Powerhouse AM Top 40 Station: KRLA - Los Angeles [Now with vintage KRLA surveys!]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob Lovely, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

There was this one dj that did some sort of weekly special, probably Sunday night, and he would play extended remixes, one of which was called "One Monkey Don't Stop No Show". Used to tape parts of that show. Tapes gone now though. And KRLA is the only station that played October Country. KHJ never played it.

2. bob g.

bob g. Senior Member

A sigh for Cy, I remember her voice stirring my imagination more than any famous torch singer of the day. Later on, on KPPC there was Mary "Tacos" Turner doing the same. :sigh:

"Coastal Home Companions"

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I'm glad someone else remembers Cy Holiday. She was quite unique for the time.

I worked with "The Burner" Mary Turner at KMET in 1976 while still in school. I used to walk her to her car when the shift was over. She had two white Russian Wolfhounds with her. I can't tell you how much of a crush I had on her. She really rocked! What a great jock...

4. bob g.

bob g. Senior Member

I remember Mary introducing one or two concert acts at the Forum. Far enough away that I still had to use "Just My Imagination"! :angel:

Seriously, don't Garrison Keillor and Sue Scott remind you a little of the Emperor and Cy?
    That is if you listen to PHC?

Two days a week throughout Junior High, 62-65, I delivered newspapers starting at 3am. You would hear many more UK album cuts on KRLA at that hour not just 45s. As I recall Dick Biondi did some graveyard time but someone else did earlier on.

5. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam Thread Starter

Vintage 1961 KRLA survey courtesy of member Charlie990. I expect Steve to know all of these...

Bob :)

Attached Files:

6. Bob Lovely

Here's one from 1965...

Attached Files:

7. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Great thread, Bob!:wave: Good morning!

I'm a sucker for old, local charts....the most interesting record on that last one you posted was the Bobby Sherman Decca 45....Bubbled Under in Billboard for a few weeks, classic regional hit.....those are the little prize pieces in any collector's 45 stash, the hits that never quite became hits, except to those living in the area where they did see some serious action.

:ed:

8. Bob Lovely

You are welcome Ed! So many "hits" were regional in those years. I admit to liking many of these regional finds...many should have been bigger than they were!

Bob :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.