Pre emphasis list?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by andyinstal, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Kevin Sypolt

Kevin Sypolt Senior Member

Two more:

Willie Nelson - Always on My Mind - CBS/Sony 35DP 28 Japan for Japan
    Willie Nelson - Somewhere Over The Rainbow - CBS/Sony 35DP 121 Japan for Japan

No Preemphasis:
    Willie Nelson - Stardust - CBS/Sony 35DP 120 Japan for Japan did NOT have pre-emphasis... !?! I assumed this would...

Thanks,
    Kevin

c-eling likes this.
  2. Y9771

Y9771 time traveller

To my surprise, no pre-emphasis:
    China Crisis- Difficult Shapes & Passice Rhythms... (1st UK issue 1985 - CTA Co. Ltd. Japan pressing)
    I thought it will have PE, but it didn't...
    In the past, I've downloaded a rip of this album from torrents to check out if I like it (I did :) ), and it has PE mastering. However, it was uncredited which edition it was ripped from. Now I'm interested in finding which pressing has PE.

Other known editions on unremastered CD:
    USA 2-90632 - Nimbus pressing
    UK CDV 2243 - Sonopress pressing (2nd UK pressing?)
    Japan VJD-28216 - reissue from 1989
    UK CDV 2243 - much later Sonopress pressing, with Sonopress logo in matrix already

if you have any of these, please check for pre-emphasis

3. Y9771

Y9771 time traveller

another entry:
    Tsukasa Itoh - Tsukasa
    1983 Japan Record 35JC-5, matrix 35JC-5 41A9 +++++
    flags in subcode only

Dave and c-eling like this.
  4. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Can I add this one? It really sounds like PE is there, but EAC's not detecting it. Maybe the flag was set incorrectly?
    Santana - Marathon
    CK 36154, standard US pressing

The treble sounds unnatural on this version compared to the Friday Music remaster and the Japan mini-LP. In addition, the DR numbers for the US CD seem abnormally high:
    Album details - Dynamic Range Database

Here's the hi-res version from Qubuz for comparison:
    Album details - Dynamic Range Database

c-eling likes this.
  5. Ken K

Ken K Forum Resident

Would utilizing pre-emphasis be useful when making CD's of needledrops?

6. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

It's a good possibility DG as a few other Santana's carry pre. The tag could be located in the SUB channel.

7. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

It’s funny to read this. I have the actual Japanese 35 8P-42 Nena CD and XLD doesn’t detect pre-emphasis on it. But it sounds better when de-emphasised.

Dave likes this.
  8. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

That pressing most definitely does have pre-emphasis are you sure you have "Don't detect pregap, ISRC and MCN" unchecked under the CD Rip options?

Yost likes this.
  9. Yost

Yes, all the settings are correct and normally XLD has no problem at all with detecting pre-emphasis. But my copy of this title seems to be missing the flags.

10. c-eling

You have no issues detecting pre where the flag is located in the SUB Q channel Joost?
    It's where I'm assuming this one is placed.

Yost likes this.
  11. Yost

No issues, I’m doing the right thing in XLD. I’m sure, detected many other discs with PRE flags in the sub channel.

PS. We discussed this disc before: De-emphasis for Nena S/T CD (Japan 35-8P-38)? .

c-eling likes this.
  12. dartira

dartira rise and shine like a far out superstar

IIRC, it’s the same with the old WEA of Howard Jones’ Humans Lib.
    No flags to be found but definitely processed with pre-emphasis.

c-eling and Yost like this.
  13. Yost

I don’t think pre-emphasis is useful anymore, nowadays. If you want to EQ your needledrops, just use the EQ that’s needed.

As I understand it, pre-emphasis was a means of compensating for poor/cheap early DAC design and improving the sound afterwards in the analog domain. It was only used in the early days of CDs. Luckily it’s part of the Redbook standard, so modern day players still need to support it. But on computer optical drives it’s mostly unsupported.

14. c-eling

Correct, the tag is located in the SUB Q channel for the early Euro's.
    Early Japan for US -table of contents

Dave and dartira like this.
  15. honzator

honzator Forum Resident

Here are some that I forget to mention:

Al Di Meola - Tour De Force - Live {CBS/Sony 35DP-41 Gold-Face}, matrix: 35DP-41-3 1A1 “MANUFACTURED BY CBS/SONY RECORDS INC.”, crude font on opposite sides of matrix band
    Peak levels: 71.2% / 60.3% / 74.4% / 63.3% / 80.8% / 69.0%
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Carpenters - Voice Of The Heart {A&M Records 38XB-4}, matrix: 38XB-4 11A3 “MANUFACTURED BY CBS/SONY RECORDS INC.”, partial black face
    Peak levels: 65.5% / 89.1% / 75.9 % / 56.7% / 93.5% / 61.2% / 55.6% / 100% / 76.3% / 51.2%
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Quincy Jones - The Dude {A&M Records 38XB-1}, matrix: 38XB-1 11 “MANUFACTURED BY CBS/SONY RECORDS INC.”, partial black face
    Peak levels: 92.3% / 92.7% /51.5% / 82.2% / 58.5% / 69.5% / 58.8% / 44.7% / 83.6%
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Art Garfunkel - Scissors Cut {CBS/Sony 38DP-22 Gold-Face}, matrix: 38DP-22-14 1A1 “MANUFACTURED BY CBS/SONY RECORDS INC.”, crude font on opposite sides of matrix band
    Peak levels: 100% / 82.1% / 76.0% / 100% / 51.7% / 69.8% / 100% / 97.7% / 73.5% / 58.8%

ALL located only in subcode channel after manual detection or with latest CUERipper.

jfeldt and c-eling like this.
  16. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Sounds like he was saying the code was missing completely from the early WEA Human's Lib. I wasn't aware of that. Mine has them in the subcode.

c-eling likes this.
  17. sa5150

sa5150 Forum Resident

Does this mean there is no way to copy the cds to a flashdrive to play in a car player so nothing gets scratched ?

How about Blu-ray players , Are they capable of correct playback of the cds ?

18. Yost

After ripping CDs with pre-emphasis you have to post-process the audio files to de-emphasise them. I’m on a Mac and use SoX for this. Please search the forum to find info on other audio software that’s capable of doing this. It was discussed.

I don’t know about Blue-ray players, so can’t help you there.

sa5150 and c-eling like this.
  19. sa5150

sa5150 Forum Resident

Thanks , How do you if any of my cds have pre-emphasis ? Is there tester software ?

20. c-eling

1st by getting an idea from the full list (of what we have so far) a few pages back.
    I use a pc, so for me if the tag is located in the table of contents, DBPoweramp will show it has it when it loads the disc.
    EAC will detect it automatically in the TOC also. Now for SUBQ, that's a bit trickier. You can use an old pre-beta of EAC and do a Detect TOC Manually. Now this will only work on older rom drives, On my newer one's it just goes into a scan loop. I'm thinking most newer cd/br/dvd players should add the proper EQ via analog out if the tag is located in the TOC, you can test a disc by having your player hooked up both ways, digital and analog out and switch back and forth from your receiver's inputs. You will hear a major difference if it has it

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    sa5150 likes this.
  21. Yost

I use XLD on a Mac to detect pre-emphasis while ripping. You need to change some settings to get it to show the PRE flags in the cue file. Instructions are somewhere on this forum, but I’m not sure where. Please use the search function.

sa5150 and c-eling like this.
  22. Y9771

Y9771 time traveller

another addition to list, not a surprising one

Seiko Matsuda - Index (1982) CBS/Sony 35DH 14
    matrix 35DH-14-5 1A1 (neat font, not crude), "MANUFACTURED BY CBS/SONY RECORDS INC." stamped in hub
    flags in subcode only

c-eling, jfeldt and Dave like this.
  23. Y9771

Y9771 time traveller

Found a disc which I believe is mastered with pre-emphasis but there's no flags. I put it on and it sounded just like it. Made a CD-R copy with flags applied, and sounds OK now, not very bright but just fine. Maybe because of it someone took flags away thinking they were applied by mistake.

disc in question is:
    REO Speedwagon - Wheels Are Turnin'
    EK 39593 - early DADC pressing with hub text, matrix: DIDP 20149 141

If anyone here has an unremastered copy of this CD, it would be interesting to hear your opinions.

24. c-eling

I have a 32 8P Japan en-route. I'll update when I receive it

Y9771 and Dave like this.
  25. d.s.l.

d.s.l. Forum Resident ^O;O^

My copy is:
    Epic EK 39593 / DIDP 020149 03 2A 03
    No pre-emphasis & sounds as it should - not too bright, not too dull.