Power (Starz)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Brenald79, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I can’t be the only one watching this hit show on the Starz Network. The 6th and final season is currently airing and I think it’s better than ever. For fans of The Wire, Sopranos, The Shield.

ando here likes this.
  2. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

I've seen the trailer several times, but I haven't watched it yet.

3. Brenald79

The trailer makes it look a more generic than it actually is.

4. Brenald79

Mid season finale real cliffhanger! The last 5 episodes ever for this show begin January.

5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I’ll check it oot. If it doesn’t grab me, you’re in the crosshairs;)

6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Okay, I have to be honest with my brother, @Brenald79. I watched the first episode of the first season and was very 'meh' with it. The acting seemed almost amateur like and the production value of the sets was pretty cheap looking. It seemed like a gangster version of Empire or something.

There is definitely something to most Starz series where, often, the idea is intriguing, but the production and acting falls short. Unfortunately, Power seems to fall into this category. I mean does it get better? Not just the story lines, but the acting? Sets?

7. Brenald79

It gets a lot better throughout the season and S1 is the shows lowest rated on IMDB. Out of curiosity I just glanced at the IMDB ratings for Power and S1 is its lowest rated and its first few episodes were S1’s lowest rated. I’d agree with those ratings. Then I compared it to Ray Donovan and Animal Kingdom, the 2 series I most compare it to. Season 2 and beyond of Power have similar and often higher episode to episode ratings than those 2 shows. I’d agree with these ratings as well. From S2 and beyond of Power it’s just as good and often better than those 2 shows. It’s worth sticking with until S2 when it elevates to RD/AK level quality.

The sets probably improved. I can’t remember noticing. The acting improves a lot, not as good as Ray Donovan but good enough for me to still enjoy.

GodShifter likes this.
  8. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

Watching this now. It's super cheesy, but fun.

Brenald79 likes this.
  9. Brenald79

The Final Episodes just started after the winter break. Hella crazy start to the year!

10. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

I've been watching since Season 1.

It has had a lot of really terrible writing, but a lot of excellent moments as well. The most recent episode actually had me on the edge of my seat.

Brenald79 likes this.
  11. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

Just learned of this show over the holidays. We're at the season finale of season 4, and totally hooked. Watching 2 episodes a night these days.

lc1995 and Brenald79 like this.
  12. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

I wish we could discuss the current episodes, but that would require a lot of spoiler tags

Brenald79 likes this.
  13. Brenald79

This show has some of the most cold blooded characters. Tommy, Kanan, Ghost.

14. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

I'm on season 2 now but will check back when I get to the end. Not wanting to risk spoilers.

Favorite characters so far are Tommy and Tasha, and 50 Cent is perfect in his role.

Ghost and Angela drive me insane.

15. Brenald79

Only 3 more episodes to go. I saw a commercial for 50 Cent’s new show For Life on ABC next month. Looks promising.

lc1995 likes this.
  16. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

I wasn't a fan of the last episode, but I'm looking forward to this one

17. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Took a gander at an episode from Season 1 once. Found the dialogue trite. Can you start at Season 6 and not be lost? I'll give ep. 1 a go tonight.

18. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

No, you absolutely have to watch it from the beginning

seacliffe301 likes this.
  19. Brenald79

Yes I think you would be fine. I just checked and they do good 3 min recap of Season 5.

20. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

:D Ok... Thanks. Think I'll start with the beginning of Seas. 6.

Brenald79 likes this.
  21. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

I strongly advise you to not do it
    It's not the Simpsons or Family Guy, it's a show that requires watching in order to understand everything

ando here likes this.
  22. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Well, I wouldn't watch either of those but I was thinking Power was like The Sopranos or Mad Men, where the best episodes required no familiarity with the character's histories for enjoyment (imo). But advice taken. Thanks.

23. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

I never saw Mad Men, but I strongly disasgree about the Sopranos.

That being said, the first 2 seasons had my favorite Sopranos episodes.

Think about it like this, though: If you were to start Power late (don't), you would either like it and wish you had started from the beginning, or will you not like it and it wouldn't be any more satisfying than starting from the beginning.

There are just too many major plot points in Season 6 (being that it's the last season) for me to recommend anyone start there.

ando here likes this.
  24. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

If you never watched The Sopranos but watched the Pine Barrens episode cold turkey it would be just as entertaining. :)

25. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

50 Cent is a pretty great villain. I'm on season 3 and he just suffocated an old woman with a "Jesus Saves" pillow to use her apartment.

[​IMG]

Brenald79 likes this.