Pre emphasis list?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by andyinstal, Jul 24, 2007.

1. GabeG

GabeG New Member

The soundtrack to She's Having a Baby

2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Anthony Braxton - Six Compositions (Quartet) 1984 - Black Saint

3. For threads like this, I wish there was a small database/spreadsheet functionality being part of this forum. Sort of like the polls where you see the results at the top of the thread.

The original poster could enter the form of the table (the columns and their respective headers), and everybody could update the info, and the results would be listed in alphabetical order.

Shouldn't be brain surgery, I would think. Then again, I am not an expert on this type of forum software.

4. GP

GP Senior Member

Might as well add the Creative Sounds S/T.

Attached Files:

5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Don't all of the early japanese CBS/Sony 35DP, 35 8P and 35HD pressings have pre-emphasis?

6. Lazlo Nibble

Lazlo Nibble Forum Resident

Here's another:

The Blue Nile - Hats (1989 US; Linn/A&M CD 5284) [PROMOTIONAL stamp on label]

1989 makes this the most recent release I've found with PE set.

Solace likes this.
  7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Another one:

Mahler: Symphony 3 - Norma Procter (contralto)/London Symphony Orchestra/Jascha Horenstein - 2CD, Unicorn-Kanchana UKCD 2006/7

8. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

Some more for the list that positively have PE:

Mike Oldfield-Tubular Bells WG CDV 2001 and Japan VJD-23001

Toto-Hydra 35DP-42 Japan

Men At Work-Cargo CK 38660(U.S) and 35 8P-16(both have PE)

Bruce Springsteen-Darkness On The Edge Of Town Japan CBS For Europe DIDP matrix)

Lionel Richie-Can't Slow Down (Motown MCD 06059MD Japan for U.S. CD)

Contrary to something I read earlier, both

ELO-A New World Record-Japan 32DP 473 first mastering

and

Boston-Don't Look Back 32 8P-193 Japan

*do not* have pre-emphasis.

9. Lazlo Nibble

Lazlo Nibble Forum Resident

Mine as well. No country of origin listed on the CD but it should be UK (CDV 2001). The hub is half silver/half clear and the matrix number is █ CDV 2001 2891087 01 █. The label is blank ink with no underpaint; no bar code on the case.

10. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Most early cds had pre emphasis to enhance low level detail

FM does it too

When ripping to I-Tunes de emphasis is applied automatically.

This is very useful

Good late 80's cd players flagged PE

11. LesPaul666

Be careful with the iTunes...It doesn't always detect it. I think with these programs it detects PE in the Table Of Contents. Some have the flag in the bitstream(I think) and these go un-detected. In which in this case, you have to make a back-up of your CD with the PE flag "on" in your CDR burning software, *then iTunes will detect it*

12. LesPaul666

To my amazement, the Billy Joel-52nd Street CD Japan 35DP-1 *Does Not* have PE.

13. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Anyone know if Japanese pressings like AC/DC Back in Black or Appetite for Destruction have pre-emphasis?

14. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

This is consistent with my findings, as well. On the other hand, see Post #5.

15. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Is pre-emphasis a good thing to have?

16. esa

esa Forum Resident

I have two copies of Roger Waters' "Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking"; they both have pre-emphasis.

Dutch EMI/Harvest (CDP 7 46029 2)
    US Columbia/CBS (CK 39290)

17. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

Not anymore really. More like, it's needed anymore. The very earliest players supposedly tended to add upper frequency distortion during the digital to analog (D/A) conversion, so by reducing the upper frequencies after decoding (which is what the player did in the analog domain), any added distortion was reduced. Or something like that.

As the CD player's D/A converters got better (really quickly), the need was not there anymore. That's why CDs made after about '85 or so no longer used pre-emphasis at all. But all players that have the CD logo still should have the de-empasis circuit - although there are some (but very few) players that don't.

18. tps

tps Forum Resident

In fact, it serves the same purpose now as it always has. Pre-emphasis boosts the treble frequencies when the CD is manufactured and de-emphasis in CD players reduces the treble so the net frequency response is flat. Since most of the energy of typical musical waveforms is contained in the lower octaves, while most of the energy of random noise is contained in the upper octaves (which is why we percieve it as hiss), emphasis can lower the theoretical noise floor of the CD recording medium from 96 dB to somewhat over 100 dB. It is not often needed or used with popular music since often pop only uses a fraction of the 96 dB. (The noise floor of many of the popular recordings I've sampled in Cool Edit seems to be in the -55 dBFS - -65 dBFS range.) Emphasis is more useful with claasical, but it's often a struggle to get a quiet enough hall to get a recording with a very low noise floor, although much of that noise is often low-frequency mechanical rumble, which does not mask the hiss introduced by the recording process, making emphasis desirable.

19. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Did "The Stranger" ever come with emphasis ? I just bought a used, apparently made in Japan disk but it doesn't have it.

The disk says CMU P 117 in the clear plastic dead wax.

It has the upside down triangle on it, whatever that means.

20. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

All Black Sabbath CLACD and NELCDs have it.

They don't.

21. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Just noticed today while ripping The Velvet Underground - VU that it has PE.

22. George P

George P Notable Member

I decided to compile this list today. I tried to organize a bit, separating by genre and grouping same artists CDs together. Taken straight from this thread:

Toto IV - Original CD had pre-emphasis
    Toto-Hydra 35DP-42 Japan
    Billy Joel - 52nd St. (Japan for Japan / Japan for US)
    Billy Joel - Glass Houses (Japan for Japan / Japan for US)
    Pink Floyd-Wish You Were Here-35DP4
    The Wall CK2 and related masterings
    Genesis-Genesis(S/T) WG Target and Vertigo 800 series CD's
    Beatles - Abbey Road - EMI CP35-3016 (Black Triangle)
    Anthony Braxton - Quartet (London) 1985 - 2CD, Leo CD LR 200/201
    Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon - EMI CP35-3017 (non-TO, non-CDP)
    Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run - Columbia CK 33795 / 35DP 21
    Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town - CBS/Sony 32DP 351
    Bruce Springsteen- Darkness On The Edge Of Town Japan CBS For Europe DIDP matrix)
    Roger Waters' "Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking"
    Dutch EMI/Harvest (CDP 7 46029 2)
    US Columbia/CBS (CK 39290)[/QUOTE]
    All Black Sabbath CLACD and NELCDs have it.
    The Velvet Underground - VU
    Quarterflash - S/T, Japanese target pressing.
    New Order - Low Life, Factory Records import. I can't remember if it was French made or UK made. I'll have to check tonight.
    Klaus Schulze: Irrlicht (AVI CD)
    Vangelis: Opera Sauvage (European CD, possibly the same one still in print now)[/QUOTE]
    Paul McCartney - Pipes of Peace / CDP 7 46018 2 (Made in Japan)
    Paul McCartney - Give my Regards to Broadstreet / CDP 7 46018 2 (Made in Japan)
    Paul McCartney's Tug of War has pre-emphasis, as does my old U.S. Columbia copy of Pink Floyd's The Wall.
    - My US-issued, Japan-made Columbia Tug of War CD doesn't have PE. But the Japanese black-triangle disc definitely does.
    She's Having a Baby - OST
    Anthony Braxton - Six Compositions (Quartet) 1984 - Black Saint[/QUOTE]
    Creative Sounds S/T.[/QUOTE]
    The Blue Nile - Hats (1989 US; Linn/A&M CD 5284) [PROMOTIONAL stamp on label]
    Ultravox - Vienna / CCD 1296 (UK Chrysalis)
    Mike Oldfield-Tubular Bells WG CDV 2001 and Japan VJD-23001
    Men At Work-Cargo CK 38660(U.S) and 35 8P-16(both have PE)
    Lionel Richie - Can't Slow Down (US Motown)
    Lionel Richie-Can't Slow Down (Motown MCD 06059MD Japan for U.S. CD)
    Black Sabbath Master of Reality Castle NELCD 6004, supposedly
    Electric Light Orchestra - Discovery (Made in Austria, epic 450083 2, JET-500 11) but also the "non-TO, with CDP" pressing.

Bruno Walter/Columbia Symphony Orchestra - Bruckner: Symphony No.4 - CBS/Sony 35DC 117
    Bruno Walter/Columbia Symphony Orchestra - Bruckner: Symphony No.9 - CBS/Sony 35DC 114
    Bruno Walter/Columbia Symphony Orchestra - Brahms: Symphony No.2 - Columbia MK 42021 / 35DC 86
    Bruno Walter/Columbia Symphony Orchestra - Brahms: Symphony No.3 - Columbia MK 42022 / 35DC 87
    Bruno Walter/New York Philharmonic Orchestra - Mahler: Symphony No.2 - 2CD, CBS/Sony 56DC131~132
    Mahler: Symphony 3 - Norma Procter (contralto)/London Symphony Orchestra/Jascha Horenstein - 2CD, Unicorn-Kanchana UKCD 2006/7

Miles Davis - Porgy and Bess - CBS/Sony 35DP 61
    Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain - Columbia CK 08271 / 35DP 63
    Miles Davis - My Funny Valentine - CBS/Sony 35DP 65
    Miles Davis - Miles in Tokyo - CBS/Sony 35DP 67
    Miles Davis - Miles in Berlin - CBS/Sony 35DP 68
    Miles Davis - E.S.P. - CBS/Sony 35DP 69
    Miles Davis' Kind of Blue on Columbia CK 08163 / 35DP 62 does not have PE.

Feel free to quote this message and add to the list any new findings, that way. we'll have an up to date list

Carlox, Solace and Dan Steele like this.
  23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

As far as I know most 35DPs have PE. One of the few that does not have PE, is CBS/Sony 35DP 70, Miles Davis - In a Silent Way.

24. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Does this imply that the Sab Creative Sounds S/T has the same mastering as the CLACD / NELCD?