Pre-Recorded Cassette Tape Albums are rising in prices!!!

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Chris_G, Aug 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

They usually refuse CDs and even DVDs too..

2. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

A lot of opportunity shops no longer take cassettes.

3. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

Refusing CDs and DVDs? That I've not seen.
    There is 'hipster' music charity shop in Glasgow that still stocks cassettes.

Pablo Bernal likes this.
  4. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

I sell plenty of cassettes.

And it's a market segment that is growing faster than vinyl at the moment.

To be clear, most of the action that I see is in sealed cassettes of collectible bands.

bleachershane likes this.
  5. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Goodwill just raised prices on cassettes from .10 to .25. Get in before the price explodes.

6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

A lot of people have never heard a cassette tape played on a high end deck so they have no idea how good they can sound. I buy used tapes all the time and use my Nakamichi Dragon just as much as my turntables or SACD player.

7. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

Pleased to hear that. I read that Burger Records and a couple of other labels are doing quite good business selling cassettes of new bands.
    Perhaps I should start offering home-duplicated tapes of some of my recordings on Bandcamp.

8. Fill Your Head

Fill Your Head Forum Resident

A cassette in a Sony Walkman still sounds better than an MP3,though.Well,it would if I could find one.

9. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Certainly would not hurt.

You can also do small runs of 100/200 professionally duplicated without incurring the costs of doing the same as a record or CD.

duplication.ca Audio Cassette Duplication Service - Best Place to Make Tapes »

Shak Cohen likes this.
  10. Agent of Fortune

Agent of Fortune Däncing Barefoot

They've been 50c here for a while now, but yeah. It's a thing now.

Now if only they had anything good.... :whistle:

11. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

To be clear, are you saying that cassette tapes have sonic capabilities equivalent to vinyl or SACD on a high end deck, or that you enjoy hearing cassette tapes as much as you enjoy hearing vinyl and SACD, despite the technical limitations of cassettes?

12. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

It only sounds better to you because of bias.

13. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Agreed. I grew up in the cassette era with a Walkman and virtually any MP3 of at least 192 kbps or up sound better than cassettes in a Walkman.

Nostaljack and Synthfreek like this.
  14. -19db

-19db Active Member

I still have some "Reference Recordings by Nakamichi" cassettes. They still sound great played back on CR7A.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  15. Dynamic Ranger

Dynamic Ranger Forum Resident

Lol. My local Goodwill doesn't even sell ANY cassettes anymore! I don't blame them. Nobody wants them in this day and age. Useless!
    Now, the good type II blanks? I love them! I have no problem listening to and recording cassettes on a daily basis. But pre recorded cassettes have ALWAYS sucked.

16. Dynamic Ranger

Dynamic Ranger Forum Resident

100% agreed.
    And don't listen to what some of the others have said. it's NOT because of bias. All mp3's sound REPULSIVE.

17. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

I see what you did there...

Ed

18. bug2362

bug2362 Forum Resident

I always had a problem with the cassette tape- had a real nice Onkyo player in the early 90's- would spend a long time making a real cool mix- tape and then it would get eaten in my car deck..... Beyond frustrating! - I couldn't believe it when I saw cassettes were " back again"

19. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

My wife has a friend that she has lunch with every now and then, she's an elderly lady , in here 80's.
    Last week my wife came home with a Sony TCM-16, a portable cassette player. The lady said she
    wanted to give it to me because I like music so much. At first I laughed then i realized the lady was
    just trying to be nice. I didn't think there was any of these things left. Now you I read this thread.. ha!
    I still like the tapes I made of my albums, and still listen to them in my truck, they sound great, brings
    back good memories.

I would like to get rid of a couple of hundred VHS tapes of movies both pre-recored and copied, I
    guess that won't happen. I figure who ever goes through my stuff after I die can deal with them. :)

20. Nostaljack

All the hyper-bowl...

Ed

Stallings likes this.
  21. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Part of it is many Walkpersons had better (meaty) output stages that are current rich.:thumbsup:

22. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Here's a Hipster.....;) ....:)
    [​IMG]

Sax-son and Dynamic Ranger like this.
  23. Nostaljack

I thought PBR was a "white trash" thing...

Ed

24. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

That image looks like about 90% of people walking around out there. That means there must be a lot of hipsters then. No wonder the price of vinyl has gone up and the selection is down. There is an invasion going on.

Dynamic Ranger and Larry Mc like this.
  25. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

My Ipod must be defective then cos it sounds great. Admittedly there's no hiss or wobbly pitch like with a Walkman but you can't have everything I suppose.

ElevatorSkyMovie and Merrick like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.