Pre emphasis list?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by andyinstal, Jul 24, 2007.

1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

No problem, quite a few additions, it needed a little help :laugh:

Yost likes this.
  2. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Another early Denon CD featuring track subcode-only PE:

Huguette Dreyfus - Scarlatti: 14 Sonatas (Denon 38C37-7095, Japan) [1984]

c-eling likes this.
  3. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Are you sure about these two?
    I think that the original Zoolook only has PE flags in the "02" matrix number mastering. The "01" and "03" don't have it, AFAIK.
    I have an original 35 8P-38 Nena S/T album that has no PE flags, but sounds to me like it needs it. I wonder, being earlier in the range than the 35 8P-42, why would it not have PE?

c-eling likes this.
  4. c-eling

No clue Yost, those were already in the list previously compiled from May 2015, I added to it from there
    Some later pressings may have added the proper EQ
    An example would be
    Neil Diamond-12 Greatest Hits Volume II CK 38068 is listed as having it, my later IFPI press with the same catalog number does not have pre-emphasis
    Edit:It helps when new submissions are made that the location of the tag be listed as well, I tried updating the list with them included

Last edited: May 23, 2016
    Yost likes this.
  5. hotsoup

hotsoup Forum Resident

I have Nena (S/T) Japan for Europe CBS CDCBS 25264, DIDP 10003

I'll try to remember to take a look when I get home from work.

Yost and c-eling like this.
  6. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

There is only one track on the "02" matrix mastering of Zoolook that has a PE flag (track 7). I've tracked down 01, 02, and 03 to verify that. None of the other masterings have PE flags.

Dave, c-eling and Yost like this.
  7. hotsoup

hotsoup Forum Resident

I can confirm this version does NOT have pre-emphasis. Other matrix run-out: 11A4 +++++

I can't comment on other versions though.

Yost likes this.
  8. Have you ever heard a pre-emph'd CD that actually sounded better without removing the pre-emphasis?

tmtomh likes this.
  9. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Never.

Also, on players, my Oppo BDP-105 detects it, but I only have a couple of CDs with pre-emphasis, so I don't know if the Oppo detects TOC only or also SubQ - anyone know?

10. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Never.

c-eling likes this.
  11. c-eling

All BDP Oppo's TOC only, unfortunately...

Last edited: May 24, 2016
    tmtomh likes this.
  12. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

Thank you for the updated collated list c-eling!

c-eling likes this.
  13. Y9771

Y9771 time traveller

two more CDs that have pre-emphasis:

BIX - Doozgle (ZNCD033, 1993)
    Amii Ozaki - Miracle (PCCA-00236, this is reissue from 1991, so first issue D35A-0029 from 1983 probably has PE too)

Both have PE flags in TOC

jfeldt and c-eling like this.
  14. c-eling

Pre-emphasis from a 1993 release?, good God, thanks for the submission and welcome to the forum :cheers:

15. Y9771

Y9771 time traveller

Thanks for the welcome :) I've been occasionally reading this forum for several years.

Yes, I was also very surprised to find that this disc from 1993 has PE. That's probably the only disc from Lithuania to have that. Pressed by DADC Austria, by the way.

Also this pirate pressing of ELO's "Discovery" has PE (flags in TOC) https://www.discogs.com/Electric-Light-Orchestra-Discovery/release/8469958
    Very interesting IMHO, as I haven't heard of any other pirate releases to have pre-emphasis...

c-eling likes this.
  16. c-eling

Probably sourced from the Jet 200 DADC Austria which carries it also, they probably had no clue :laugh:

17. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

You clearly are not paying attention to this thread... ;) Nippon Columbia continued to release CDs with pre-emphasis in late 1990s & in the 21 century, too.

c-eling likes this.
  18. c-eling

I actually have, but for a non-classical title I found it odd :righton:

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  19. Y9771

Y9771 time traveller

I think I've got 2 additional titles, but these seem to have PE in subcode only, as EAC (newer version than 0.95) showed No for Pre-emphasis, but they do sound a bit too bright on treble when played on computer and normally when played on player.

Masaki Ueda - Songs (35DH 67, CBS/Sony, 1983, matrix 35DH-67 21A4 +++++, CSR stamped in hub)
    Parachute - Colours (D35R0002, Agharta (Canyon Records), 1982.11, matrix D35R-0002 11A2 +++++, most likely made by CBS/Sony ?)

Because of year I suspected these might have PE (just got them today) and checked.
    Sadly none of them have crude font matrix - I've been wanting to get one these earliest pressing for quite a long time, but it seems that it's very hard and expensive to get them...

I think PE CDs are very interesting and they do sound very well to me. Sadly they are hard to find and there aren't much of them.

20. Y9771

Y9771 time traveller

Just tried using CUERipper and cuesheets generated for CDs I mentioned above have flags PRE.

jfeldt likes this.
  21. Y9771

Y9771 time traveller

3 additional with PE flags in subcode only:

Sugiyama Kiyotaka & Omega Tribe - Never Ending Summer (1984, Vap, 80006, matrix VAP-80006 2A2 92) judging by matrix font made by Nippon Columbia
    Reimy - Pansy (1985, Columbia, 33C31-7518, matrix C31-7518 1A4 55 )
    Kaoru Sudo - Tear-Drops Calendar (1985, CBS/Sony, 32DH 193, matrix 32DH-193 11A2 +++++, 3x CSR COMPACT DISC stamped in hub)

2 flagged in TOC

Sadao Watanabe - Maisha (1985, 32XD-4, Warner-Pioneer, matrix 32XD-4 11A8 +++++) target
    Toto - Turn Back (CK36813, matrix DIDP-050005 2 + ++ +++++) USA made, DADC logo stamped in hub

22. Steve Martin

Dan Fogelberg - Phoenix - Full Moon/Epic EK 35634 - Made in Japan - Manufactured by CBS/Sony Records, Inc. in clear hub - matrix DIDP 20037 21A2

jfeldt and c-eling like this.
  23. c-eling

Where was the tag Steve? When I update in a few months I'll add it, nice find btw :cheers:

24. Steve Martin

I really don't know since I use XLD and I don't know if there is a way to differentiate with it. I guess I need a tool that only detects the TOC to be able to check.

By the way this is a VERY quiet mastering. like Mirage quiet.

c-eling likes this.
  25. Y9771

Y9771 time traveller

another one, flagged in TOC:

Yuji Toriyama - A Taste Of Paradise (1995 bounce-0007, originally issued in 1985 (cat/no D32Y0017), so most likely original issue had PE too)

c-eling likes this.