Praise for the AT-VM95ML

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AH55, Mar 10, 2020.

1. AH55

AH55 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Firstly, I am in no way associated with Audio-Technica, nor do I often give product reviews. However, I felt the need to post for any individuals that might be seeking the below review. Also, apologies for the length; however, I know that for those new(ish) to vinyl (like me), it's the information below that is needed.

So, long story short, up until a couple of weeks ago I was seriously considering giving up my vinyl hobby.

I upgraded to at ATLP120x over the holidays from an ATLP60. I realize the 120 is by no means a "high-end" turntable, but for my needs (and system) at the moment, the 120 is a superb option. What has been so worthwhile with the 120 is that it has given me the opportunity to really discover what goes into the hobby of vinyl collection and turntable setup. Whereas the LP60 is pretty much setup as you take it out of the box, the 120 requires users to balance the tonearm, set tracking, etc. and, if the user wishes, to replace and align cartridges/styli. The stylus that comes with the system is the 95E (elliptical stylus). It is fine for what it is. However, I now know that this stylus (and most elliptical) are not necessarily the best for eliminating the two biggest downsides (in my opinion ) of playing vinyl records: pops/clicks and the dreaded inner groove distortion/sibilance, the reason I almost left vinyl behind.

I should mention that even when I had the LP60, and to this day, I take very good care of my records. I have just finally established a productive record cleaning routine, store my records well, clean my stylus, take excellent care of the turntable, etc. So, record care and treatment have never been an issue with me. The reason I take good care of my records should be obvious: (a) they can be expensive, and (b) the sound of vinyl is superb...organic, authentic, and so, so pleasing to the ear. However, with all of the measures I take to ensure quality playback, I have never been able to get past the abundance of pops/clicks that come with many records and, to an even greater degree, the inner groove distortion and sibilance that occurs with almost every record. Since getting the 120 and researching all that is needed to set up a turntable correctly, my ears have become even more sensitive to the negatives of vinyl. While the 95E is capable of producing some superb sound (especially for the cost), I discovered that there are just simply limitations to elliptical styli; they are not capable of reading inner grooves accurately and tend to be useless in avoiding harsh sibilance and distortion (even when listening to the Ortofon 2m Red, these negative qualities are still audible). So, as a last attempt to enjoy my hobby (and after much research, including some posts here on the forums), I decided to invest in a non-elliptical stylus and chose the AT-VM95ML, a micro-linear shape with nude stylus construction. While the stylus was on sale (I only needed the stylus replacement as the 95 series all use the same cartridge, which I had from buying the 120), it was still expensive. I never thought I would spend as much as I did on a stylus; however, it has made all the difference.

A few notes...

Sound: Wow. As I have listened to records with this stylus, I am amazed by the sound quality. Low, medium, and high frequencies are all clear and each record plays with such a sense of space and balance. Albums I thought I knew are now being presented with sounds that I had never really heard before or appreciated. Compared to any other stylus I have used, there is no comparison. I like how the 95ML is able to mix "digital clarity" with the space of analogue...not sure how to describe it really, but there is both a sense of technical accuracy and warmth. I could go on, but just know that this stylus will give you a sound that is superb. It may not be as "audiophile" when compared to styli in the $300.00+ range, but on my system (which is modest) is does wonders...clear from the first play and even more as I spend the time really "listening" to my albums.

Pops/clicks: This stylus does not minimize all surface noise. There are several records where I can still hear pops/clicks (even after cleaning and storing in anti-static sleeves). However, the amount of audible noise has lowered substantially...to the point where records that were once littered with noise (notably new records that clearly lacked quality control in their pressing/production) are now very pleasant to listen to. Used records that would once be unlistenable on the LP60 and with an 95E on the 120 are now enjoyable. I have come to the conclusion that completely silent records are rare; we all spend so much time trying to limit surface noise but, in reality, so much of the noise we might hear is beyond our control - whatever happens at the pressing plant is out of our hands (and, based on how some new records sound, it seems that many new vinyl releases literally fell out of the hands of those making them right onto dirty and dusty floors). But...the 95ML does what a great micro-linear stylus should which is to limit much of the noise or, at the very least, bury it to the point that it is not distracting. So while pops/clicks will always be there to some degree (and perhaps one day I will obtain a high-priced vinyl vacuum cleaning machine to limit them even more), the 95ML takes on surface noise with delicacy and allows the listener to really hear the music.

Inner groove distortion/sibilance: Ok. This was the deal breaker. I could just not get over the inner groove distortion and sibilance that happened on every record with the 95E. Try as I might, it just made any enjoyment that can be generated from vinyl impossible. This was the element that made me almost leave vinyl altogether; it just got to the point where I could not justify spending so much money and time on records that only sounded good up until about half-way on each side. When I first attached the 95ML to the cartridge, I immediately tested some tracks that had previously caused much grief (I went right to the source of my frustration...no gradual introduction to this stylus). The tracks I chose were: Paul Simon's "Armistice Day" from the Paul Simon album (original US pressing, bought used - VG+) and R.E.M.'s "Perfect Circle" from the Murmur album (original US pressing, bought used - NM). I realize that used records are not the best to use as test records; however, both of these records were in decent shape. I also knew that both tracks have some inherit sibilance in the recording (Michael Stipe has quite a lot of sibilance in his vocals throughout R.E.M.'s catalogue, particularly the earlier albums) and I noticed some sibilant sound in the Simon track even when listening to the digital version. However, the sibilance was just unbearable when playing the records on the 120 with the 95E. So...I played the tracks. Problem solved. Inner groove sibilance and distortion gone. I was skeptical in my research when I would read statements like the one I just wrote. But, it's the truth. The 95ML took away the single reason why I was going to leave vinyl behind. Now, I know that inner groove distortion is inherit in the vinyl medium; however, it is true that the right stylus for your system can make this defect inaudible. So, for this reason, I will never again look to purchase an elliptical stylus. Ever.

Does this stylus make vinyl listening a noise-free experience? No. But, does it limit noise substantially? Absolutely. Does it make inner groove defects inaudible? Without a doubt. Does the sound equate to the cost? No question. This single product is what has re-ignited my vinyl hobby. I am not using hyperbole when I write that I almost left this hobby behind until the purchase of the 95ML. There will no doubt be tweaks I make to my system going forward. There are certainly better styli out there...I am interested in trying the 95SH (though this one is costly) and going beyond the AT-95 line, of course, presents so many more possibilities. Thanks to those that helped in my research on this forum. For those new to the hobby, please know just how important research is in setting up your system, and receiving a variety of perspectives/opinions. Also, know that, unfortunately, cost does equate to overall quality (in addition to accurate set-up, alignment, etc.). Good news is that going with a micro-linear stylus means using a stylus that will last a long while. As I only ever really play a few records on the weekend, I have no doubt that my 95ML will be on my turntable for quite some time.

In conclusion, this stylus is a game-changer for the new-to-vinyl or modest audiophile crowd (like me!). I hope this post helps some people here. This is a product definitely worth your attention.

2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Honestly I don't think that cartridge is all that great. I'm not huge fan of any 3.5mV MM cartridges. And the fact is that the LP120 used to be fitted with a higher output cartridge when first released. They dropped that cartridge keep the LP120 price from rising. But I really big fan of what AT has done with the VM95 series of styli. They are affordable and offers a great stepping stone to much better cartridge. I'm glad you've figured out the spending a bit more for a higher end profile tip is probably the thing most people should consider. If the cartridge doesn't track, the performance of the body will be lacking. I honestly think a higher output cartridge is needed as the LP120s included phono stage has very modest gain. I tend to think this is huge reason the Nagaoka MP-110 and Ortofon 2M Red have been suggested as great cartridges to an overwhelming claim. Not that there is anything bad about either of them. Most reviews I've read about them have been very good. But ultimately any higher output cartridge will have a higher S/N when mated with a 36dB phono stage, so better sound quality is going to be obvious.

quicksrt and AH55 like this.
  3. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Personally as someone who is not an AT fan I think they've hit it out of the park with the AT95ML and the other 95s, admittedly I've been using them on better decks, Rega, Technics and Roksan and using Gold Note and Trichord phono stages, I think I tried a built in Marantz stage as well, for me as an Ortofon user for nearly forty years the ML comfortably beats the 2M Red and Blue and even the lower end OMs and it does that with a street price around 25% less than the Blue. Yes there are arms and phono stages that may be more suited to an Ortofon or other brand, but I don't think anything close to the price touches the ML.

I know there is a lot of love for the 2M Blue and I have to admit I've only ever heard it on Pro-jects and a SL-1210 MKII so perhaps not at it's best and as I have heard the Bronze on higher end decks and rate it highly I'm willing to accept the Blue may be better than I think, but that doesn't detract from the superb performance of the AT95ML.

kt66brooklyn, Dahuky, greebls and 6 others like this.
  4. AH55

I agree that the 120x should be fitted with a higher output cartridge rather than the 95E - again, this is not a bad stylus (for the price) and sounds great until you get to those inner grooves. I can't say I was overly impressed by the 2M Red, despite the fact that it gets tremendous reviews. I just felt it suffered from some of the same inner groove defects that the 95E suffers from. But, perhaps the 2M Red works best on other systems. I am interested in trying the Nagaoka MP-110 at some point in the future as it has received a lot of acclaim.

Appreciate the feedback. All I can say is that for my current (modest) system, the AT-VM95ML works wonders and has changed my vinyl experience completely.

5. AH55

I am interested in trying the 2M Blue at some point as well and the Nagaoka MP-110. However, I do like what AT is doing with this 95 series and, so, whenever I decide to upgrade from the VM95ML I may in fact go with the 95SH...we'll see. Appreciate the feedback.

Omarstringer and Dubmart like this.
  6. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

For the poster that thinks the VM95ML is not that good they are using a $1.5k cartridge to compare the VM95ML. And, the boring sounding MP-110 does not compare. The VM95ML is an incredible performer for the dollars spent. It is perfect for medium mass tone arms. If you have a light medium mass buy the VM540ML.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  7. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Nevermind that nag mp110, just another elliptical like your AT95E or 2M red or whatever. Stick to your ML stylus ! If you like to upgrade, chose another ML cartridge.

8. IllinoisCheesehead

IllinoisCheesehead Forum Resident

Agreed. Nag is warmer sounding, but same sibilance and tracking issues as the others. The AT 95ML stylus hits the sweet spot for me. Much better tracking than elliptical, way more forgiving on setup than Shibata. I stuck one in a Clearaudio Virtuoso cart to replace a bent cantilever and it sounds wonderful.

9. AH55

Thanks for this. I guess I didn't realize the Nag mp110 was elliptical. I stated in the first post, I'm never going back to elliptical again. Thanks for the info!

10. Incamera

Incamera Well-Known Member

Yes yes yes... I know what you mean. I bought the AT95SH at Christmas and am continually impressed. Every record is better than I ever heard it. Tracking is immaculate. Detail is revelatory. I am no longer avoiding my vinyl. One of the best upgrades ever for me.

11. Floyd Crazy

Floyd Crazy Senior Member

I bought AT-VM95ML/H on recomendation on another thread just before Christmas and I was and I still am impressed with the ML.
    Used it for about 250 hrs so far and it's just amazed me how IGD on some records I thought would never play without it it's gone. Peter Gabriel So UK issue always seemed to by a problem but now it's a pleasure to play it and I had tried about 4 copies before I got the ML.
    I work in a Vintage Vinyl Store part time and I often bring home vinyl that sounds bad at work but then I play it on my
    Technics SL-Q2 turntable which is 41 years old now and I am often amazed how old records sound great with the ML.

12. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Have been debating the upgrade from the elliptical stylus to the ML. I play a lot of $1-$5 "beater" LPs, which a lot of the time have surface wear that is audible, and do often have IGD. Sometimes the elliptical doesn't cut it, so I use the conical stylus from this series which helps with the surface noise but not with IGD. Thinking maybe I could replace both of these styli with just one ML and be happy with the sound across the board from M- LPs down to the occasional G+ rarity I play. I've also got a Dual 1218 begging to be used in my setup, I bet this stylus would go great with that low mass tonearm. From what you guys have said, do you think it's worth it for me? Like I said, lots of less than perfect LPs. Most of what I own would be VG to VG+ on the goldmine scale.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  13. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If 3.5mV is a problem for you you need a different or better phono stage, or adjust the gain if you can. No problems here with a GS Reflex M.

14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If the Dual arm is lightweight, I do not recommend the VM95 series. Stick with the VM500 series, Ortofon OM Series, etc. Those carts are more compliant and will do better with a lightweight arm. For beater records, I always recommend a cheap conical or even a heavy tracking DJ conical.

15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The SH is not an upgrade. It costs more due to supplier costs, end of story.

marcfeld69, melodic chaos and AH55 like this.
  16. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

SH would be a better bet if you don't like an overly bright set up.

marcfeld69 and dcarwin like this.
  17. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Only if brightness exists in your head, and not in reality.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  18. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

19. Mmmark

Mmmark Forum Resident

Without being facetious, why not just invest in better records? If your source is garbage, no amount of upgrading will improve the sound, especially if audible issues are caused by physical defects.
    It's sort of like asking if a nice Hollandaise sauce would make a turd more palatable than just using ketchup....

20. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Well since upgrades to some of these would easily cost a few hundred each, I think I’ll stick with my current copies, but thanks

21. Mmmark

Mmmark Forum Resident

Not to derail the thread, but I'd be super curious to know what albums can be had for $1-$5 in rough shape, but are otherwise only available for 'a few hundred each'.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  22. Dmac43

Dmac43 Forum Resident

Listen to both and choose what sounds best to you...
    Nobody on this board hears what you hear and how you hear it.

Licorice pizza and AH55 like this.
  23. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Senior Member

[​IMG]

AH55 likes this.
  24. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Senior Member

Double time....

[​IMG]

You've also cemented my decision to eventually go with the 95ML (when funds allow). :agree::righton:

AH55 likes this.
  25. AH55

I can't recommend it enough if you've been in a similar situation as myself. It has absolutely changed my vinyl experience.

greebls, Floyd Crazy and GyroSE like this.