agree 100% with your observations. Have we not yet achieved a quorum as to whether John should keep this cord in his line? Methinks the answer be a resounding "yes". :cool:

If not yet convinced, here's some other comments from Head-Fi, this from yo2tup2:
    But better still are the comments from JonL, one of the dudes who first encouraged me to give the Black Sand cords a go (after he'd read positive things about the Silver elsewhere), and who himself was subsequently pleased with but ultimately had to reject the Black Sand Silver cord (just as I was; it's a very refined cable, but missing much of the Violet's awesomeness). After his rejecting the Silver, I twisted his arm to try the Violet, and surprisingly he did. Here are his two comments so far, separated in time by burn in (focus on the second quote)...

Gots to agree with John (who's apparently made many home-brewed cords of his own), get this cable now. It's ultra-cheap (as these things go), and performs at a level well beyond its price tag.

12. rlmacklin

rlmacklin New Member

Violet Z1 replaced an Element Cable Red Storm on Denon DVD-3910.

Violet Z1 replaced an Element Cable ElementCord on Modwright linestage.

I heard previously unheard details, instrument lines, ambience cues, etc. on every CD/SACD/DVD I have played so far with Violets installed. The level of difference is usually greater than "subtle," and perhaps "significant" is appropriate here.
    It is hard to "quantify" the degree of improvement, but I would say it is well above 2% more detail, possibly 20% in my opinion on some, but not 200%...
    Some CDs exhibit greater increase than others -
    for instance, Sufjan Stevens "Illinoise" didn't seem to show as much previously unheard as did Andrew Bird's "The Mysterious Production of Eggs" and Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells" (SACD)

"Definition" of instrument tone and timbre with complex classical symphonic or smaller "chamber" ensembles, acoustic folk, jazz, rock - all sound to my ears significantly closer to live performance, as do all vocals (male and female), with the Violets.

To my ears these power cords are a very "special" product/value.

My ears are happier.
    I voted for more Violets with my wallet. :righton:

13. Dreadnought

They may well be. I'm overdue to try that benchmark the Cardas Golden Reference power cord which would be compared to my Nordost Vishnu. I'd be happy to throw a Violet in there against those two.

Despite having pricey cables 'n cords and enjoying their subtle influence, I'm not really an adherent of them and don't care much for things that completely defy the laws of physics. It's good to try to know what a power cord might be able to do, such as lower noise in the line, and what it is utterly incapable of doing, such as remastering bad CDs but leaving good CDs alone. But those observations in a cable thread are about as welcome as a Federal accountant at an Enron office party. :D

14. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

I have had a chance to compare the White Light VI and Silver Reference Black Sand power cords on my Cd player after about 20 hours of burn in. The Silver Refernce is slightly less vibrant than the White Light cable but IMO is more musical. Highs are slightly muted compared the White Light but more connected to the rest of the mix, and all instruments are just as well deliniated with inky black backgrounds. The Bass is lower but not quite as tight. The overall impact and dynamics are less analytical and more engaging - more PRAT. This is a very common quandry I have come across in high end audio - comparing a more detailed product that is compelling in its immediacy against one that is more lush but one you can listen to for hours tapping your feet or nodding your head the whole time. I also found myself turning up the volume with Silver Reference to hear deeper into the mix without any ill effects. I am also finding "poorly mastered " CDs sound better with the Silver Reference.

Maybe the Violet combines the best of both worlds..

15. rlmacklin

rlmacklin New Member

Mike,

Yes, do throw in a Violet into the mix for your planned comparison of Cardas Golden Reference and Nordost Vishnu. Having one in hand is best basis for comment thereon!

I have only commented on the Violets after having two in place and burned-in in my system.
    I do not think the Violet can "improve" badly mastered recordings and I don't think a power cord/component can go towards the sound of the "live performance" beyond what the recording/mastering/mixing has captured of that.

If I left a wrong impression, let me clarify.
    I find the Violet highly "revealing" - I don't think it or any power cord can "add" any musical information beyond what the recording/mastering/mixing has captured of that.
    The Violet sounds as if it simply allows the component it is powering to pass along more of the musical information available from the recording or the prior component in the chain. If I had to try to venture an explanation, I think the Violet is providing a component with cleaner, lower noise floor, perhaps more coherent power.

I got the third Violet into my system on my power amp Monday evening and listened to a lot of 2-channel music yesterday and some at lunch today and found I like my 2-channel system sonics even better with Violet power cords on the source, preamp, and power amp.

I will comment more after making sure the 12-foot Violet is all the way burned-in - seemed to take about 150 hours or so on the 6-footers.

I think putting a Violet on source/player is probably the biggest gain to system sonics, so that more of the musical information gets on to following components. Probably next greatest impact is on preamp, then on power amp from my experience with them in my system so far. :righton:

16. Dreadnought

Sorry rlmacklin, I wasn't clear with my comments as it isn't you or anyone in this thread that I am hauling before the dept of accuracy of reportage. :)
    That criticism of mine would be from readings in multiple locations over time.

17. rlmacklin

rlmacklin New Member

Mike,

Thanks for your clarification.

I hope you will try one or more Violets.
    I hope you enjoy the music with them as much as I do.

When you have tried the Violet, please post your comments here,
    separately or in conjunction with your comparison of Nordost Vishnu
    and Cardas Golden Reference.

18. Dreadnought

Well I didn't get a violet or golden reference, nor do intend to, but I did get a bunch of Volex 17604 cords. Replacing three Nordost Vishnu with the Volex and I got, to quote rlmacklin:

"Results:

amazing detail retrieval :righton: from CDs/SACDs/DVDs ,
    “holographic” imaging,
    large 3-D soundstage,
    "black hole" background,
    superb dynamics and dynamic range,
    superb frequency extension and balance.

These power cords are neutral and musical."

Are these improvements real or just in my head? I'd say just in my head. I'm now fairly certain that there isn't a darn bit of difference in sound between power cords. It is ironic that a thread about the differences between power cords has led me to the opposite conclusion. I'll keep the Volex ($14 CAD) and sell the Vishnu ($650 USD). :thumbsup:

19. guitarguy

guitarguy Tone Meister

Tony - absolutely correct. It has always been my contention that the improvement noted with power cables is the correction for current starvation and voltage drop. Now add that current draw, especially on a power amp, is not constant but is actually changing with musical transients, output volume, low frequency demands, etc., and quality cabling of the proper gauge and length should have an effect - to a point. If an amp demands more current than is available then that can cause a temporary voltage drop (or sag). This is especially true in tube amp circuits. In fact - this is particularly sought after in some guitar amps that use fairly loose tube rectifiers vs "stiffer" solid state rectifiers that recover faster.

I would think that any legit cable manufacturer (and review of such) would actually cite specs like capacitance per foot and would offer measurable claims such as voltage drop, recovery time, etc. These are pretty easy things to measure with the right tools and would probably offer fairly correlatable improvements in sound quality with particular gear.

However I will also add that since ALL components in the power cable chain can have an effect that any power cable between the wall outlet and the power inlet on on the equipment can theoretically offer no better performance than the 12 or 14ga solid copper in the wall that runs from the fuse box - a chain is only as good as its weakest link - and this is true in power. So - if you want the ultimate in power delivery then it would seem that getting an electrician to hardwire your gear directly into the wall with solid copper that matches what is in your homes wiring would be the solution. Any one done this?

20. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Tony and Guitarguy, what is the effect of RF (i.e.: shielding) in all of this?

21. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Here's three more for you to try:

DH Labs Power Plus: 180 bucks
    Running Springs Mongoose: 600 bucks
    Essential Sound Products: The Essence "Reference" 750 bucks

The DH cord is one of the best Ive heard period, but the other two are a touch
    better. Depends on your budget. Lots of good combinations.

22. portisphish

portisphish Forum Resident

23. Dreadnought

One only sounds better than the other during sighted listens. Try identifying them by ear alone and the reality hits home. :)

You need to buy 6 for the discount. I nearly bought from there but the web site was acting a bit wacky and I double checked users' opinion, learning there was a fair amount of complaint about high shipping charges. Charges not shown during the transaction. So I decided to order from a nearby outfit.

24. digital

digital New Member

If anyone ever needs any generic Belden / Volex / etc., power cables, I have hundreds that anyone can have, free for the asking - just pay for shipping (less than five bucks anywhere in North America).

If anyone wants one or more, just ask - free, free, free!

By the way - here is an example of how a properly organized power cable audition works:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4/feature-article-blind-test-power-cords-12-2004.html

Andrew D.
    cdnav.com

25. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

By the way - here is an example of how a properly organized power cable audition works:

Actually, reading the methodology revealed a problem; If they were switching power cords to make the change be physically unplugging and plugging in new cords, it will be much harder to hear any difference, because the minute you bend the cables around to plug and unplug, they need a few hours at least to break in again, as the molecular structure has been upset. This is why when you go to a show like RMAF, Stereophile or CES a lot of stuff sounds worse on day one than day three or four and why the vendors let everything play all day and all night.

I know when we have tried to compare cables directly, we try to keep everything similar and just get two of the same components (still can be variations due to production samples) to compare so you can just switch inputs on the preamp.

The cable thing is very hard to quantify, because even the best cables make a small to medium(at best) difference. However, the more information your system will resolve, the more chance you have of hearing a difference.

It's always a tough call!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.