Pre emphasis list?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by andyinstal, Jul 24, 2007.

1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Eventually I'm going to track down the vinyl of 3, one of my favorite albums of yore :cheers:

Halloween Jack likes this.
  2. Orthonormal

Orthonormal Turbo-nerd

Have pre-emphasis:
    Bruno Walter w/ Columbia Symphony Orchestra; Symphonies 35, 39; MK 42026 / DIDC 50073
    Bruno Walter w/ Columbia Symphony Orchestra; Symphonies 40, 41; MK 42028 / DIDC 50075
    Dire Straits; Alchemy Part One; 25102-2 (from 2-disc set 9 25085-2);Part Two (the second disc) from the same set does not have pre-emphasis.

jfeldt likes this.
  3. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

I finally got the version of Jean-Michel Jarre's Zoolook that has track 7 flagged with pre-emphasis. What a mess.

To summarize there are 3 early pressings of this release, with matrix codes ending in "01 #", "02 *" and "03#"

"01 #" has the original track order and mixes, none are flagged with pre-emphasis (although track 7 looks like it might need it)
    "02 *" is labeled with the original track order and mixes, but actually contains altered track order and remixes, track 7 is flagged with pre-emphasis
    "03#" has the altered track order and remixes.

There are very different masterings of the other tracks on all 3, track by track.

01 Ethnicolor: 01 looks fine, 02 loud with clipping, 03 a little louder than 01 but fine
    02 Diva: 01 looks fine, 02 loud with clipping, 03 a little softer than 01 but fine
    04 Wooloomooloo: All 3 look the same
    06 Blah Blah Cafe: 01 looks fine, 02 loud with clipping, 03 loud with clipping
    07 Ethnicolor II: 01 looks fine, 02 (with de-emphasis) louder, peaking near 0, 03 quieter.

More than I ever wanted to know. Mastering wise, 02 was clearly a mess, with the levels being jacked up too high for the most part.

Front 242 Addict and Yost like this.
  4. oiler1fan

oiler1fan Well-Known Member

Count Basie- Basie in Europe - Japan for Japan, LRC C38-7481, Denon press, PE in Subcode not TOC.

jfeldt likes this.
  5. hotsoup

hotsoup Forum Resident

From other threads and just confirmed from a physical copy:
    Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks, Japan Virgin 32VD-1011 ("black triangle")

dBpoweramp missed it but CUERipper confirmed it.

jfeldt likes this.
  6. hotsoup

hotsoup Forum Resident

Another version of Toto's Isolation (different version) confirmed:
    Japan CBS/Sony 32DP 181
    Found by CUERipper.

LouChang likes this.
  7. c-eling

Here's another variant of ELO's-Secret Messages
    Pre-Emphasis found in the TOC
    DADC Austria Blue Stripe Epic 462487 2 JET-527 in the matrix

jfeldt likes this.
  8. pahrumpf

pahrumpf Well-Known Member

Hmm. Odd. I get different figures for my 01:

DR12 -0.79 dB -17.21 dB 11:42 01-Ethnicolor
    DR15 -0.25 dB -18.51 dB 7:32 02-Diva
    DR14 -0.12 dB -16.26 dB 3:52 03-Zoolook
    DR12 -2.61 dB -18.36 dB 3:19 04-Wooloomooloo
    DR14 -0.68 dB -17.06 dB 4:21 05-Zoolookologie
    DR12 -2.04 dB -15.51 dB 3:21 06-Blah-Blah Cafe
    DR13 -2.37 dB -19.58 dB 3:54 07-Ethnicolor II

Edit: I just noticed your files are .m4a, so the difference is probably a consequence of lossy compression.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  9. Steve Martin

"823 763-2 01 #"?

Mine is a blue face with french labeling (Fabrique en R.F.A).

10. pahrumpf

pahrumpf Well-Known Member

Yes. Exact same matrix (including the "#" at the end). Although, mine is silver-faced, indicates that it is "Made in W. Germany by PolyGram," and has both Polydor and Disques Dreyfus labeling on it.

11. Steve Martin

Paul McCartney - Give My Regards to Broad Street - Parlophone CDP 7 46043 2 - Made in UK - 15 tracks.

This was a surprise to me, I always assumed only the early 18 track version had pre-emphasis. My Capitol Jax CDP 7 46043 2, 15 track copy does NOT.

There is also a Japan pressing of the Parlophone 15 track version, I assume it would also have pre-emphasis, can anyone confirm?

jfeldt likes this.
  12. Steve Martin

I got a copy of the T Bone Burnett title on this list and mine does NOT have pre-emphasis. Does anyone have one that does?

Mine is Made in Japan and has the matrix: MCAD-5809 1A2 72

13. Ricky Roma

Ricky Roma Forum Resident

14. Steve Martin

I like that, "manufacturing error". Like a machine malfunctioned and left off the extra tracks. Um, no.

I wonder if the corrected 14 track versions also have pre-emphasis.

15. Ricky Roma

Ricky Roma Forum Resident

The pressing machine had taste ... it instantly recognised that some corporate was trying to mess around with the album flow and promptly deleted tge offending items :righton:

Dave likes this.
  16. honzator

honzator Forum Resident

Finally got chance for checking an original CP35-3088 (matrix 1B1 Toshiba) black triangle pressing of John Coltrane - Blue Train album. I can finally say that this cd does not have any pre-emphasis. Just for info.

jfeldt likes this.
  17. Steve Martin

Bob James and Earl Klugh - One on One - CBS/Sony 35DP-10 and CBS/Tappan Zee CK 36241 made in Japan with 35DP-10 matrix

18. Ironbelly

Ironbelly Forum Resident

Can anybody confirm/decline presence of pre-emphasis for Black Triangle The Rolling Stones - Tattoo You [CP35-3032]?

I test my copy with matrix CP35-3032-3 1A1 using EAC .095 prebeta3 with manual TOC detection and it did not find pre-emphasis.

19. Steve Martin

Ricky Skaggs - Highways & Heartaches - Epic EK 37996 - Made in Japan

c-eling likes this.
  20. c-eling

Wow, Ricky with pre-, nice find man!

21. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Another Denon produced classical title (for the Supraphon label) - not set in the TOC.

Czech Philharmonic Orchestra/Sir Charles Mackerras, "Janáček Glagolitic Mass", 33C37-7448, C37-7448 | 1A8 5Z matrix

c-eling likes this.
  22. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Can you add

Genesis, "Genesis", Virgin/Charisma, GEN CD1, 814 287-2 01 matrix

to the Atlantic target. The Vertigo disc also shares this mastering. Not flagged in the TOC.

23. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Thanks!!! I'm I glad you posted this. I almost wanted to bid on a 02* matrix Zoolook, thinking it was the same an 01#.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  24. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

There is a silver faced Polydor ‎(823 763-2), and a blue faced Disques Dreyfus ‎(FDM CD-18118) release with this matrix number. Both made by PolyGram in Germany (R.F.A. stands for "République Fédérale d'Allemagne", French for Germany. Nothing to worry about. Keep calm and carry on...

...wait a minute, that 01# disc has higher DR-levels than all other pressings. :faint:

Dave likes this.
  25. TeeBlob

TeeBlob New Member

There was some discussion of this back in post 641, 642, 643. I am convinced some masterings have pre-emphasis even if not properly flagged. Knowing the history of this album, how it was recorded, the reputation of Hugh Padgham, and the usual professionalism of WCI's mastering, etc, I have always suspected pre-emphasis. The CD is just so bright. Never had that problem with the vinyl, which I bought the day it came out.