Pre emphasis list?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by andyinstal, Jul 24, 2007.

1. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Drats !! :realmad: I guess there's always Sox and WaveEmph ...

OK, I did find this for my 1st question:

So EAC looks only at the TOC initially, but you can force it to also look at the subchannels.

2. George P

George P Notable Member

What about Toast 9? Does it recognize pre-emphasis on files and subsequently de-emphasize the burned CD-R?

3. kevin5brown

I have this on my list of things to do, but it might take a while. I have a CD or 2 with PE. If you've seen me post in a few other threads, you can use Audacity and Excel to compare the EQ curves of different wav files. (I and others have used this to look at different masterings of the same title.)

I want to compare the resulting EQs of:

a) a PE CD played back analogly by my "std" CD player
    b) the digital wav file run through WaveEmph
    c) the digital wav file run through Sox

and any others applications that are free. :) (Suggest away.) I have seen comments both good and not so good about both WaveEmph and Sox. I'm curious. :righton:

4. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

Only in older versions - .95pb3 is what I use for this:

http://www.rjamorim.com/rrw/eac.html

I manually extracted the files to a different subdirectory and the new (.99pb4) and old versions live happily on the same machine.

5. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

No, you have to recognize the PE 'by ear' and check off the PE flags manually in Toast 9.

iTunes still decodes Pre-Emphasis, but again, it depends *how* it was flagged on the CD. Some CD's it recognizes PE, some it doesn't.

'Men At Work-Cargo' CBS

Made in the good 'ol USA via DADC. Has Pre-Emphasis.

6. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Okay, this freaked me out, so i just checked it. I recently updated iTunes to v8.0.2. (Mac OS.) It is still detecting and de-emphasizing my 35DP Wish You Were Here.

There are some CDs with faulty PE flags -- most notably the CP35 Abbey Road. iTunes has never gotten that one right. (If you rip and re-burn a copy with the PE flag set in Toast, iTunes works correctly with it, though.)

7. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes, I found your post in another thread, where I thanked you. This solution seems to be the easiest, as it doe not require a cue sheet. By using this thread and Toast 9, people can easily create backup CD-Rs of their CDs with pre-emphasis that will play perfectly in their Cd players! Thanks again! :righton:

Also good to know. Thanks again!

8. Hmm, can't recall which CD I tested my iTunes installation with. Might just have been one with "faulty" PE flags. I'll try it again. Thanks :wave:

-s1m0n-

9. kevin5brown

Man, I am still using V0.9 pb 11! :righton:

But also good to know iTunes still works too. So then I could compare iTunes with WaveEmph and Sox. Have to do Christmas cards 1st. :shh:

10. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Hi,

Do you mean Japan for Japan 35DP's? Or all 35DP's, like Japan for US and Japan for Europe? I have a Japan for US Footloose CD 35DP-129 matrix, that has no pre-emphasis.

Rick

11. OK, very strange PE entry here.

I was checking a recent batch of CDs for pre-emphasis flags using Exact Audio Copy (ver. 0.95 pre-beta 3). Included in the batch were these two discs:

Electric Light Orchestra - A New World Record - SRCS-9432 Sony Records Japan
    Electric Light Orchestra - Discovery - SRCS-9434 Sony Records Japan

Going in I had no reason to think either of these would have PE but I'm just trying to be thorough, I think the original first pressings did have PE, and I've been surprised before.

Well imagine my surprise when the Discovery disc showed as having pre-emphasis, and in the TOC versus the sub-channels! Stranger still since the other SRCS ELO disc did not show as having PE.

So either this is just an oddity/leftover or someone here was correct in saying you just can't always trust EAC to get it right when checking for PE.

-s1m0n-

12. Poaalpina

Poaalpina Forum Resident

Vangelis: Opera Sauvage (p)1979 Spheric B.V. Holland
    829 662-2
    made in France by PMDC
    (P)1979 Polydor S.A. Paris
    Made in West Germany Printed in West Germany
    --------------------------------------------------------
    EAC CUE file:

REM GENRE instrumental
    REM DATE 1979
    REM DISCID 650A1907
    REM COMMENT "ExactAudioCopy v0.99pb4"
    CATALOG 0042282966322
    PERFORMER "Vangelis"
    TITLE "Opera Sauvage"
    FILE "Opera Sauvage.ape" WAVE
    TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Hymne"
    PERFORMER "Vangelis"
    ISRC FRF067900070
    FLAGS PRE
    INDEX 00 00:00:00
    INDEX 01 00:00:32
    TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "Reve"
    PERFORMER "Vangelis"
    ISRC FRF067900080
    FLAGS PRE
    INDEX 00 02:42:02
    INDEX 01 02:46:35
    TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "L'enfant"
    PERFORMER "Vangelis"
    ISRC FRF067900090
    FLAGS PRE
    INDEX 00 15:13:50
    INDEX 01 15:18:60
    TRACK 04 AUDIO
    TITLE "Mouettes"
    PERFORMER "Vangelis"
    ISRC FRF067900100
    FLAGS PRE
    INDEX 00 20:16:40
    INDEX 01 20:24:22
    TRACK 05 AUDIO
    TITLE "Chromatique"
    PERFORMER "Vangelis"
    ISRC FRF067900110
    FLAGS PRE
    INDEX 00 22:52:55
    INDEX 01 22:55:12
    TRACK 06 AUDIO
    TITLE "Irlande"
    PERFORMER "Vangelis"
    ISRC FRF067900120
    FLAGS PRE
    INDEX 00 26:20:62
    INDEX 01 26:26:60
    TRACK 07 AUDIO
    TITLE "Flamants roses*"
    PERFORMER "Vangelis"
    ISRC FRF067900130
    FLAGS PRE
    INDEX 00 31:10:15
    INDEX 01 31:14:40

13. Thanks for posting but I'm confused. Is the disc itself made in France or West Germany?

-s1m0n-

14. OK, well after a lot of testing of my collection and recent buys, I finally found a West Germany aluminum-to-center CD that has pre-emphasis (and in the TOC vs. the sub-channels which is less common):

Rian De Waal - Romantic Transcriptions - 1984 Etcetera Records B.V., aluminum face save for 1/4 white "stripe" on the left edge.

For a minute I had convinced myself that no West Germany aluminum-to-center CDs had pre-emphasis (certainly not very many do, nothing like their Japan contemopraries).

-s1m0n-

15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

New addition

Toto IV - Original CD had pre-emphasis
    Toto-Hydra 35DP-42 Japan
    Billy Joel - 52nd St. (Japan for Japan / Japan for US)
    Billy Joel - Glass Houses (Japan for Japan / Japan for US)
    Pink Floyd-Wish You Were Here-35DP4
    The Wall CK2 and related masterings
    Genesis-Genesis(S/T) WG Target and Vertigo 800 series CD's
    Beatles - Abbey Road - EMI CP35-3016 (Black Triangle)
    Anthony Braxton - Quartet (London) 1985 - 2CD, Leo CD LR 200/201
    Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon - EMI CP35-3017 (non-TO, non-CDP)
    Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run - Columbia CK 33795 / 35DP 21
    Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town - CBS/Sony 32DP 351
    Bruce Springsteen- Darkness On The Edge Of Town Japan CBS For Europe DIDP matrix)
    Roger Waters' "Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking" Dutch EMI/Harvest (CDP 7 46029 2) / US Columbia/CBS (CK 39290)
    All Black Sabbath CLACD and NELCDs have it.
    The Velvet Underground - VU
    Quarterflash - S/T, Japanese target pressing.
    New Order - Low Life, Factory Records import. I can't remember if it was French made or UK made. I'll have to check tonight.
    Klaus Schulze: Irrlicht (AVI CD)
    Vangelis: Opera Sauvage (European CD, possibly the same one still in print now)
    Paul McCartney - Pipes of Peace / CDP 7 46018 2 (Made in Japan)
    Paul McCartney - Give my Regards to Broadstreet / CDP 7 46018 2 (Made in Japan)
    Paul McCartney's Tug of War has pre-emphasis, as does my old U.S. Columbia copy of Pink Floyd's The Wall.
    - My US-issued, Japan-made Columbia Tug of War CD doesn't have PE. But the Japanese black-triangle disc definitely does.
    She's Having a Baby - OST
    Anthony Braxton - Six Compositions (Quartet) 1984 - Black Saint[/QUOTE]
    Creative Sounds S/T.[/QUOTE]
    The Blue Nile - Hats (1989 US; Linn/A&M CD 5284) [PROMOTIONAL stamp on label]
    Ultravox - Vienna / CCD 1296 (UK Chrysalis)
    Mike Oldfield-Tubular Bells WG CDV 2001 and Japan VJD-23001
    Men At Work-Cargo CK 38660(U.S) and 35 8P-16(both have PE)
    Lionel Richie - Can't Slow Down (US Motown)
    Lionel Richie-Can't Slow Down (Motown MCD 06059MD Japan for U.S. CD)
    Black Sabbath Master of Reality Castle NELCD 6004, supposedly
    Electric Light Orchestra - Discovery (Made in Austria, epic 450083 2, JET-500 11) but also the "non-TO, with CDP" pressing.

Bruno Walter/Columbia Symphony Orchestra - Bruckner: Symphony No.4 - CBS/Sony 35DC 117
    Bruno Walter/Columbia Symphony Orchestra - Bruckner: Symphony No.9 - CBS/Sony 35DC 114
    Bruno Walter/Columbia Symphony Orchestra - Brahms: Symphony No.2 - Columbia MK 42021 / 35DC 86
    Bruno Walter/Columbia Symphony Orchestra - Brahms: Symphony No.3 - Columbia MK 42022 / 35DC 87
    Bruno Walter/New York Philharmonic Orchestra - Mahler: Symphony No.2 - 2CD, CBS/Sony 56DC131~132
    Mahler: Symphony 3 - Norma Procter (contralto)/London Symphony Orchestra/Jascha Horenstein - 2CD, Unicorn-Kanchana UKCD 2006/7

Miles Davis - Porgy and Bess - CBS/Sony 35DP 61
    Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain - Columbia CK 08271 / 35DP 63
    Miles Davis - My Funny Valentine - CBS/Sony 35DP 65
    Miles Davis - Miles in Tokyo - CBS/Sony 35DP 67
    Miles Davis - Miles in Berlin - CBS/Sony 35DP 68
    Miles Davis - E.S.P. - CBS/Sony 35DP 69
    Miles Davis' Kind of Blue on Columbia CK 08163 / 35DP 62 does not have PE
    Miles Davis - In a Silent Way - CBS/Sony 35DP 70 does not have PE

Jethro Tull - Under Wraps - Chrysalis 610 203 made in West-Germany (1984)
    Michael Jackson - Off the Wall - Epic/Sony Records ESCA 5407 made in Japan

Feel free to quote this message and add to the list any new findings, that way. we'll have an up to date list

16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Virtually all Denon classical CD issues have PE. The Denon Digital Audio Check Disc has PE.

17. I concur, this is true for releases in the 1980's with the two-thirds black-face discs (two black "stripes" on either side of a mirror band in the middle) but not so much for the 1990's discs with red stripes on the disc label.

-s1m0n-

Dave likes this.
  18. George P

George P Notable Member

Does the CP32 for Piper at the Gates of Dawn by Pink Floyd have pre-emphasis?

19. George P

George P Notable Member

A gentle bump for the above question.

20. MartinGr

MartinGr Senior Member

European version has PE too:

CBS CD 32023 / CDCBS 62327 (DADC Austria)

21. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I don't think so. My CD player is one of the few that does not handle PE, but the disc sounds fine on it. If it had PE it would be very hissy, so...

22. jabbo5150

jabbo5150 Forum Resident

I am on a Mac running iTunes 8.1. I am not sure if any CD I have has pre-emphasis on it or not. I have a handful of Targets, but seemingly not the ones listed. Anyhow, how would iTunes indicate if it has it or not?

I've typically just used Toast 10 and made disc images of CDs when burning and they seem to come out fine. is that not optimal?

I have a Technics SL-PG350 CD player. Does that handle pre-emphasis CDs? I know nothing about any of this

23. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Difficult to know, but the vast majority of CD players have de-emphasis; and if it's an older model (say made before 2000) it most certainly has it.

24. George P

George P Notable Member

I am not sure, I think that someone said that they do, but my ears tell me that Toast does a much better job.

The way I do it is rip to FLAC and click the pre-emphasis option when burning. I use Toast 9.

You might be able to tell, as your CDs will likely sound overly bright if it doesn't handle pre-emphasis. But I believe that most players handle pre-emphasis.

25. jabbo5150

jabbo5150 Forum Resident

Yeah, it's from 1994 or 1995 I believe. Nice player, especially for what I paid for it (nothing)