Practically FREE vintage color TV and stereo

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Mar 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Attached Files:

Dude111 likes this.
  2. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Steve,

While growing up, my neighbors had a unit very similiar to this unit - nice boomy bass. We used to play 45's on the unit and dance with the girls in the neighborhood....

Say, Dan C. lives in Wyoming!

Thanks for posting this...

Bob:)

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Looks nice, but you gotta pick it up yourself?:confused:

Hey Steve, you're closer to Wyoming than I am. Another to add to the ol' collection...:D

And look at that low starting bid.

ED:cool:

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I've been there but it's a very, very loooong way..... :sigh:

Nice set, though!

5. Steve Hoffman

You don't have to pick it up yourself, just hire Freighters And Craters to go get it.

6. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I can't imagine how a letterboxed picture would look on that round picture tube :laugh:

7. Ed Bishop

That's Craters And Freighters(tonight's attempt-at-getting-Gorted nitpick:D) , and I can't imagine what they'd charge to ship that puppy all the way here. But it's a fine looking machine, not unlike one(echoing Bob)my parents once owned. Built to last, that's for sure!

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Wow! Looks just like the one we had when I was a kid! Only the grills were black and darker wood with a more ornate design.

9. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Go for it Steve.

Cheyanne isn't THAT far away is it?

10. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

My folks have a pair of Magnavox consoles. We need to go over and clean out the house in a few weeks. I don't know anyone who even buys these things anymore. Don't want to just throw them at the curb either. If any of you retro-aficionados were closer, I'd just say to come and pick them up. No TVs in them though...just turntable and radio. Turntable's screwed up in the newer one, but back in the day, there were surplus BSR changer units that were a drop-in replacement. I regret not getting one.

11. Steve Hoffman

Ed, it's NOT a nitpick to correct bad information. Yes, Craters And Freighters. Thanks. :)

12. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Hope someone in the area can nab this pretty little beauty!!

Me-- I've got my hands full with Betty... I'm afraid she didn't wake up very smoothly when I flipped the switch after trying to give her a soft-start for a couple of hours... heard an audible *POP* a couple of seconds after I turned on the power switch (even before she had a chance to warm up and get picture and sound)... so I switched her off and figured I'd ask for help before I proceeded to the next step!

I'm sure she'll be fine, though-- probably just an aged capacitor giving up the ghost, or something of that nature...

-Kevin

13. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

And here's the console in a little more life-like shade of color...

Even from this (bad) angle the color response on the CRT looks pretty good!!

-Kevin

Attached Files:

Dude111 likes this.
  14. Will they ship to Canada? And what's that gonna cost me? Then there's old Canada Customs...

15. Ed Bishop

It's NOT?!?:confused: :shake: :cry:

Aw, hell...I'm just going to have to try harder next time:angel: :)

16. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Hey, ED, you gave it that old college try....! :D

Looks just like my grandparents' unit(the one my grandmother used to play Jim Nabors records on!). Would imagine it would be almost impossible to hook a DVD player up to that puppy.....

17. Steve Hoffman

But you could hook up a CD player, hell an SACD player, by using the AUX IN on the back of the console.

It's still selling for ONE CENT! This could be a great retro sounding stereo system with an authentic RCA-Victor 21" round tube color tv, made when John Kennedy was in the White House.

It's 1 cent!

18. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Wow, very cool stereo/TV component system!! I believe manufactured at RCA's famous Camden, NJ factory? Kind of reminds me of my grandparents Curtis Mathes home entertainment system. Even bigger and heavier than the RCA if you can believe that. Lasted a really long time. Nearly 30 years before it went kaput!!!

19. RDK

RDK Active Member

Hey Steve, what's a set like this "worth?" I see stuff like this from time to time at swap meets or thrift stores, though they're usually not working.

I'm still kicking myself for passing on a really sweet ol' TV (a Packard Bell I think it was) that had a wired remote control unit. Looked to be in great shape except for the fact that it didn't work. Wasn't too expensive, but I was too worried that, broken, it would just be an overpriced doorstop.

Ray

20. Steve Hoffman

The stuff can be fixed. If you see something neat, take it.

In 10 years, watch out. This stuff will be worth dough!

This unit for example (the subject of this thread); it might need a little retouching of the finish, but I bet the electronics still work great in the stereo section and the TV picture looks fine.

Heck, just the 30 or so tubes alone in the back, plus the flyback, etc. are worth over a hundred bucks just in parts....

Sigh.

21. RDK

RDK Active Member

Not quite as vintage, but I do have one of these at home...

Attached Files:

• i-1.jpg
      i-1.jpg
      File size:
      11.3 KB
      Views:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.