Pre emphasis list?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by andyinstal, Jul 24, 2007.

1. honzator

honzator Forum Resident

Yes exactly if flags showed up right after you inserted flag it is stored in both TOC+subcode (or at least this is the way it works I think). This cd will be detected in any EAC version. For sure you can try.

2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Yep Kevin, detected in the table of contents, strange how even different county's of press will be different-
    New Order-Low-Life Japan for UK -SUB
    New Order-Low-Life Australia Disctronics -TOC

jfeldt likes this.
  3. honzator

honzator Forum Resident

Great info guys keep it coming! BTW The Smiths 35JC is in some heavy rotation in my home because it sounds so great. Relaxed and smooth, really wonderful & it is pretty easy to find too which is a good thing.

4. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

I was just thinking that maybe a database like Discogs, should have a Pre-Emphasis tag.

hotsoup likes this.
  5. honzator

honzator Forum Resident

Another addition surprisingly from CBS/Sony 35DP 3/4 black-face series. :D

Various Artists - Annie (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (1982) CBS/Sony 35DP-37 1st Japanese Gold-Face pressing.
    Matrix: 35DP-37-3 1B3 in crude matrix style. “MANUFACTURED BY CBS/SONY RECORDS INC.” embossed around the inner ring. Flagged only in sub-code.

For completists here are the peak levels. If you can find one that match the values below you don't need to bother checking for PE. It will surely have it as the same mastering.

84.3% / 89.9% / 48.8% / 58.3% / 79.3% / 88.5% / 100% / 83.1% / 100% / 83.2% / 100% / 79.8% / 81.1% / 61.3% / 88.0%

Hope this helps.

paulisdead and c-eling like this.
  6. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

Interesting that Disctornics used Pre-Emph. I wonder if they just copied the UK master?

c-eling likes this.
  7. c-eling

I'll have to re-check the peak levels on it to be certain, as far as I know every edition of low-life except for the US Qwest has pre-emph
    All pre-remaster ELO-Secret Messages and Pet Shop Boys-Please carry it also
    Howard Jones-Human's Lib was later re-issued in the mid or so 90's de-emphed, all early copies have it, suffice to say even with the eq added it still is a bright presentation
    I'm doing a lp transfer right now, after I'll post low-life peaks, I think they are different...

8. c-eling

Nope, same levels as the Japan for UK, pre-emph tag is just located differently

paulisdead likes this.
  9. c-eling

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    Kyhl and jfeldt like this.
  10. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Harry Nilsson - Harry Nilsson's Greatest Hits - RCA PD 89081 - Made in Japan for Europe

[​IMG]

Only other RCA title I've seen with pre-emphasis is Chess so this was a surprise!

Son of a Zombie, jfeldt and c-eling like this.
  11. c-eling

Nice find Steve!

12. Steve Martin

I just got what looks to be a 14 track WG "01" matrix pressing and it does not have pre-emphasis. It has no barcode so is an early pressing. That 11 track version must be hard to find. Is that number you "5012..." a barcode or a matrix?

13. Steve Martin

Not many targets have pre-emphasis but add one more to the list!

Neil Young and the Shocking Pinks - Everybody's Rockin' - Geffen 4013-2 - W. Germany target

[​IMG]

14. Steve Martin

Joan Baez - Live Europe 83: Children of the Eighties - Ariola 610 186_880 - Made in Japan

[​IMG] [​IMG]

c-eling and jfeldt like this.
  15. Steve Martin

Ugh. Strike 2. Got one with the right bar code and it is a PDO UK pressing (with a silver "almost to center" though), starting to bronze a bit.

But, it has 14 tracks an no pre-emphasis....

16. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

i a/b'd the j-for-us, w/ the vertigo today...im worried my 2005 sonty sacd player scd ce595 doesnt decode PE........ big difference in the two, the vertigo being way brighter

17. Natcat

Natcat Forum Resident

I agree. I moved away from EAC years ago, it's ancient by today's standards. Cueripper, part of Cuetools http://www.cuetools.net/wiki/Main_Page is faster, free and up to date, and after testing, always found PE flags in both the TOC and Subcode. The same can be said for XLD for Mac OS X http://tmkk.undo.jp/xld/index_e.html

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  18. Duan

Duan Forum Resident

is there a way to know where PE flags are located with XLD?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  19. Steve Martin

Not easily. I guess if you check the "don't detect pregap, IRSC, and MCN" and it still shows it that would show it is in the TOC, but I haven't tested that.

20. vlds8

vlds8 Forum Resident

Found another by accident, extracted and played file = spikes in my ears, but sounds great played directly from the CD:

Marillion - Real To Reel - early WG CD -

Marillion - Real To Reel »

Someone needs to hack EAC to sound a loud alarm upon insertion of a CD with pre emphasis ;)

Steve Martin and c-eling like this.
  21. Ricky Roma

Ricky Roma Forum Resident

Wow, that is strange. Sounds the same version as mine - silver to the middle and bronzed (mine is very bronzed courtesy of the dodgy PDO Blackburn plant). It definitely has PE though as I had to remove it for PC playback.

22. Ricky Roma

Ricky Roma Forum Resident

Picked up another old copy of this CD, case, booklet and barcode exactly the same as my other copy 501298123528
    This one has all 14 tracks and no PE
    matrix code is CDV2325 101011 01 on this CD
    matrix code is CDV2325 19801011 06 on the PE 11 track one.

23. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Barbra Streisand, Guilty, CDCBS 86122, no barcode, Japan for EU. From 1984 according to Discogs.com.
    "Made in Japan" in the outer ring of the disc, "35DP-7 ..." in the matrix number.
    Uses the Japanese 35DP 7 mastering. So it has pr-emphasis.

jfeldt and c-eling like this.
  24. Chordeater

Chordeater Forum Resident

And what about the Mowtown MCD06007MD - Made in Germany (same for Can't Slow Down Motown MCD06059MD). Is pre-emphasis present too?
    Thanks!

25. oiler1fan

oiler1fan Well-Known Member

Also the 1994 re-press.
    Chess - RCA PCD2-5340 - RCA/Victor Made in USA

c-eling likes this.